Amp plug wiring question

FazerFazer Frets: 467
so, a 2nd hand amp i got on ebay arrived with a smashed up plug.
it has some odd double wiring that i've not seen before, a 2nd mains cable that shares the blue/brown connections.
is it just an alternative mains socket type for europe or something? (via some kind of adapter)
or maybe it was some kind of piggyback wiring for something else, like a powered footswitch for that amp?
(which i dont have or need)

imageimageimageimage
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    So that two-pin female connector is at the end of the black cable, where does the end of the blue cable go?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    the grey (the camera has 'corrected' it to blue) is hardwired into the back of the amp.

so the grey/blue cable hardwired from amp into uk standard plug, and then there is that (longish) black cable sharing the blue/brown inside the plug and ending in the 2-pin female
    closeup of black 2-pin

• My guess is that the black cable was for some echo or fx unit that sat on top of the amp.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Yep, it'll have been the mains cable for some other device. Definitely time to remove that cable and just have the amp cable going into the mains plug, and nothing else.
    yep.
    whats the right fuse for a 100w ss amp?
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    1A or 3A would be fine.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    3A.

1A is both too low (it could easily blow on the start-up surge or if the amp is cranked into distortion in the output section) and not a standard approved fuse value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein