Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bucket List

What's Hot

Have you got one?

I don't but the wife has just decided to make one, do you want to do something before you leave this world? Do you want to leave an indelible mark on the planet before you go?

Or do you just want to lay some laminate flooring and dig an old boat out of some mud, both noble quests I might add.

Add your lists, it might give someone some inspiration. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think that if people wanted to leave it as clean & tidy as they found it, or more so, it would help. I'm not sure indelible marks are an improvement.

Why is it called a "bucket list"? Nothing to do with Connor is it?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806
    It means 'before I kick the bucket I want to do....'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SpiderSpider Frets: 130

Why is it called a "bucket list"? Nothing to do with Connor is it?
    No, nothing to do with Connor, I think it's so called as it's a list of things to do before you kick the bucket, an there was a film called Bucket List with that story line.
  • Fanx. You can tell I'm not a film buff

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited September 2013

Bucket lists are for people who have lots of money and no kids. I just want to be able to pay the bills :)

or something

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33806

Bucket lists are for people who have lots of money and no kids. I just want to be able to pay the bills :)

or something

But being a parent is just the bestest best thing ever, isn't it? ;)

(Yes, I don't have kids).
  • Fuck me I'm a grumpy cnut ain't I? Ignor me. Berty can I come and sit by you?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I've got a big bucket, a medium sized bucket, but I do need a small bucket.

Or in list form:

Big bucket
    Medium sized
    happy meal
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • If I had a "bucket list" it was somewhat materialistic in that it involved doing something with something that I own. For example ride around on a big british twin (done, I had a Norton Commando), play a real Gibson LP through a 100W Marshall stack (done, still got 'em), listen to Focus Camel etc EllPees on a decent valve hifi (done,still got em).

I always wanted to have a proper vinyl EllPee out with my music on it (composed and played) but that has never happened and probably isn't likely to.
  • I think when I'm lying on my deathbed I will either be too heavily medicated or too f*cking terrified to worry about whether I swam with the goats at Cordoba or whatever.
    I'd like to find a cure for whatever it is I'm dying from.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    i did mine when i first got crohns. nothing major, have another season of playing rugby (docs told me i wouldnt), actually play guitar in front of others, be the best person i could be.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    my bucket list is  "cram as many healthy days as possible in between now, and then"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17648
    tFB Trader
    I don't have a conventional bucket list 

My aspirations in life aren't really of the "Swimming with dolphins", "See the Taj Mahal" type because they seem more like things you do so you can put them on a list, or have an anecdote that makes you seem more interesting rather than things that would actually enrich your life on a day to day basis. 

If I were to list my genuine life aspirations they would be as follows:
    * To be a good husband and have a successful marriage for the rest of my life
    * To be a good dad to my daughter and make sure she grows up well adjusted
    * To not have to worry about money (i.e. never be afraid of how I was going to pay the gas bill)
    * To enjoy the job I do and be recognised for the work I put it.
    * To have some kind of musical outlet where I get to play with decent musicians
    * To own my own house 
    * To have another child

I'm sure some people will look down on me for how twee and seemingly unambitious my aspirations are, but a few years ago when I felt like I was drowning in debt and my life was going nowhere the possibility of owning my own house, or being able to afford a child seemed very remote indeed and those goals that I have achieved bring me happiness every day. 
    This is of course not to say that I wouldn't like to own a 63 Strat, or go to space should the opportunity arise, but it won't really make me feel any differently about my life if I don't.

I do sometimes wonder if the number of people who now aspire to be a celebrity, or similar contributes to the increasing levels of unhappiness in the country. 
    ^ Very well put sir.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I find the idea quite morbid - do some stuff before you die... not while you're alive, but while you're waiting for the icy hand of the grim reaper to firmly grasps the wispy tendrils of your soul and drags you to your eternal slumber.

No one writes a "I'm alive and going to enjoy every day" list.

Of course given the capitalist world we're in and a lot of enjoyable things cost money - you have to be rich to do that... so perhaps a "I really fancy doing some stuff when I can afford to" list... no it's always with the implication of imminent demise... 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    A bucket list? That really is beyond the pail
  • Myranda said:
    I find the idea quite morbid - do some stuff before you die... not while you're alive, but while you're waiting for the icy hand of the grim reaper to firmly grasps the wispy tendrils of your soul and drags you to your eternal slumber.

No one writes a "I'm alive and going to enjoy every day" list.

Of course given the capitalist world we're in and a lot of enjoyable things cost money - you have to be rich to do that... so perhaps a "I really fancy doing some stuff when I can afford to" list... no it's always with the implication of imminent demise... 
    in the case of riding around on a big motorbike your last clause could be quite apposite
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited September 2013
    @monquixote

Not twee at all and I reckon it is rather refreshing these days, wisdom duly given. Money and ambition aren't all that.

Most (thankfully not all) younger folks seem only to aspire to reality TV and Gareth Bale type wealth. Nothing wrong with being aspirational and a hound for the pound, just not to the exclusion of the rest of life and pissing on other people.

What happened to doing things to try and be the best at a sport or whatever, money it seems has replaced pride.

No bucket list for me just like @bertie said to be healthy and reasonably happy for as many of the intervening years as possible.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    But bucket lists are always expensive things

"swim with dolphins" is almost always on the list near the top - well until they start swimming off the cost of skegness it's going to cost money to do this - more money than many have access to... 

There's also little sense of personal achievement in such actions... whats wrong with some sort of goal? Like punch the most politicians? Or cunning the most linguists in a single lifetime (though I suspect Gene Simmons has beaten you to this already - unless you develop some sort of time travel to get more in)