Getting started with Garageband - help needed

NPPNPP Frets: 236
edited November 2014 in Studio & Recording
I have a Mac which comes with Garageband so I thought I might as well use it as a practice tool. However, I seem to be too stupid to do anything at all with it. 

Starting with something simple, I thought I'd create a loop with just a closed Hi-hat on 2 and 4. And I'm already stuck. So I guess creating my own backing tracks and recording my playing, or recording what I play over a simple drum loop to check my timing, is simply beyond me. 

I can normally get my head round computer tasks but I've never done anything music related. On my PC I used bounce metronome but that doesn't exist for Mac. 

Any ideas on where to start (online how-tos etc.?)?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Youtube...

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• darcymdarcym Frets: 1297

move this to the recording/studio forum and you'll get some good answers.

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    darcym said:

move this to the recording/studio forum and you'll get some good answers.

cheers, done! (though the question may be insufficiently complex for recording/studio - I am ashamed of asking something that to the initiated must sound like 'how do I turn on my PC')

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited November 2014
    I always use GB for recording stuff, which sadly is not often enough but I've been using it on and off for about ten years. 

I've never really bothered with trying to make my own drum/ rhythm loops unless completely stumped. I usually take stuff from the bundled loops. Might be limiting myself but there you go. 

I have got an MP3 of an isolated John Bonham track that I've imported into GB for future use too. 

A nice place to start might be to just put down a rhythm track using the metronome to make sure you're in time. You can then remove this and add the loop of your choosing. 

If it's any inspiration, the guy who does all the demos for Prymaxevintage on Youtube uses GB all the time. Nothing fancy about what he does, and it's all in the composition and excellent playing.