iPhone 5s/5c

What's Hot
Anyone making the jump?

I can't be arsed queueing for one but was due an upgrade.
64GB space grey 5s is winging its way to me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    All my Apple mates seem to want the HTC One. I don't know anyone who's going for it this time. There's certainly no buzz of excitement in the office.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    I have an HTC One, it's very good indeed though it does seem to be a bit rubbish at differentiating your finger from your face. 

Apparently the new processor in the 5S is meant to be a pretty big bump in performance. 
  • I do fancy a 5S but will likely wait till my 4S dies or starts giing me shit
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Upgrade time for me on Monday, so yes a 5s will be coming to pcoket very soon. Just deciding if I can justy the cash for a 32gb over a 16gb

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Still gonna wait, iPhone 4 is still doing fine. When I do, I'll be buying it outright from Apple, I don't need to get expensive credit from my phone network.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    edited September 2013
    Still gonna wait, iPhone 4 is still doing fine. When I do, I'll be buying it outright from Apple, I don't need to get expensive credit from my phone network.
    Works out about the same on a pay monthly plan.
    The 64GB 5s is £709 from Apple.
    From O2 it is £25 pcm for 24 months = £600 + £119 up front.

You do have to pay £17 pcm on top of that for your airtime plan but that would be paid with any other phone too, including one you buy from Apple.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    I like the look of the 5C but it also looks overpriced given that the 5S is only £80 more. Maybe this is why Apple apparently have shedloads of 5Cs and a waiting list for 5Ss.

I'll stick with my 4S until the next upgrade (over a year away) I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I won't be surprised to see the 5c drop in price a bit after Xmas.
    Oh man- check this: LINK

Around 800 5s' on eBay already and 300 of those are for over a grand.
    What is more amusing is if you go to 'Completed Listings' and filter out over a grand.
    People are crazy.
    tFB Trader
    I think the 5C is a way to screw consumers. 

Usually they drop the price of the old model by a fixed amount, but this time they've dropped it by the usual amount, but replaced it with a cheaper to manufacture version of the old phone. 
    I suspect they will have to drop the price as people don't seem to be daft enough to fall for it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    I think the 5C is a way to screw consumers. 

Usually they drop the price of the old model by a fixed amount, but this time they've dropped it by the usual amount, but replaced it with a cheaper to manufacture version of the old phone. 
    I suspect they will have to drop the price as people don't seem to be daft enough to fall for it.
    Especially as the 4S is £120 cheaper than the 5C - although admittedly seems to be only available in 8Gb now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited September 2013
    mono, I don't see the 5c like that at all, yes it's cheaper to make, but cost of production is not directly related to value to the consumer, I prefer it to the 5 because of the changes they've made, even if they have the affect of making it cheaper for them too.

oct, I'm on 3, as they let you tether for free on the One plan, and buying outright saves a fair bit (between £100 and £250 depending on which handset and whether you sign up to a 12 month sim-only contract or a 1 month), plus you've got the flexibility to change network etc should you need to. I made a graph because I'm a dork:

Not sure why people go for the 64GB though, what'd you use the storage space for in the days of the cloud?

Not sure why people go for the 64GB though, what'd you use the storage space for in the days of the cloud?
    I always get the largest capacity I can- I use the cloud a lot- I have 180GB of music in the cloud (and a lot more that I don't put up there, but keep locally on my studio computer) but I don't want to wait for things to download all the time.

The iPhone is mostly filled with music that I listen to when running or in the gym.

The iPad's (also both 64GB) are full of video, although next time I might not bother with that as I mostly watch Netflix.
    Now that @Myranda made me aware that you can access the US Netflix via VPN I'm pretty sorted for video.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Who has access to the cloud all the time? 

On phones I consume the most media on trains, in planes, buses, at work. 3G on the first is spotty, on planes is not something I've been aware of if it exists and at work there is no reception at all (not enough even for emergency only calls) and the wifi is restricted access. As such there's no where I can reliably access the cloud in the places I'd have any need for it.

I doubt I'm alone in the world.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    There was a bit of a queue outside the Regent St Apple store this morning. About two hours later it was gone, replaced with some huge pre-printed signs saying "Due to unprecedented demand the iPhone 5 has sold out".

Surely no-one is stupid enough to believe that Apple couldn't estimate demand? Isn't it obvious that this is all part of their marketing, and they're publicly calling their own customers stupid?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    tFB Trader
    It could well be the manufactured scarcity thing (I've worked with people in the toy industry and it's definitely a conscious strategy), or it could just be that they thought more people would opt for the 5C. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    My second time walking past was at about 11.30, so if it was the latter they really must be clueless. I don't believe that they misunderestimated demand that much.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited September 2013

^I think most of their customers are well versed in Apples approach, which is why they queue overnight in the first place, because they know supply is limited.

Controlling supply is not an Apple exclusive either, whether you're the most profitable company in the world or Paul C cracking out Tim pedals, it drives desirability if you have an already strong product.

I do also think that for Apple to meet demand for what is a huge spike in sales when something is launched is probably very costly (and difficult to manage) from a production point of view - why not let the consumer smooth the way if they are prepared to wait?

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited September 2013

My V key is broken
  • I do fancy a 5S but will likely wait till my 4S dies or starts giing me shit
    Same here, although my contracts not up until May so I'll probably drag it out another few months and get the 6 next year! :)