Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson G-Force tuning system demo

What's Hot
MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
Wonder if this guy will have his Gibson dealership much longer...

:D
7reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    That was brilliant! I can see 2015 being a Stella year for Gibson! In all seriousness those tuners are clearly a huge failure, and will cost gibson dearly, 2 different guitars and two failed tunings, how can we trust this system especially with additional pressure of a gig, and the fact that all new guitars come with them is probably the silliest marketing decision in have seen for a long time.... Oh dear
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Nice job on the knobs Gibson...

Shame the thing won't tune up.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    The main failure of the tuners is that they're not optional or even necessarily easily removable, who knows what additional routing or lack of finish lies beneath that black box?

I was in the market for a new Gibson SG around April time. There's no denying the fit and finish across the range seems to have got better for the 2014 Gibsons. In the end though, I got a Derek Trucks SG, not because I'm a huge fan or anything, but because if I got a 2014 standard I was stuck with the mini-tune system, and the Standard didn't come with fret end nibs (not a huge deal but not having them is a cost-cutting method and on a >£1000 guitar I don't want to see corners cut to save money.

There's not one of the new standards or "100" models I would buy because of the issues that guy pointed out.

I think he was very honest, clearly Gibson have taken on board that their QC needs to be better, and they've done that. The fact that they've got access to decent wood after that whole debacle probably helps in that regard too.
    The different neck profile, the roller nut and zero fret and the tuners will put a large proportion of people off buying it. 
    All would have been perfectly acceptable as options.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Yep, and he does say the fit and finish, wood quality etc. are really good, which is nice to hear. I think they clearly need to cut their losses with the auto-tuning nonsense though.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Wonder how well it copes with strings that aren't stretched in.

Don't think he mentioned the nut?
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    horse said:
    Wonder how well it copes with strings that aren't stretched in.

Don't think he mentioned the nut?
    I'd guess it doesn't cope well at all, but then no tuners do, you'd probably still need to stretch the strings.

He didn't mention it at all. I quite like a roller nut/zero fret combination, although graphite works well too. My acoustic guitar has a graphite nut and zero fret and you get a more even sound from it and tuning stability is excellent due to lack of friction at the nut.
    I don't think making it standard on a les paul is a good move though.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • CyberlawyerCyberlawyer Frets: 116
    edited November 2014
    Strange, the auto-tuning double cut I tried in Manhatten GC really impressed me. I didn't experience any of the issues others have reported. Wondering if its a setup issue or if they have a QC issue (this is Gibson) so performance is a bit random from guitar to guitar.
    @strtdv the one saving grace is they are removable and leave no damage or routing unter the tuner so they can be replaced with standard machine heads and you would never tell. The ONE saving grace!
  • I met the guy from Tronical (i.e. the inventor) at a guitar show about 10 years ago. He was a nice chap and it was a neat idea but didn't work perfectly. They've had 10 years of R&D and a shitload of money invested and it still doesn't work properly. What are Gibson doing? 

(I know, I know, just travelling down the same path they've been on for the last decade...)

:(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • You sure the guy hadn't snuck in and made a crafty vid on his lunch hour? ;-)

He was a heavy handed mofo to say the least.

Nice knobs though.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    What a massive pile of shite. 

No only is it something I wouldn't want, but now seemingly have to have it doesn't even bloody work!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's a shame because he seems to suggest the quality of finishing and the general construction was excellent.  :(

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    I just can't see who is going to drop $2700 on a guitar if they can't tune it themselves tbh - so what is the point?
  • The gigging/working guitarist can't rely on crap like this.

Gibson have lost the plot with so many aspects of basic guitar builds over the last few years.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2014
    I'm not seeing much if an issue if you don't like/don't want them take them off and stick them on eBay and sell them for more than a new set of tuners. It's pretty much what 80% of us do with whatever pickups come in our guitar

People are talking like they are some how fixed to the guitar in a manner that makes removal difficult.

Try something new and its slated, don't try something new and its slated
    @underdog pickups are different tho bud, as their down to personal preference, with machine heads it's something you only really change if they are damaged or wear out.

To have to change them on a premium guitar soon as you buy it, is not something that should have to be done, dont forget this system can't be tuned the standard way, the string s are clamped differently and also tune the opposite way were used to, so I can totally see why people are annoyed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited November 2014
    mrchi;407002" said:
    @underdog pickups are different tho bud, as their down to personal preference, with machine heads it's something you only really change if they are damaged or wear out.

To have to change them on a premium guitar soon as you buy it, is not something that should have to be done, dont forget this system can't be tuned the standard way, the string s are clamped differently and also tune the opposite way were used to, so I can totally see why people are annoyed.
    but these too seem to be personal preference, the traditionalists are up in arms about them with little reason for it other than a couple of traditionalists having a moan on internet.

I've tried 2 guitars the other week with them fitted, and well I thought they were great, had a good play about with them and no issues at all.

I think maybe a bad nut would be to blame in a lot of cases, which is a nut problem not a tuner issue.

It's like buying a fender jazzmaster, some love the bridge setup and swear it's great, others will have already bought a replacement to put on before they even get the guitar.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Good lord! Still can't get past the clip on scratch plate.
  • I think people are getting a bit ahead of themselves on the basis of this video. It could just be dodgy strings that are the issue here. I don't think the auto tuning thing is the best idea Gibson have ever had but people (all over the internet) are clearly absolutely desperate for it to be a disaster which is an attitude I find a bit odd. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    The whole auto tuning thing looks like a massive PITA. If it breaks down its another thing to have to get fixed and I would rather it was an option than the norm.

Sell them cheaper and ditch that crap.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway