Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

best ever live album?

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Free LIve!

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    edited September 2013
    johnnyurq said:
    stickyfiddle;40679" said:

My personal favourite is U2 at Slane Castle.
    That wasn't bad at all but for me Under a Blood Red Sky was U2 at their most potent. probably due to me being and older bugger.
    UABRS captures a young band in their initial rush, but so many of their best songs are from the Achtung Baby and later period that it isn't a real comparison for me. I'm an older bugger too :). (My first U2 album bought at release was War.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Under a Blood Red Sky has a massive bum note in it - that's why is so good ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBM;40971" said:
    UABRS captures a young band in their initial rush, but so many of their best songs are from the Achtung Baby and later period that it isn't a real comparison for me. I'm an older bugger too :). (My first U2 album bought at release was War.)
    Pretty much agree with you that they had some much better songs later on but for me the raw energy made it a fairly seminal gig for me.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned THE best live album, namely 'Space Ritual' by Hawkwind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • One of the first lp's I ever bought was Creedence Clearwater Revival Live which, I later discovered, was entirely studio tapes with an audience dubbed on. So don't count that.

How much of Live and Dangerous was live depends on who you ask. If you believe Scott Gorham then we can count it. So do include that.

I used to have a copy of Live Evil by Black Sabbath which I enjoyed at the time and may get the prize for best live album title.So do include that.

The Eagle Has Landed by Saxon ( no giggling at the back there) just because it is what I was carrying when I bumped into Biff Byford. So do include that.

Bit undecided on which Rory one but Irish Tour 74 was pretty much my introduction to him so I'll go for that.

Like all of these I either don't regularly listen to them anymore or don't own a copy but I was very fond of Press the Eject and Give me the Tape by Bauhaus - again a great album title if nothing else.

But my winner is probably Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin which is an album I rediscover every few years( having first heard it 40 years ago) and is simply awesome in many ways. It is very short, the swearing is bleeped out, one song is played twice and it ends with the sound of a near riot but the songs and performances are superb, Carl Perkins guitar work is a model of restraint and precision and the vibe is just such a slice of history.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    How much of Live and Dangerous was live depends on who you ask. If you believe Scott Gorham then we can count it. So do include that.

Toni Visconti is adamant it was overdubbed .. not sure why he'd say that if it wasn't true as he'd get sued. And if it wasn't true why didn't the band/record label sue him?

Interesting article: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/brian-robertson-puts-the-live-back-in-live-and-dangerous/147543

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    No doubt, Queen - Live Killers was the album of my teens, just listen to how much energy these guys had with this rocked up version of We Will Rock You:

Hell of a shout on the Queen front. Wembley, Live Aid and Montreal haven't been mentioned either!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired;41166" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Toni Visconti is adamant it was overdubbed .. not sure why he'd say that if it wasn't true as he'd get sued. And if it wasn't true why didn't the band/record label sue him?

Interesting article: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/brian-robertson-puts-the-live-back-in-live-and-dangerous/147543
    Gorham said something to the effect that Visconti has changed his tune over time and exagerated the studio content more and more. The argument is that if you listen to any other live recordings from the same period the playing is of the same standard as L&D so they had no need to overdub much.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Bidley said:
    No doubt, Queen - Live Killers was the album of my teens, just listen to how much energy these guys had with this rocked up version of We Will Rock You:

Hell of a shout on the Queen front. Wembley, Live Aid and Montreal haven't been mentioned either!

Don't forget "Live on Fire at The Bowl" I thought that was a cracking album/dvd.

Queen always put on great Live shows.

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Some great ones mentioned already. As a huge fan of live recordings, I've discounted live DVD's, as that list would have me here all night, but here's a few I don't think have been mentioned yet 

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Simple-Minds-5x5-Live.jpg

• wordywordy Frets: 67

how about Nirvana - Unplugged, and Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall....

ooh and the Portishead one 'Live in NYC'.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Glad someone else has mentioned Space Ritual. There's the live-album-as-compilation, and then there's the live-album-as-something-else-entirely, and SR has to be one of prime examples of the latter.

Another great example of the former, which I should have remembered sooner, is Runrig's Once in a Lifetime.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    Eric Clapton's 'Unplugged'. A lovely reminder of his musical roots and much warmth displayed towards him by the audience after the loss of his son...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Also Peter Gabriel's "Secret World" and "Growing Up". :)
  • ddlooping;41328" said:
    Also Peter Gabriel's "Secret World" and "Growing Up". :)
    These were DVDs, weren't they? Anyway, there're great. I love the guy's voice.

I'm very excited. Going to see PG on 25th October. Seems he'll have Manu Katche on drums, Tony Levin on bass and David Rhodes on guitar....

Can't wait!
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited September 2013
    ddlooping;41328" said:
    Also Peter Gabriel's "Secret World" and "Growing Up". :)
    These were DVDs, weren't they? Anyway, there're great. I love the guy's voice.

I'm very excited. Going to see PG on 25th October. Seems he'll have Manu Katche on drums, Tony Levin on bass and David Rhodes on guitar....

Can't wait!
    Extremely envious of you. Any spare ticket? :)

P.S: there's a bluray version of the Live In Athens (1987) gig out. ;)
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927
    Bidley said:

Don't forget "Live on Fire at The Bowl" I thought that was a cracking album/dvd.

Queen always put on great Live shows.

:)
    Yes! Budapest as well... Is there a recording of any sort of their Madison Square Garden show? I'd love to hear that.

And yes, Queen are one of the best live acts of all time. Freddie was the best there was and ever will be (IMO) :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited September 2013
    ddlooping;41353" said:
    Extremely envious of you. Any spare ticket? :)
    Funnily enough my niece booked the tickets and has to go to China with work when gig's on.

The guy who's cut my hair for over 20 years (who's also a guitar player) has been off work for over a year with cancer. Not long before that, his wife of over 20 years left him for someone else. He's a lovely guy who wouldn't hurt a fly... Amazing how bad things happen to good people.

He's making a great recovery but has lost his business. I last bumped into him at the North West Guitar Show. He was about to have a bone-marrow transplant....

Anyway, he's been a Gabriel fan since the Genesis days, so I've offered him the ticket. Happily, he's well enough to go... Otherwise, I would have been happy to oblige!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • More votes for Live At Leeds and Strangers In The Night here.

Also love Exodus's Another Lesson In Violence - if only for the late Paul Baloff's between song raps, which are hilarious, possibly without meaning to be.