Left Handed STRATOCASTER (!) build questions

What's Hot

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited December 2014
    The bridge hole looks right - they're done like that because of the trem block being longer on one side, to accommodate where the arm fits in. I'm less happy about the holes for the neck fixing screws - the one top left does look to be out, and if it was me I'd rather not have the job of filling the hole and re-drilling a new one. Unless you have a drill press, I'd think it is tricky to drill these holes exactly square to the body, which they really need to be. If I'm doing a build, I always want the pre-drilled holes to be there, because I don't have the kit to do the job well myself, - IMO they do need to be done accurately and in the right place.

I guess if the hole in question is not too far out, then it might be possible to make things work by just enlarging it a bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Megii I am really hoping that that is the case that I'll be able to work with it by enlarging it, but I'm a bit worried :/ If it isn't fit for purpose, I guess I could send it back, i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it'll be ok. 
    @Megii I am really hoping that that is the case that I'll be able to work with it by enlarging it, but I'm a bit worried :/ If it isn't fit for purpose, I guess I could send it back, i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it'll be ok. 
    Apologies if I'm worrying you, I could have overstated things there - I do think it's likely you will be able to manage OK without too much trouble. My experience is that there are always a few issues with getting things to fit right, with any build, but I've always managed in the end. The trick is to think about things, rather than diving straight in - just go carefully and consider what you're doing. I'm sure you'll fine anyway. And plenty of expert help on here (not counting myself as an expert, but there are some very skilled people). :)
  • @Megii No, no, I am very appreciative of your input! Thank you indeed :) I am going to be careful with this one, so I guess I will just tackle all and any problems that come along as they come along. And document it for everyone to see! :D
    That's the way @themeinside - just tackle one thing at once, no rush, and keep going - you'll get a nice guitar at the end. Care and attention to detail make a big difference to the end result. Looking forward to following the build as well! :)
  • OK! Good news is, it is here, and all parts appear to be present and correct. Bad news is, there are a few issues, which may not actually be issues, but in my ignorance seem to be right now!

1) Multiple scuffs, dents and discolourations- I presume I'll be able to get most of them out with sanding, and a finish/pickguard hides a multitude of sins, but they worry me somewhat.
    2) Wonky headstock routing- well, not the headstock exactly, but the angle behind the nut is wonky. The nut is parallel to the frets, and I guess that's what matters, but it just gets on my OCD'd nerves. 

And, perhaps the most worrying for now.

3) Neck doesn't fit into neck pocket. I get that it is meant to be nice and snug, but this won't fit with the amount of force I am currently willing to put into it xD When I try, I get a lot of creaking and funny wood sounds that don't inspire me with confidence... 

Overall though, I am impressed. A nice looking back, with a nice, lightly patterned sliver of flamed maple on the top. I'll have to wait 'til at least next Wednesday, if not the following week to really get going with it, but I have to admit I'm slightly intimidated as of right now! 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    photos! :D
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • AND SO IT BEGINS :O (Tomorrow) 

People that have done kits before... where should I start? I feel that sanding and finishing should be first, but what do I know? Thoughts, please!
  • Dry run! You need to assemble everything and see if it all fits, and iron out any issues before it's covered in paint.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a quick go at that when the kit first came... components wise, it seems fine, but the neck doesn't easily go into the body. Now its been sitting at constant temperature, I'll give it another go. How much forcing is usually necessary for a stratocaster neck pocket? XD
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited December 2014
    themeinside;448665" said:
    I had a quick go at that when the kit first came... components wise, it seems fine, but the neck doesn't easily go into the body. Now its been sitting at constant temperature, I'll give it another go. How much forcing is usually necessary for a stratocaster neck pocket? XD
    Not much - it can be a wee bit tricky to get it to fit, mind.

Is it just the neck pocket width? If so, you can correct it with carefully done sandpapering.

However, it can be tricky getting it even. In fact, impossible. If you look closely at my red strat build, I needed to fettle the neck pocket a touch to get the neck in. It's snug, but good now.

Disclaimer - there is *PROBABLY* a better way of fixing this. Wait till others chime in, is my advice.
  • Ok, good news and bad news. 

Good news is the neck got in pretty easy. Needed a little bit of force, but once it was in there, all seemed to be good! The main problem appears to be with the routing/pickguard setup. There are gaps depending on where the bits and pieces are. I'm hoping this will sort itself out when all the bits are all drilled in, but there do seem to be gaps. 

Pics will appear as soon as I grab my USB cable! :D
  • Ok, good news and bad news. 

Good news is the neck got in pretty easy. Needed a little bit of force, but once it was in there, all seemed to be good! The main problem appears to be with the routing/pickguard setup. There are gaps depending on where the bits and pieces are. I'm hoping this will sort itself out when all the bits are all drilled in, but there do seem to be gaps. 

Pics will appear as soon as I grab my USB cable! :D
    Yarp, pics are a great idea! 
  • themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    edited December 2014
    @ThePrettyDamned I am happy to oblige!

Today was a dry fit, and went pretty well, if I say so myself!

Here are some overall pictures of the kit:

Here is the neck fit, pretty good I think (if I think wrong, please, please tell me!)

Here's a few pictures of the front and back with the hardware dry fitted:

Quick sketch of the F-style headstock on the blank:

And here's a picture of the flame with some flash... for contrast:

But here be the issue with a little gap... what to do?

And a bit of a mark on the horn, though I suspect this will just sand out:

I hope this is a good start! :D
  • Looks great!

I don't see the gap - unless you mean between bridge and scratchplate? In which case, I filed my scratchplate a tiny bit to make the gap equal on both sides. Not perfect, but more perfect than it was if that makes sense.

Otherwise looks nice! Not a terrible veneer at all, and everything looks rather spiffy.
  • @ThePrettyDamned Thank you very much! That makes sense indeed; I love the conceit of a perfecting imperfection :D I really hope that I do it justice with my finishing! 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Good luck with this-it's making me want to give one a go....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    This is getting there, looks like a real snug fit! Be interested to see your headstock cut.
    You'll even see a bit of a gap between bridge and scratchplate on genuine Fenders (and pretty much any other similar guitar) - that's normal. After all, the trem has to move, and can't be scraping against the scratchplate. Like @ThePrettyDamned, I've usually ended up doing a bit of work to get a neat, even gap though - but remember once you've filed or sanded material off the scratchplate, you can't put it back - usually best to do as little as possible to get things to fit.

Must agree the kit is looking pretty good though, the body shape looks pretty spot on right for a strat type guitar, and the scratchplate sitting nice and central. Good stuff mate, keep it going. :)
    edited December 2014
    One thing I like to do during the dry assembly stage is check that the strings will run centrally down the neck and not to one side or the other i.e. so that the E strings will both be the same distance from the fingerboard edge. I ran this thread when I was making a walnut strat - if you scroll down you can see how I do that. Worth doing something to get that bit spot on anyhow.