Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A 'friendly' steer on pricing...

What's Hot
kurremkarmerrukkurremkarmerruk Frets: 18
edited December 2014 in Guitar
I know what I paid for my gear (usually too much) and when I come to move it on (usually too soon) I don't want to make a profit (not here anyway) but I don't want to lose out too much. I get the odd 'friendly' post: "just to let you know mate [guitar shop x] is selling exactly the same as you for £cheaper." These posters always call me "mate" and let me know when my gear is too dear not too cheap (I have sold stuff really quickly which tells me the price was competitive). Does it matter that there's one shop out there that's a bit cheaper? If I want a certain price, and I can't sell, my look out. And you can always buy it there. My loss. That said, a helpful steer can be really good and is a helpful reality check. It's what the forum us brilliant at. That said, I've had a couple of instances that when I followed up on a "mate, just to let you know..." tip off, said shop didn't have it cheaper, never had it cheaper, thought it was hilarious that I thought I could get x for that price (and thought my enquiry was a cheap negotiating ploy). Naughty naughty.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Well priced gear will sell. People should do their research before selling as its pointless looking at how much you paid as frankly that is irrelevant. I've more of an issue with 'sloppy' sellers. "Guitar for sale pics on request make me an offer" erm, no. Put simply if you put the effort in to price and market your guitar right, it'll sell - if you don't, don't expect to move it on quickly and please don't endlessly bump it without wondering why you have to!
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I've had that a couple of times here. "I can get xxx guitar at xxx for the same price new" my response is typically "enjoy it! :-)" a few days later... "mate... what's the lowest you can do?" haha
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    edited December 2014
    I get the odd 'friendly' post: "just to let you know mate [guitar shop x] is selling exactly the same as you for £cheaper." 
    But, from what I can see of your history, you've only listed your Carr amp for sale here, so that's not really a lot of experience to judge on.

[edit]
    Amp unsold after 3 months, which is probably as good an indicator on its pricing as all the helpful mates' comments!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6189
    tFB Trader
    Always best to wait out for the price you want.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kurremkarmerrukkurremkarmerruk Frets: 18
    edited December 2014
    I have only listed one thing here. This is an excellent forum. My limited experience here has been fantastic. Bit surprised to have my history delved into for posting a discussion point TTony.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I have only listed one thing here. This is an excellent forum. My limited experience here has been fantastic. Bit surprised to have my history delved into for posting a discussion point TTony.
    Easy to see all the discussions anyone has started, and makes sense to see what items you are talking about. Is your original post more about selling on forums in general rather than on here in particular?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    I had to same crap when I was selling the Prs I had. Had it up for a very good price and then had an email come through offering me £200 less than I was asking (which would of put the price around what a second hand SE would of cost) because it didn't have a case.

Put him straight and said that there's no chance of me selling that low and the price already reflects the lack of case.

I don't mind people making offers but recently people have been making offers as if I'm some sort of idiot who will fall for it.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27611
    Bit surprised to have my history delved into for posting a discussion point TTony.
    It was more to see whether you'd been hassled on FS threads (which is not something that we "encourage").  All part of the service ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    I wouldn't mind a friendly PM about price but when it's done in the thread in full glare of everybody which totally destroys your sale then I think that's out of order!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
    edited December 2014
    thorpy6 said:
    That only works if your asking price is reasonable. There's plenty of ways to ascertain the 'going rate', by looking at ebay completed auctions, gumtree asking prices (though probably not guitars that have been for sale at the same price for a year and not sold...) and on here. If you you offer something at the low end of the going rate it will probably sell easily, if you offer it at the high end it will take time. But if the price you want is absolute top dollar it may take forever and not sell. You asks your money and takes your choice...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • horse said:
    Easy to see all the discussions anyone has started, and makes sense to see what items you are talking about. Is your original post more about selling on forums in general rather than on here in particular?

Yes, my experience has has been brilliant,.  FB has knowledgeable, genuine and enthusiastic people, in my experience to date.  I don't do threads as a rule, but this one is awesome.  I haven't sold me amp, but its a high end amp and I'm realistic about its chances.  'sides, although people sometimes say they're in two minds about selling an item,  I genuinely am and I understand where they're comin' from.  If I kept it I am not disappointed.
  • The trouble with things like ebay and old gumtree listings is that somewhere in the UK someone has sold the thing you are trying to sell for a bargain price. The reason it sold for a bargain price is that it was "collection only" from the Scottish Highlands, had some cosmetic damage or weighs a tonne and they didn't want to ship it, or simply they were desperate to make some quick cash and sold it at price to get a quick sale. Nevertheless you get the "Mate one of these sold for half the price on ebay the other day, would you do it for the same price". To which my answer is "Well someone got a bargain".

I still can't believe than an original Fender Electric XII sold on ebay for £600 buy it now the other week. But I'd never email someone selling one saying "one sold for this much the other day, would you sell it for that much?" because it was an unprecedented bargain. Sometimes you get a good price.
  • PS TTony, thanks for lookin' out for me.  No probs here at all. Quite the reverse.
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    it's not happened on here but does happen quite often on gumtree, that someone will message and say "it goes for so and so price", when i say "where?" they say "saw it online" with no link offered.

it is the case that a brief search on google/ebay will list an item on american ebay with a £ price, so a lazy or a chancer will use that as their benchmark, casually avoiding the issue of extra postage/vat/duty/availability
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I think a few people need to understand the concept of depreciating asset versus brand new with warranty.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • kurremkarmerrukkurremkarmerruk Frets: 18
    edited December 2014
    There have been  some very goods threads here about the value added by a shop.  I 'm tryin to get a grand for me Mercury .  I called a Carr dealer in the UK and they will give me a grand for it if I part-ex it (I was looking at an another amp for c£1300 and mine is a custom finish job).  I daresay they'll stick it up for sale with a mark-up (and I would expect them to, they are a business).  I don't think I'm over-priced at all.  Fact is, not everyone wants a Mercury, not everyone's got a grand to spare.  Doesn't mean my price is off, doen't man I'm not being realistic. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    edited December 2014
    thorpy6;437685" said:
    Always provided of course that any hold out price is realistic.
    ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7793
    Voxman said:
    thorpy6;437685" said:
    ;)
    Even if it isn't, you're entitled to wait ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    Paul_C;437812" said:
    Voxman said:

thorpy6;437685" said:Always best to wait out for the price you want.

;)

Even if it isn't, you're entitled to wait ;)
    Of course. But if you're paying for the ad or ebay insertion fee, then an unrealistic price may not encourage bidders or responses, and could get expensive. I suppose it also depends on whether you're in a hurry to sell or not, and can afford to sit back and wait. But hey, it's each persons choice as to their approach on pricing.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
    edited December 2014
    Voxman said:
    Of course. But if you're paying for the ad or ebay insertion fee, then an unrealistic price may not encourage bidders or responses, and could get expensive. I suppose it also depends on whether you're in a hurry to sell or not, and can afford to sit back and wait. But hey, it's each persons choice as to their approach on pricing.

Ebay lets you list for free these days with a fixed price, best offer. It's great.