Tyler-y rolled edges.

What's Hot
Inspired by things discussed in The Thread That Shall Not Be Named, I got out my abrasives and did this:

I like it. Much nicer neck to hold now, much nicer for thumb-over stuff, just generally obviously basically better. Surprised this isn't more common. :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    That is extreme- just like the tylers though.

good job
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    There was a bit of a worry immediately after I tuned it back up - basically that more surface area = more friction when sliding your hand up and down the neck. Either the effect has worn off or I have adapted and ceased to notice, however.
    Tylers, by the way, are the only fancy-pants booteek superstrats I've ever liked. I'd happily have one to fill my strat-gap some day.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    EdGrip;394159" said:
    Tylers, by the way, are the only fancy-pants booteek superstrats I've ever liked. I'd happily have one to fill my strat-gap some day.
    As a man looking to sell a Tyler we really should talk about your 'some day'
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10310
    I roll all the necks of my guitars using the side of a screwdriver method.Subtle but effective.

Obviously no good on lacquered maple boards.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16746
    edited October 2014
    actually its the only option on lacquered boards - but it doesn't work well with modern fenders as the lacquer adhesion is poor.  I wouldn't trying it but plenty of people do.   i know this because they tell me I am doing it wrong so every time i post my razor blade method  ;)

on anything else you can use a blades or abrasives to your hearts content
  • What thoroughly un-British workmanship.  Well done sir. 

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    @DrBob - I just had a look for lolz. It's a beautiful thing - but not totally stupid in the way that I love Tylers for. ^_^ It's Burning Water 2K or nothin'! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23022

I can't see the picture(s) at the moment, but I will when I get home.  Did you just use sandpaper/micromesh or whatever, or were other tools involved?

Just micromesh. The first 4 grades - none really coarse enough for the job, so it took a while - but on the plus side it made it pretty much impossible to screw up. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    EdGrip said:
    @DrBob - I just had a look for lolz. It's a beautiful thing - but not totally stupid in the way that I love Tylers for. ^_^ It's Burning Water 2K or nothin'! 
    Yeah, to be fair, had I bought new I would've gone Candy Schmear but given how rare they are on the used market over here when it came up, I jumped !
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23022
    EdGrip said:
    Just micromesh. The first 4 grades - none really coarse enough for the job, so it took a while - but on the plus side it made it pretty much impossible to screw up. ;)
    It looks good!  

I like the un-screw-up-ability aspect of using relatively gentle abrasives.  Wez makes the razorblade method look so easy but I'm afraid I'd end up gouging at least a couple of big chunks out of the neck (....or my fingers).

• Might have a crack at this.

Might have a crack at this.

You should, it does make for an incredible feel & playing experience on the neck