FuzzFace - Before or after buffered tuner?

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845

Ive read these beasts can be a little fussy around buffers or buffered pedals.

My current Sig Path is Ernie Ball Wah, TU3, Toadworks Fuzz, SParkbooster, Wampler Euphoria.

If i add a fuzzface to this (germanium) its it better off going before the TU3?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    this is relevant to my interests...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • a) I don't know
    b) can't you try it?
    c) putting my Vibratrem ( I know it isn't a fuzz!) directly after a buffered tuner was like magic.Got rid of the noise, improved the quality of the effect, such a massive difference. 
    d) I am interested as I'm having daydreams about red mini fuzz faces.
    e) this probably wasn't much help was it?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28179
    I would expect it to exhibit more typical fuzzface behaviour before the tuner.

As I recall the real problem is putting one just after a crybaby (or related circuit) wah.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • In my experience old timey fuzzes are always best with a guitar plugged straight into them.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Theoretically it shouldn't sound overly different and given the choice I would put the tuner first.  The Fuzz Face ideally likes to see a low impedance at the input so actually likes buffers.  The issue with the classic Cry Baby problem is although featuring a bypass buffer the actual output isn't buffered back to low impedance - which also equates for the audible tone suck.  Fuzz Faces like buffers, just not shit ones.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Sporky;37615" said:
    I would expect it to exhibit more typical fuzzface behaviour before the tuner.

As I recall the real problem is putting one just after a crybaby (or related circuit) wah.
    And would a Ernie Ball wah be some such circuit
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    I would put it first.

Fuzz Faces do 'like' buffers in the sense that they work more evenly after one, but I think that misses the point - the beauty of the FF-type circuit is that you can control it to an extreme degree from the guitar volume control... exactly because the guitar's output impedance rises fairly drastically as you back the volume off from full.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    edited September 2013
    Ok so here's an interesting one. When I set the mini fuzz face up in the following order - wah - FF- tuner - drives etc it sounded ace but the volume and tone controls on my strat seemed to be rendered useless.

Swapping the tuner and fuzz round sounded worse, but brought the tone etc back to life but they still are t 100%. Guitar FF Amp and all works as it should

WtF?
  • You'll need the FF first if you want to use it as God intended. After a buffer you loose all the dynamics and the stuff that a good fuzz does.

• Try fuzz face, then wah.

I know, wah first etc, but I preferred my fuzz face derived thing pre wah, and the wah still sounded good. Till I sold it :p
  • Skip to 103 to hear what the buffers do!

• FazerFazer Frets: 467
    put the germanium fuzz face first in the chain

what pedal is it? there may be some that are internally buffered so that they dont sound different after a buffer or not, but they dont sound as good quite frankly
  • It's a fuzz face mini

I can't put it first without fucking up my pedalboard!! See attached photo....
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    fucked up in what way? i cant see any attached photo, attached to where?
  • Sorry photo bucket mobile is buggered. Basically it sits on the edge of the board and looks neat!