Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss pedals - Japan versus the world

What's Hot
Okay, I know this has been done before...

I'm after a ds-2. They can be had cheaply on ebay, which is awesome - 30 quid should get me the clear, smooth sustainy lead sound I love so much, and not many other pedals seem to do it!

However, there are also older made in Japan stuff on there for a higher price. Do they actually sound better? Or is this just mythology from other pedals in the range?

For what it's worth, I'm planning on using it exclusively in turbo mode. Because turbo is FASTER.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I think it's probably bullshit the Japan versus China thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think some of the components differ is all and can be swapped out if need be.

Mor important is the length of the dash or the colour of the screws :D
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_fx;410049" said:
    I think it's probably bullshit the Japan versus China thing.
    I think you're probably right - it's never going to have collector value as they're common as muck, but I wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on da toanz.
    frankus;410052" said:
    I think some of the components differ is all and can be swapped out if need be.

Mor important is the length of the dash or the colour of the screws :D
    BLACK STICKER DS-1 JAPAN TAIWAN RARE CHIP COLLECTABLE BEST
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I've never noticed any difference between the japan and taiwan ones ive had
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    whats the price difference?
    if its a pedal you love then there's no harm in paying a few £s etc for the japanese one, if those few £s make it 'feel' better to you.
    but if its silly money difference and you're on a budget then i'm sure the sounds are pretty close, and maybe there's more difference between individual pedals anyway
  • Some Made in Japan pedals have slightly different components to the Made in Taiwan versions, such as the DS1 and SD1 - which do sound different when comparing MIJ to MIT. There is a belief though that MIT use some lower quality components and the build quality isn't as good, this could be nonsense though. Bossarea will tell you about any circuit/component changes.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Bossarea was resurrected as StompBoxZone. They've got a pretty usefull wiki-area for Boss stuff. From what I've leaned on there (especially from the guy who founded Dingotone pedals who's designed many a circuit and is very knowledgable about Boss circuits), some early Japanese versions are different/better than later Taiwanese versions, some aren't. Also, some early Taiwanese versions are identical to the Japanese (except for kudos and resale value).
    You really have to take it on a pedal by pedal basis.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    TBH, there are plenty of comparison vids on YT about Boss Japan vs Taiwan. And to my ears none of them are particularly different sounding...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @ThePrettyDamned

Have a read of this thread. 'Laurie' is the guy who knows his onions.

Taiwanese manufacture seems fine for the DS-2, save yourself some money.
    ;)
  • Sweet. Going to bid on one now :) go Taiwan!

To be fair it's only really going to be used for one tone...

Slane castle lead tone. Boom!
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    edited November 2014
    steamabacus said:
    Bossarea was resurrected as StompBoxZone.
    I was referring to the website rather than the forum.

My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • The way I look as Boss pedals and the whole Japan vs Taiwan debate is that I always mount them base down of my board so I can't see the colour of the sticker anyway - which after all is clearly the only difference.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

not sure about all of them...but i can tell you on the HM2...the EQ of the MIJ one is slightly better for that buzzsaw sound...but to be honest, that slightly, is not enough to warrant the difference in cost.

but its interesting that some people will say that the MIT HM2's are rubbish compared to MIJ...maybe they have dog-ears and hear stuff i cant...

• Well, I've bid on a ds-2 now. Cheers chaps.

Like I said, I need it to do one sound, which is that flutey, middy, super smooth lead sound. I've not heard anything else that does it so I should be happy :)
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    My MIJ GEB7 is a TOUCH quieter than the MIT one that I A/B'd it with in rehearsal for shits and giggles. Noticeable in a straight A/B, wouldn't be noticeable at all in a live context.
  • IanSavage said:
    My MIJ GEB7 is a TOUCH quieter than the MIT one that I A/B'd it with in rehearsal for shits and giggles. Noticeable in a straight A/B, wouldn't be noticeable at all in a live context.

Dependent on when it was produced very early Taiwan model are exactly the same as the Japanese (with three opamps), but they then changed the circuit including 4 opamps and rather heroically and against all odds Boss' R&D team managed to source new opamps that were even noisier than the original and ridiculously noisy TL022.

As I did say once before Boss Japan seemed to whack TL022s is everything at one time after seemingly buying them in bulk cheap from the MOD as they were probably considered too noisy for use in military jet engines or missile guidance systems.  When you consider they then managed to 'improve' it to be noisier then those Taiwanese guys must have been working their socks off.

• TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    Usual internet mythology, the old ones are always better.

Even if they used cheaper components in the later ones(has anyone ever proves this, seen purchase records etc?) who's to say that the cheaper comps don't sound better anyway. 

You pay a lot of money for a vintage muff and they're full of the cheapest low tolerance cack they could lay their hands on at the time
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    The Japanese DS-1 I had not long ago definitely sounded better than a recent Taiwanese one when A/B'd - it had less gain, and was fuller-sounding and less buzzy. But the DS-1 is one of the few where I've ever noticed a difference.

I generally prefer the older *models* because I think they generally sound better, and most of them are made in Japan - but that's not necessarily cause and effect.

Interestingly I also had an SD-1 which appeared to be factory original with a Japanese-made PCB and a Made In Taiwan sticker on the bottom. Must have been a transitional model. It sounded good, had less bleed-through than most (they vary, seemingly at random) but at the end of the day it still sounded like a SD-1...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2014
    TheCount said:
    Usual internet mythology, the old ones are always better.

You wanna cut down on your MILF-Hub usage.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Maybe it's just me, but surely these pedals are designed to be all the same?

So whether it's MIT or MIJ shouldn't matter?

I'm thinking (and call me cynical if you want) that different people are hearing differences because they want to.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)