Spill the bass beans, MJW!

What's Hot
Come on then @martinw - tell us about that 200W bass head I just saw on the Barefaced Facebook page! :D
(And tell us about @juansolo 's Twang King Princeton if you like too!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

:)

Will do. I'm off out in a minute to a gig, but I'll get something up over the weekend.

The cabinet is currently being covered ready for a photo shoot on Monday with @eventhelosers

Cheers!

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Indeed all my amps are over at Cleggy's at the moment waiting for him to pick them up too!
    edited November 2014 tFB Trader
    Here's the specification for the MJW Taranis:

200 Watts (clean) power output via 4 x KT88 valves.

>380 Watts clipping.

Choice of preamps:

1. Lower gain, clean to slight crunch, Baxandall/James tone stack. 4 way voice switch, treble and bass controls. Sounds early Orange/Matamp with a touch of Ampeg
    2. Moderate gain, clean to distorted, Fender/Marshall sounding channel with treble/middle and bass control...s.
    3. 2 channel version with both of the above (add £150)
    4. Custom made 1 or 2 channel guitar preamp to your spec. e.g. Orange/Matamp, Fender Twin, Marshall JCM800, High Gain SLO style etc.  :D

Half/quarter power via 2/4 output valve switch and low voltage switch, global master volume and presence controls, variable-level post output transformer, balanced DI out, 4 and 8 ohm speakon outputs (or 8 and 16 on guitar version), buffered zero loss effects loop, passive and active inputs.

High quality 18mm birch ply cabinet, with sprung-loaded side handles. Choice of tolex and trim colours.

£1600 for single channel bass version, 50% deposit.

The name was voted on by members of the Basschat forum, and is the Celtic god of thunder, and there's a build thread on that forum too by the owner of the first one.

The transformers are made by BLS in the UK, and the chassis is aluminium alloy, reinforced with u-channels and L-sections to prevent fatigue cracking. It's time consuming doing it that way, but results in a light and strong chassis, and is more economic for a custom amp than having a steel chassis punched, drilled and plated.

Here's a pic of it in development. It's having it's control panels fitted this weekend, along with having it's Seafoam Green cabinet finished, and should be delivered to it's new owner next week, after the photo shoot on Monday. He kindly agreed to come up and try out the amp a few weeks back when it was ready for testing (me not being a bass player) and I think it's safe to say he was delighted with it.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • :O

HOLY SHIT BRO, DEM TOOBZ!

Looks fantastic!

By the way, I'm probably about half way to being able to afford one of your amps... So I'm hoping I'll be getting in touch around the new year to discuss specs in more detail :)

Sadly it won't be a 4x KT88 behemoth named after a god of thunder...
    tFB Trader
    :O

HOLY SHIT BRO, DEM TOOBZ!

Looks fantastic!

By the way, I'm probably about half way to being able to afford one of your amps... So I'm hoping I'll be getting in touch around the new year to discuss specs in more detail :)

Cheers @ThePrettyDamned ! :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    If I knew this had been coming I would have waited to try it before buying my Mesa Bass Prodigy.

I suppose I'll just have to save up again and have both.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    edited November 2014
    Nice :D

Even has Dymo lettering- have you considered putting it in a solid brass case and increasing the price by 400%? :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_Mc;415776" said:
    Nice :D

Even has Dymo lettering- have you considered putting it in a solid brass case and increasing the price by 400%? :D
    Dymo label toanz

But seriously bro you could make a killing.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    :))
    tFB Trader

Thanks lads! :D

Here it is with it's clothes on. Sorry for the phone pic, which in no way does it justice, doesn't capture the colour at all. Good photo shoot yesterday though, so have got some proper pics to come.

Posted Image

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nice :D It's pretty deep- I suppose most bass cabs are pretty deep too?
  • Wow. Very nice.

Don't fancy lifting that on top of an 8x10 cab, though!
  • steamabacus;416880" said:
    Wow. Very nice.

Don't fancy lifting that on top of an 8x10 cab, though!
    There are a whole bunch of forklifts available in the peavey auction. :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    Nice :D It's pretty deep- I suppose most bass cabs are pretty deep too?

Yes :)

It's 2" shallower than the Barefaced cab it was designed for.

Ah ok, thanks. :)
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    Yummy . . .  that looks the mutz nutz !!
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I put down a deposit on a Barefaced cab about a million years ago, working on the basis (bass-is, ha) that I might have built a bass by the time they finished it. Neither of us has built either thing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    EdGrip said:
    I put down a deposit on a Barefaced cab about a million years ago, working on the basis (bass-is, ha) that I might have built a bass by the time they finished it. Neither of us has built either thing.

That's disappointing. :( I was very impressed with the performance of such a light cab.

I can let you off ;)  but I assume they're being paid for it!

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    martinw said:
    Here's the specification for the MJW Taranis:

200 Watts (clean) power output via 4 x KT88 valves.

>380 Watts clipping.

Choice of preamps:

1. Lower gain, clean to slight crunch, Baxandall/James tone stack. 4 way voice switch, treble and bass controls. Sounds early Orange/Matamp with a touch of Ampeg
    2. Moderate gain, clean to distorted, Fender/Marshall sounding channel with treble/middle and bass control...s.
    3. 2 channel version with both of the above (add £150)
    4. Custom made 1 or 2 channel guitar preamp to your spec. e.g. Orange/Matamp, Fender Twin, Marshall JCM800, High Gain SLO style etc.  :D

Half/quarter power via 2/4 output valve switch and low voltage switch, global master volume and presence controls, variable-level post output transformer, balanced DI out, 4 and 8 ohm speakon outputs (or 8 and 16 on guitar version), buffered zero loss effects loop, passive and active inputs.

High quality 18mm birch ply cabinet, with sprung-loaded side handles. Choice of tolex and trim colours.

£1600 for single channel bass version, 50% deposit.

The name was voted on by members of the Basschat forum, and is the Celtic god of thunder, and there's a build thread on that forum too by the owner of the first one.

The transformers are made by BLS in the UK, and the chassis is aluminium alloy, reinforced with u-channels and L-sections to prevent fatigue cracking. It's time consuming doing it that way, but results in a light and strong chassis, and is more economic for a custom amp than having a steel chassis punched, drilled and plated.

Here's a pic of it in development. It's having it's control panels fitted this weekend, along with having it's Seafoam Green cabinet finished, and should be delivered to it's new owner next week, after the photo shoot on Monday. He kindly agreed to come up and try out the amp a few weeks back when it was ready for testing (me not being a bass player) and I think it's safe to say he was delighted with it.

Excellent work.

I think there is a real gap in market for valve bass amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    jpfamps said:

Excellent work.

I think there is a real gap in market for valve bass amps.

I hope there is, it seems to have generated some interest.