Beatles worst Gig??

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
edited November 2014 in Live
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

Heh heh I've done quite a few with less people than that. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    A mock funeral eh? Maybe a practice for the real secret one a few years later?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Danny1969 said:

Heh heh I've done quite a few with less people than that. 

Those are called RECORDING SESSIONS, mate - they're not supposed to have a crowd.  :)) #-o
  • They played a club in West Bromwich which is now the site of the office block where I work.
    So, in some senses, I have played with the Beatles. :)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    They played a club in West Bromwich which is now the site of the office block where I work.
    I have been onstage at Middlesbrough Town Hall where the Beatles played. And many other bands, including the first Rolling Stones show outside of London.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Lixarto said:
    They played a club in West Bromwich which is now the site of the office block where I work.
    I have been onstage at Middlesbrough Town Hall where the Beatles played. And many other bands, including the first Rolling Stones show outside of London.

I bet you haven't been on TheFB whilst drinking coffee and not getting on with your work in those places though...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    I think The Beatles themselves thought their worst gig was Shea Stadium. They couldn't hear anything on stage above the deafening screaming noise from the fans, and at one point Lennon was reduced to clowning about on his piano, paying no attention to what he was playing at all. I think Ringo had some sort of problem with his kit as well, but didn't bother to stop to fix it because no-one would have been able to tell.

Most of the footage that exists of it has the music overdubbed on afterwards from other performances, you can see it's not sync'ed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    They played the Bridge Hotel in Tenbury Wells just as they were getting big, they had driven overnight to come from filming From Me to You on Ready Steady Go, it was a gig that was booked before they took off and it was in the diary so Brian Epstein honoured it.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    miserneil said:
    They played the Bridge Hotel in Tenbury Wells just as they were getting big, they had driven overnight to come from filming From Me to You on Ready Steady Go, it was a gig that was booked before they took off and it was in the diary so Brian Epstein honoured it.
    I grew up less than ten miles from there and never knew about that! Although it was five years before I moved there (at the age of one) anyway, so I didn't exactly 'miss it' :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The worst I ever played... was to an empty pub save for the barmaid and my wife, who was sat at the bar. 

After three songs, I suggested to the barmaid that she gives us our petrol money and we could all piss off home. Which is exactly what happened...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Cleared a pub too many times :(

To be fair, usually a Monday night, Darts team away match, no food - so there were only 3-4 people in the first place, nursing their pre-dinner pints ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    impmann said:
    The worst I ever played... was to an empty pub save for the barmaid and my wife, who was sat at the bar. 

After three songs, I suggested to the barmaid that she gives us our petrol money and we could all piss off home. Which is exactly what happened...
    It was a night like that in a half-derelict pub around the back of Kings Cross in London, (except it was a bloke slumped on the bar rather than your missus, (and I think he had a dog))... and in 18 months the band had earned £9 between the four of us... and that was the night I decided that I probably wasn't gonna make it in an originals band, ever.  And playing in a covers band then seemed obvious.
  • Played many a gig where there were more of us on stage than in audience, and that was as a duo!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 399
    McCartney claimed in a Culture Show interview a couple of years ago that the worst gig they ever played was in my hometown, Stroud: the Teds threw sharpened coins at them, and short on funds, they picked them up afterwards.

MY MUM WAS THERE, FACT FANS.

BONUSFACT: she saw the Beatles and the Stones in their heyday, and reckons the Kinks knocked them both into a cocked hat.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    I once did a gig where a landlady had decided it might bring more punters in on a night when the pub was usually dead if they had a band on, but hadn't thought to publicise it in any way so when we got there the pub was completely empty. 

We said she had to pay us regardless so she said we had to play so we played to a completely empty room. Whenever she left the room we sat on our amps and drank beer while playing then stood up when she came back in :)

In the vein of @benecol my mum used to go and watch The Who when they were still called The High Numbers.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    It got to a point in Atari Youth Club where it was a standard 'paid rehearsal' with one person dancing and maybe 10 other people in the pub. Man doesn't need a maid, man needs a promoter.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    /\ what I'd give to go to an Atari club now... I love my STf
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My Dad used to get billed alongside the Beatles in the early 60's before the record deals and the fame. He played The Cavern alongside them as well as various dance halls and even 'The Star Club' in Hamburg. He said they all regularly played to scant audiences due to poor publicity and sometimes 3 bands would arrive to find no advertising had been done at all but they played anyway because they were all so broke they couldn't afford not to get paid for it.
    Apparently my Dad often played with less than 6 strings, hoping another wouldn't snap before the end of the gig because he couldn't afford new ones. He played a Guild Thunderbird S-200.

My Dad was Mike Johnston, Guitarist with 'Roy and The Dions'.

Maybe one of his bandmates named 'Stan Alexander' is out there somewhere and remembers him ?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I think yout dad would enjoy Mark Lewisohn's book "All these years - Tune into the Beatles"

Pretty much the whole huge  book is dedicated to the early days, those early venues and other bands and musicians 
    Your dad might well be mentioned in it 

Back in those days your guitar and amp  could cost a years salary and bands often shared amps, taking tha bus cos they couldn't afford a car 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Danny1969 said:

I think yout dad would enjoy Mark Lewisohn's book "All these years - Tune into the Beatles"

Pretty much the whole huge  book is dedicated to the early days, those early venues and other bands and musicians 
    Your dad might well be mentioned in it 

Back in those days your guitar and amp  could cost a years salary and bands often shared amps, taking tha bus cos they couldn't afford a car 
    @Danny1969

Thank you very much.
    Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to get him that book for Christmas and sit and look through it with him watching him remember his heyday..........
    Unfortunately i lost my best friend in 2001 and all i can do is honour what he was, but what i will do is get that book this Christmas and enjoy it on his behalf. I usually still buy him something for Christmas and unwrap it myself as i've always felt like he's sat right next to me most of the time.
    It's his anniversary in 3 days time (4th Dec) and i'm still trying to come to terms with it 13 years later. Finding some mention of him somewhere would be nice so i will look for that book.

Thank you very much for mentioning it. Sincerely.