1 Meg Pots

What's Hot
Brighter or darker than 500k or 250k?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Brighter, especially on a sunny day :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • So if I want to tame my Jazzmasters huge brightness (mojo loom came with 1 meg) - dropping to 500k or 250k will help?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7822
    edited November 2014
    yes, I took the 1 Meg pots out of my JM JM sig JM and replaced them with 250k, mostly because the not-great (wound more like a Strat than a Jazzmaster) std. pickups combined with the 1 meg pots could take the enamel off your teeth if you weren't really careful.

I ended up putting some Lollars in too, which were lovely.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Yeah I have some mojos in mine

Right - time to get the soldering iron out
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited November 2014
    Yeah I have some mojos in mine

Right - time to get the soldering iron out
    I think the amp plays its part too. Fender amps seem to really make the treble prominent from the 1k pots. 
    I notice on my Hiwatt its not an issue. 

Saying this new pots are cheaper than a new amp. 

I think on the lollar website he recommends setting the volume to 8 or 9 on a JM with 1meg pots to take off some of that top end.

Let us know how it pans out, I am curious.

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • thats exactly what i have to do!!
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Nels Cline has 250k pots in all of his vintage Jazzmasters, really does seem to make them a little more friendly. That said, I put 250k pots (well a 250k volume and a TBX tone) in my Jazzuar and it's still really rather bright!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    That's probs got more to do with the TBX - iirc the centre detent is allegedly bypass and then you have a bass roll off going from 5-10 and a treble roll off from 5-0. From my experience, this wasn't very good... Unusual choice in a bright guitar IMHO.

I keep meaning to give 250k pots a try but tbh, if you have good quality pickups (I have Mojos, with a slightly altered winding on the bridge pickup for more warmth) it's not needed. Plus, the tone control will roll off the top if it's too bright, quite nicely, in my experience.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    TBX stands for Total BolloX :).

At the centre detent it artificially strangles the tone by loading the pickup with an 82K resistor in order to make the full-up sound appear to be brighter and fuller - "treble and bass expander", which is what Fender wanted it to stand for - whereas in fact it's brighter and *thinner* than it is with a standard tone control. In a Jaguar it will be even worse than it is in a Strat, probably.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    I couldn't remember the science behind it but I do remember them being... fairly poor. Thanks for that ICBM.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    You can actually improve them a lot simply by snipping the resistor. Then it becomes a standard 250K/.022uF tone control from the centre notch down, and a 1.25M tone control from the centre notch up - not far off a 'no load'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 760
    edited November 2014
    I had a similar complait with my other jazzmasters - when it came to build one myself I changed a few things...

- lead circuit with 250k volume and 500k tone plus treble bleed cap.
    - rhythm circuit with two 1 meg pots

This meant I could still get the bright jazzmaster rhythm tone if I wanted it but the lead sounds were darker. Sort of opposite to a normal jazzmaster. However since having played it as my no. 1 for about 6 months, I've discovered a few things that I hadn't realised or considered (it really helps having the pots switchable to test this stuff!)

1. The tone pot rolled off is the same as a lower value - no tone difference assuming the same cap is used.
    2. Lower volume pots indeed darken things but they also make it less dynamic and reduce output. Think of it as two valve amps - one with loads of headroom and one that's being driven pretty hard and limiting your harder playing, that's te best analogy I can think of. Basically the two 1 meg pots, vol 10 and tone 6 is the same brightness as the 250k/500k with vol 10 and tone 10, with a tad more output and a clearer/thicker sound with more 'air' around the top notes. Whatever air is.

Essentially I use the rhythm circuit, vol 10 and tone 6 for clean and the rhythm circuit for OD sounds as the dynamism is mostly lost and I like being about to control the volume from the guitar. Just a thought/my findings. You may hear something different!!
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Yep! I used the TBX at the time as I'd stuck humbuckers in the guitar. I'm not sure if it was in a PM or a thread back on the other forum you told me about snipping the resistor, definitely helps but this guitar is just a particularly thin sounding one atm. 

Needs some heavier strings (has a set of .010's atm), a decent bridge with the right radius (has a mustang bridge with the only two different sized saddles atm, so closer to a 9.5" radius I guess) and a steeper angle over the bridge (there's no shim in the neck pocket and it could really do with one).