Fulltone Octafuzz - Video content

Hey folks, just been doing some more recording and wanted to share this video/audio I put together of one of my favourite fuzz pedals.

I absolutely love how this works with my amp and how you can use the volume knob and pickup selection to get everything from clean to monster velcro without touching the fuzz or amp. No talking on the vid, just annotations to help people hear and understand what I'm doing and why.

Hope you like! Plenty more to come so please do subscribe if this sort of stuff helps.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Impressive stuff - I'd definitely like to hear some more, that must have taken a fair bit of effort to put together but came out as a really good way of demoing the pedal without interrupting the flow at all. :)

Ps, sounds great! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My Axis Fuzz clone is much the same - it actually does a better 'on the edge' type of drive than a great deal of drive pedals, and it just sits at near full gain and near full volume.  Likes single coils or humbuckers, too.

Amazing how these vintage circuits are actually so amazing - I don't think it's nostalgia, and I tend to think of fuzz as a modern sound (Muse et al), just that they got it so right.
  • Impressive stuff - I'd definitely like to hear some more, that must have taken a fair bit of effort to put together but came out as a really good way of demoing the pedal without interrupting the flow at all. :)

Ps, sounds great! :D
    Glad you enjoyed it. That was actually just done in one take after a decided what I wanted to demo. I demo this sort of stuff for local guitarists a fair bit when helping them with their amps and boards, so it comes fairly naturally now. I've also spent waaaay too much time on understanding my gear to get the best tone I can out of it!
  • My Axis Fuzz clone is much the same - it actually does a better 'on the edge' type of drive than a great deal of drive pedals, and it just sits at near full gain and near full volume.  Likes single coils or humbuckers, too.

Amazing how these vintage circuits are actually so amazing - I don't think it's nostalgia, and I tend to think of fuzz as a modern sound (Muse et al), just that they got it so right.
    Absolutely. When I first tried a proper fuzz (ZVex Mastotron) I was ASTOUNDED how I could get EVERYTHING from clean to raging with JUSt the volume knob. It was crazy. Ever since I've been fiddling with fuzzes. I really don't 'do' overdrive or distortion pedals - I've tried but I dislike the way they mask/colour the sound of the guitar/amp combo. Fuzzes at their extreme settings obviously do this, but rolled down to clean they are unobtrusive.

Before I whittled it down to just the Octafuzz I had the Analogman Sunlion and the Skreddy Screwdriver. I loved them all, but in my ruthless mentality I found that the Sunlion didn't clean up as well as the Octafuzz (and wasn't as useful as the Octafuzz), and the Skreddy wasn't fuzzy in the right way for me - it was basically a fuzzy OD pedal. Lovely juicy harmonic thing going on, but I wanted to keep a fuzz, not a quirky/cool OD pedal. So off they want and I kept the Octafuzz.

I'm actually working on a customers pedalboard at the moment, and he's got some killer drive pedals which I'm testing out, but they're just not for me.

Watch out for more vids, and feel free to let me know if there's stuff you'd like to hear!