Opinions on this (Gumtree) R8 - legit or not?

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
Description has been cut and pasted, serial looks like a 2011 and the price seems low, what do you think?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/gibson-custom-shop-1958-les-paul-plaintop-vos-in-ice-tea/1088684932

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Scam.

Slightly too low slightly odd price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2014
    ICBM said:
    Scam.

Slightly too low slightly odd price.
    That is my feeling also, there are a lot of wrong 'uns on Gumtree and you can't be too careful.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • I don't think the price is ridiculously low for a 2011. You could phone the number in the ad - you can often tell a lot just from speaking to the 'seller'.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    It is a low price - or at least I think he should be able to get a better one - and the serial number says it's definitely not a 2014.  

But maybe he's just lazily posted the specs for the current version of the same model.  It amazes me that people are careless enough to do that when they're expecting to be paid a couple of grand for something, but a lot of people do it.

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Usually when replying to these types of ads via email, you'll get no response and an email from gumtree a day later stating you've been in contact with a fraudulent seller. This is a bit strange that it has a phone number though. Give it a try if you're serious.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited November 2014
    I always google the phone number - sometimes it's been used in a scam before; other times it belongs to a legitimate person who also uses it for business, which you can mention when you call it. Couldn't find this one though, which is unusual.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Dude might just need cash in a hurry tho chaps.....
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Doesn't scream fake looking at photos. There was a R9 on there couple of months ago for a £2000 which seemed genuine
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    The photos are of a real R8. The problem is to tell whether the seller actually has it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    ICBM;414670" said:
    The photos are of a real R8. The problem is to tell whether the seller actually has it.
    Which is surely not a problem if you ring him and intend to collect the guitar?

Gumtree only endorse face to face transactions so if you ring the seller and he won't deal that way - then it's time to smell a rat.

Lazy listing most probably as Philly says.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Google images is sometimes good for finding if the photos have been stolen from another description. This one turned up nothing, even the last one, which is an uncommon angle to take a photo of a guitar. Not a guarantee of credibility if it doesn't turn up anything though.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Odd selling price.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom