I have a question....

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Ok so here's a question i'm posing and would love to know people's thoughts.

There are lots of gerat manufacturers out there who make superb instruments. However when you see bands on tv (either live or miming) they almost always stick to the main stream manufcaturers (Fender, Gibson etc).

This is especially true of backing bands for singers/artists.

So in reality is a custom band such as Anderson/ Suhr really any better than a Fender or as guitarists are we all really just wanting that famous brand on the headstock when playing on stage?

(or 3rd thought - do they get paid/endorsed more than we think to promote certain brands?)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MDKVMDKV Frets: 56
    If you're a band on tour you want to cut costs.  Part of this is freight.  If you're endorsed by a bit brand they can have the gear ready for you in the country you are next visiting.  Small brands just don't have the international representation to be able to offer this. 

If Chad Smith was going to go and do a drum demo at a place in the UK he wouldn't bring his kit, there would be one there provided for him.  
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    The miming thing - they probably just turn up at a place, and get handed something to pose with. I think they're not even always musicians, who you see behind singers on tv shows, maybe sometimes they're musicians, but just hired in for the show.. Maybe money changes hands, I dunno.. Maybe the production company for the show has a deal with a supplier, and they just get the usual suspects...?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Paid or endorsements or endorsed for a reduced price for te instument.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Or maybe the online hype by well-paid middle aged office workers for three grand Strat copies is actually a source of amused bewilderment amongst real musicians.

Of course I'll be bombarded with notable exceptions, but in my years of touring and studio work most players who need say a Strat or a 335 for a job will just reach for a Strat or a 335.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    Of course I'll be bombarded with notable exceptions, but in my years of touring and studio work most players who need say a Strat or a 335 for a job will just reach for a Strat or a 335.
    who would have thunk it eh? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    p90fool said:
    Or maybe the online hype by well-paid middle aged office workers for three grand Strat copies is actually a source of amused bewilderment amongst real musicians.

Probably about right ;). A 'real' musician probably hasn't got time to surf the internet to find out why the guitar he's played for 10 years isn't good enough.
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    p90fool said:

this: