Which Laptop? i7@1.7Ghz vs i5@2.4Ghz

equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
edited November 2014 in Studio & Recording

Given the following two used Dell laptops that have identical specs apart from their CPUs..

Which do you think would be better for recording with? 
Would the grunt of the lower speed i7 pay better dividends that the faster i5?

I'm using Reaper, but also sometimes use Tracktion.

Dell Precision M4500 15.6" Core i5 2.4ghz 4gb 250gb Win 7 1920 x 1080 Video 1GB

Dell Precision M4500 15.6" Laptop Core i7 1.7ghz 4gb 250gb Windows 7 1920 x 1080

Edit.. Just noticed this one as well for a little bit more..

Dell Precision M4500 Laptop 15.6" Intel Dual Core i7 2.67ghz 750gb 4gb Windows 7

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Can you get more info?  The generation of the chip makes a difference.

Personally I'd go for the i7 but it doesn't mention the graphics so those might be onboard which means you'll lose some system RAM - I'd be looking at 8GB and an SSD for recording, the two of those things with either of those CPUs would be a stonking machine.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

NOT! That I am any computer guru! But I have learned a bit over the last 8 years or so.

For a "serious" music computer it very much depends upon your MO. If for instance you want to record 32 tracks at 24bits/44.1kHz (or 96kHz if you are a sucker) the i5 is more than good enough and will use less juice than an i7 (all things being equal) .

If you want to run Vsti's at very low latencies the processor has LITTLE impact contrary to much information. The interface and especially its drivers will decide how low the latency can go.

On the other hand, if you want to run a H of a LOT of Vsti's at low latency you WILL need a fast processor. I have an HP i3 laptop 1170 and it runs 20 tracks of Cubase LE6 no sweat (8G ram but it was fine on 4G) .

+1 on the SSD and ram. Make sure you have a couple of USB 3.0 ports. I picked up a Seagate 2TB USB 3.0 external drive from Maplin for £70.00 Really fast backup.

Dave.