USB interface advice/ recommendations.

I'm a Mac desktop user and have been using garageband for a long time, but need to step up to something a tad more complex to enable me to properly mic up my guitar (have had enough of the GB/ basic Amplitube amp/ effect modelling stuff!) 

We might well be getting an iPad soon as well. 

So what USB interfaces can people recommend that are Mac (and possibly IPAD) compatible, preferably with separate mic and guitar inputs. 

A further question is do these interfaces supply power to condenser mics, or do you still need a separate power source for these? 

One last question: I've got a Samson USB condenser mic which plugs into the back of my Mac fine. But I'm thinking now as if I had an iPad, so is there such a thing as an interface that has a USB input as well, or are these USB mice mainly for just plugging into a computer? 

I don't record that often so I was thinking that a budget of up to £100 might get me something reliable and good.  

Cheers. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited November 2014
    iTrack solo looks like it might well be perfect? 
    £99 too :) 
    has 48v phantom power for your microphone too, so you can power and use the mic without an external power supply. 
    Has a USB port on the back too, not sure if you could plug a mouse or mic into it though. Might just be for USB MIDI devices like keyboards and drum pads. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    The new Line6 Sonic Port vx has both usb and iPad connections. The promo videos are quite impressive.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Hertz32 said:
    iTrack solo looks like it might well be perfect? 
    £99 too :) 
    has 48v phantom power for your microphone too, so you can power and use the mic without an external power supply. 
    Has a USB port on the back too, not sure if you could plug a mouse or mic into it though. Might just be for USB MIDI devices like keyboards and drum pads. 
    This would be my choice for what you describe too. I'm not sure a usb mic would work in the USB port, but to be honest, if you went the interface way you are best to replace your usb mic with an anolog one as you are getting the quality converstion via your interface and you will no longer need a mic that does the converstion for you.
  • If Firewire is an option (and I appreciate that it might not be), the TC Impact Twin can be had for around £120 and it's bloody excellent. Built in compression, monitoring reverb, two great-sounding preamps, loads of I/O options (including ADAT for future expansion)...the only problem is that it's Firewire.

The TC Konnect (the earlier version of the Twin) is also bloody good.
    <space for hire>
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Really helpful.