Classical Guitars

What's Hot

Looking to upgrade a Yamaha C40.  I want something several steps up in quality which sonce the Yamaha is laminate should be fairly easy.  I've tried a few Admira's, they are okay but in all honesty the Yamaha playes better than the ones I have tried.  I'd like probably Solid woods all round with an ebony fretboard.

What makes should I be looking at?

Also playing a little Flamenco, the only option here seems to be to have a separate guitar, does anybody separate classical and flamenco guitars?  I was thinking about having one that was middle ground but I would imagine that would just be a compromise on both counts.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I use a non classical non flamenco Yamaha ntx 700 

Its solid wood, sounds great, plays great and has a cutaway. Its no purists instrument but for the money is fantastic. 

The main thing would be your budget. How much have you got to spend?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • The main thing would be your budget. How much have you got to spend?
    I’ll spend what I need to. I guess all solids start around £500 and go up to many thousands. If I could get what I want for £600 – 700 I would be happy. I like Yamaha’s, I have a silent guitar SLG110 as well, but definitely looking for the full classical non cutaway for this guitar. I might even sit properly as well…..
  • I would personally lean towards second hand amalio burguet. You can get £2k classicals for £500 on ebay. 

I played a lot in my quest for a new classical and the burguet was lovely.
    I think there is a fair selection over in Manchester to check out. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I would personally lean towards second hand amalio burguet. You can get £2k classicals for £500 on ebay. 

I played a lot in my quest for a new classical and the burguet was lovely.
    I think there is a fair selection over in Manchester to check out. 
    Words taken out of my mouth @meltedbuzzbox - I got mine from Foulds in Manchester as it happens. Just a lowly Burguet 3M cedar top model, I think I haggled them down to £700 with a Hiscox Pro case thrown in (this was in 2005) - but in terms of the sound, it was beating guitars at well over a grand.

• Agree that buying from a reputable shop is a good idea - also what sound do you what - tastes vary as does neck configuration. You might want to budget for string lowering as well. I play a Camps Brothers mid price model which sounds better than some of the bigger names. Fitting a golpe and lowering the strings is a good way to play flamenco Many flamenco players do this. A true flamenco guitar is great when playing for dancers but is rather rackety when played solo 
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Paco de Lucía used a Flamenco Negro, which has rosewood sides rather than the cypress or sycamore used in an accompanists Flamenco Blanco guitar and gives a deeper sound.

Conde Hermanos workshop is just round the corner from me. Their stuff is very lustworty.
  • I notice you're in Stockport - a trip to Forsythes in Manchester would be a good idea.They have a very wide selection. If you go mid-week it should be quiet enough to properly evacuate them.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Check out the Cuenca secondhand at coda music, it was mine and its a seriously nice sounding instrument. I just never played it and needed something else.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/