Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Multi Modulation Pedal Recommendations

What's Hot
Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 133
You can get pretty good deals on used Blackstar and TC Nova modulation pedals recently and so I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a pedal that does multiple modulation effects without reaching Strymon / Eventide price ranges?

Main requirements are chorus, phaser and tremelo.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Source Audio Orbital Modulator. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited November 2014

I use a Marshall Regenerator RG-1 in my pedalboard.  It has Vintage Chorus, Modern Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Step Phaser, and Univibe. Controls are: Modulation selector, speed, depth, regeneration ('mix').  Only £55 from SoundsLive, built like a tank, and a nice sounding and very versatile pedal. 

http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Marshall_RG-1_Regenerator_Modulation_Guitar_Effects_Pedal/MAR-PEDL10036

I looked at the manual & that Modcore Nux looks even more versatile with 8 effects (normal & Deluxe versions for each) Plus you can lock it to a setting.  There's also a tweak knob that gives you a different parameter control depending on modulation effect.  However a mix control is only available on the chorus, whereas the Regenerator's regenerator (mix) knob allows you to dial in from very full to very subtle modulation, in all modes.  You can also use the Regenerator with an expression pedal, and it has a nice optional 'spill-over' feature whereby the effect can naturally decay rather than being abruptly shut off when switching the pedal off.  Like the Modcore Nux, it can be used stereo or mono.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited November 2014
    John_A said: One of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NUX-MOD-CORE-EFFECTS-PEDAL-EX-DEMO-FROM-BJ-PREMIER-MUSIC-/161473407370?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Outboards_Effects_MJ&hash=item259890a98a I have one and they really are good

Yes they are
    very good for the money. Silly good value. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Zoom MS70-CDR
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Voxman said:

I use a Marshall Regenerator RG-1 in my pedalboard.  It has Vintage Chorus, Modern Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Step Phaser, and Univibe. Controls are: Modulation selector, speed, depth, regeneration ('mix').  Only £55 from SoundsLive, built like a tank, and a nice sounding and very versatile pedal. 

http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Marshall_RG-1_Regenerator_Modulation_Guitar_Effects_Pedal/MAR-PEDL10036

I looked at the manual & that Modcore Nux looks even more versatile with 8 effects (normal & Deluxe versions for each) Plus you can lock it to a setting.  There's also a tweak knob that gives you a different parameter control depending on modulation effect.  However a mix control is only available on the chorus, whereas the Regenerator's regenerator (mix) knob allows you to dial in from very full to very subtle modulation, in all modes.  You can also use the Regenerator with an expression pedal, and it has a nice optional 'spill-over' feature whereby the effect can naturally decay rather than being abruptly shut off when switching the pedal off.  Like the Modcore Nux, it can be used stereo or mono.

Yes, I've got that Marshall too. It's absolutely fine. 

• mr_airmr_air Frets: 24
    Mooer mod factory or Z cat Q-mod. I haven't tried any of them though. The Mooer clips I've heard sounds a bit sterile. I have heard good things about the Z cat.

• I've saved so much pedal board space by getting a Strymon mobius. I have all the sounds I could possibly need. Along side my timeline what more do you need :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    I like the idea of a Mobius but I've read the vibe isn't great, true?
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    John_A;404898" said:
    This. I have one on my gigging board and they really are good. Don't be put off by the low price.

You might as well get one, they're so cheap. If you don't like it, you can punt it on, maybe lose a fiver, but if you like it you save £100+.
  • That's the one effect I haven't used or did before I had it. Just hadn't felt the need. Maybe I'll have to change that
    TheCount;406077" said:
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Line 6 M5 (or M9 if you have the space) will do a decent job of all your mod needs with the added bonus of doing a whole bunch of other crap too!
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    +1 for the m5.

Much prefer it to the zoom pedals.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I had the Marshall Regenerator pedal and I'm afraid that unlike the other posters, I wouldn't recommend it at all. Every effect was mediocre at best. Much better to have one or two decent dedicated effects than lots of horrible sounding ones IMO. I only tried the little Mooer multi effects unit, and it sounded equally pants to my ears. 
  • TC Electronic's Dreamscape?

(although I don't think it does tremolo)
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Vote for the M5
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited November 2014
    johnhe said:
    I had the Marshall Regenerator pedal and I'm afraid that unlike the other posters, I wouldn't recommend it at all. Every effect was mediocre at best. Much better to have one or two decent dedicated effects than lots of horrible sounding ones IMO. I only tried the little Mooer multi effects unit, and it sounded equally pants to my ears. 
    I think that's a little harsh - sure, if you've got the budget and the room on your board for really good quality chorus, tremolo, univibe etc that's great and no argument that these little multi-pedals can't compete tonally or control parameter wise.  However, the tones from these multi-pedals are actually pretty decent and very usable overall.  They are what they are, an economical space-saving solution. The uni-vibe and the chorus on the Regenerator in particular are actually quite pleasant sounding - OK, not up there with top pedals but better than a fair few individual 'mediocre' pedals I've heard.  Anyway, it does me for the moment.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TheCount;406077" said:
    That's the reason I moved my mobius on. It was amazing for the money and super powerful but it just didn't get the liquid sound that only a real photocell vibe gets. I swapped it out for a deja vibe and an evh phase 90 and I'm happier with the sound and simplicity. That said I do miss the multiple preset options and the small footprint. If you need lots of modulation you'll be hard pressed to beat it. If you just like one or two modulation sounds I'd say get individual pedals. Amazing pedal if you're not a vibe coniiseur though.
  • xtroublextrouble Frets: 84
    edited November 2014
    I quite like the look of this one -

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Really, the quality of effects on the NUX is great,I fit had TC on the front people would pay £100 for it without question, don't let the fact it's £30 put you off