Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

School me on muffs (heh)

What's Hot
I know I want one.

I like the super doomy chord stuff they do.

I like the singing lead tones you get a la Gilmour and John frusciante.

I suspect that all three of these sounds are going to be different muffs. There are loads!

Of interest:

IC big muff. Clones are available so I won't have to pay through the nose for an original. And it might be more reliable.

Russian

Nyc

Others?

I think the fru lead tone comes from a ds-2 and a big muff, running one into the other. It's quite different to the Gilmour tone, which sounds more like just a muff with delay.

The doomy stuff is like letting a big wet fart out. Really satisfying and leaves a lasting impression.

Tips?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    My fav Muff like fuzz is the Swollen Pickle, it's brilliant. 

The Velvet fuzz is super good for Gilmour solo sounds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixote;407849" said:

The velvet is actually, so far, my number one choice. It sounds muffy, and the demos are really good. And you loved it, too.

I'll look into the swollen pickle, too. What a vile name for a pedal :)
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    God there are so many. I love my BAT Pharaoh. I'd like to try an LSTR too and a Caroline Olympia and about 10 bajillion other muffs.
  • Have you seen this vid? Russian and IC Muffs baked in a single pi(e)......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAotpk1Tl4M&list=UUZnf3mdsauHpQu7Txmrf8ww

Also, I've just read a review in Guitarist mag of a new Deluxe Big Muff from EHX - bass boost, footswitchable semi-parametric mid boost, gate and attack controls. Might give you the flexability you're after?
  • steamabacus;407858" said:
    Have you seen this vid? Russian and IC Muffs baked in a single pi(e)......

Also, I've just read a review in Guitarist mag of a new Deluxe Big Muff from EHX - bass boost, footswitchable semi-parametric mid boost, gate and attack controls. Might give you the flexability you're after?
    Wow, that looks pretty cool! Bet it's pricey...

Yeah, I've seen that - I'm scared of buying an ehx though because they just break. I quite like the flexibility, and could probably change out the jacks and the switch myself...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Skreddy P19

Muff with a mid hump switch. Made for the Gilmore sound.

There's one in the classifieds. Ahem!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    If your after Russian I think that is the version Arc effects clone, and I believe the work is always verrrry good

Might be worth checking out
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    Here are a couple of clips of me using the Velvet from rehearsal a couple of weeks ago:

Things to note. 

On Use Me I'm using the Velvet on the solos and heavier riffs (the normal wah ones are done with the Badass OD)

On Play that Funky music I'm using it on the solo. It also marks the first time I've put anything on the internet that's got me singing on it!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    LOL at the thread title. I haven't tried that many muffs, I've got the nano one on the way.
    Yeah, I've seen that - I'm scared of buying an ehx though because they just break.

Good job you warned me off EHX in my recent thread about EHX pedals, then.

OH WAIT, NO YOU DIDN'T :|

(Just kidding, I knew going in that they didn't have the best rep for reliability, but I need them to be small, and I have Thomann's 3 year warranty if I'm stuck :)) )
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Here are a couple of clips of me using the Velvet from rehearsal a couple of weeks ago:

Things to note. 

On Use Me I'm using the Velvet on the solos and heavier riffs (the normal wah ones are done with the Badass OD)

On Play that Funky music I'm using it on the solo. It also marks the first time I've put anything on the internet that's got me singing on it!

Why do people go for fuzz and not all-out full overdrive? Not saying they shouldn't, mind, it's just that to me fuzz sounds like OD with the drive turned down to tasteful levels. Nice work Monkey by the way. Love the speed up and solo on PTFM.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    monquixote;407849" said:

The velvet is actually, so far, my number one choice. It sounds muffy, and the demos are really good. And you loved it, too.

I'll look into the swollen pickle, too. What a vile name for a pedal :)
    TPD- you're not going to get much better than the Velvet. Skreddy Lunar is brillaint too.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Different muffs do different things, and they're all very different, including ones that proport to be the same thing... I maintain a couple of muff spreadsheets for people who want to build them. There are for example 6 different triangles and 8 different Ram's heads in one of them alone. So when someone says they like a Rams Head muff, they actually mean that they like 'a' Rams Head muff as they can be very different. All of which adds to the confusion.

The ICBM is probably the most consistent muff, but it also sounds quite a bit different to the 'regular' muffs. Great if you're after that Smashing Pumpkin sound though.

As for which ones do Gilmour. His number 1 muff, using a bit of logic and deduction, is likely similar to what we've designated the DGM3 on the sheet. I can say that it sustains for days and has that sound. For doom, build our UltraStoner, it's the daddy. http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/Muffsv2.htm
  • juansolo;407990" said:
    Different muffs do different things, and they're all very different, including ones that proport to be the same thing... I maintain a couple of muff spreadsheets for people who want to build them. There are for example 6 different triangles and 8 different Ram's heads in one of them alone. So when someone says they like a Rams Head muff, they actually mean that they like 'a' Rams Head muff as they can be very different. All of which adds to the confusion.

The ICBM is probably the most consistent muff, but it also sounds quite a bit different to the 'regular' muffs. Great if you're after that Smashing Pumpkin sound though.

As for which ones do Gilmour. His number 1 muff, using a bit of logic and deduction, is likely similar to what we've designated the DGM3 on the sheet. I can say that it sustains for days and has that sound. For doom, build our UltraStoner, it's the daddy. http://juansolo.co.uk/stompage/Muffsv2.htm
    Nice, thanks!

This is why I needed this thread. :)

If you listen to John frusciante solo tones on slane castle and any tour since, it pretty much always sounds like either a muff into a ds-2 or a ds-2 into a muff.

So I guess I'm after one that can do the gilmoury lead tone, because I can then push it for the bonkers forever sustain that fru uses.

Just had a look at your sellage page. Sadly, the ICBM doesn't look like the one for me? :( shame.

You do have one or two others though, how do they stack up?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Gilmour uses a Muff in conjunction with a boost pedal to allow it to cut through - originally he used a Coloursound Power Booster and then started using a Pete Cornish unit. He also uses the Muff with the Chandler Tube Driver from time to time...

Therefore these 'Gilmour in a box' things rarely come close, in my experience. And realistically, to get that sound you need the amp cooking a bit (but not overdriving) to get the harmonic content.

For low volumes - a RAT pedal gets closer than any other 'Gilmour in a box' pedal I've heard...

But hey, what ever works for you. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann;408017" said:
    Gilmour uses a Muff in conjunction with a boost pedal to allow it to cut through - originally he used a Coloursound Power Booster and then started using a Pete Cornish unit. He also uses the Muff with the Chandler Tube Driver from time to time...

Therefore these 'Gilmour in a box' things rarely come close, in my experience. And realistically, to get that sound you need the amp cooking a bit (but not overdriving) to get the harmonic content.

For low volumes - a RAT pedal gets closer than any other 'Gilmour in a box' pedal I've heard...

But hey, what ever works for you. :-)
    Ooo that's an interesting take on it.

Yeah, definitely won't be able to afford a Pete cornish! Nor a Hiwatt...

I'm more looking for that ballpark sound - it's different to the frusciante sound, but something that let's me approximate that singing sustain will be good enough.

I'm going to ask @juansolo if any of his fuzz pedals for sale would get me close enough. :)

If not, I'll keep an eye out for a rat, too. I confess I've not used one for leads before, I've always used it for really chunky rhythm sounds and fuzzy od tones.
    impmann said:

Building myself a Gilmour in a Box pedal shortly... It'll have 6 effects inside it ;) and will be the 2nd incarnation of this effect I've done. They're not neccessarily the ones he used either, but they get closer to the sound than anything else I've heard to date. I built the first for a friend and had to make one for myself.
    juansolo;407990" said:

Nice, thanks!

This is why I needed this thread. :)

If you listen to John frusciante solo tones on slane castle and any tour since, it pretty much always sounds like either a muff into a ds-2 or a ds-2 into a muff.

So I guess I'm after one that can do the gilmoury lead tone, because I can then push it for the bonkers forever sustain that fru uses.

Just had a look at your sellage page. Sadly, the ICBM doesn't look like the one for me? :( shame.

You do have one or two others though, how do they stack up?
    Got plenty of boards kicking around, can make up any of them. I'm also building myself an angry multi-muff. That'll have a TSM680 (very agressive), ICBM and Ultrastoner Mk2 in it ;) Subtle it will not be.

Yeah the ICBM ain't what you're after and impmann is absolutely right to get Gilmour, some stackage is required.
  • I built myself a Ram's Head from pedalparts, and included a mid-hump switch for good measure. Absolutely brilliant with a boost in front of it. A bit lifeless without, as most muffs are. Nails the gilmour thing as long as you have a boost in front and delay after.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270

That will do it.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Nice but $219 is a bit 'ouch' really...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.