Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you think other hobbies have GAS like we do?

What's Hot

Comments

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    +1 on the mountain biking, but I'd also include road cycling too. 

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The question is what do they call it? 

So I've seen... books, home audio, plugins and mountain biking mentioned here. 

What do they suffer from? 

"I suffer from BAS" or "I suffer from PAS" or "HAAS" just doesn't sound the same as GAS!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2889
    Class As
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My mate works in outdoor clothing... You can buy 'approach socks' - then what do you wear ?? Went hiking with him last year and he brought 3 different pairs of gloves and two different jumpers which he swapped between. I'd say my one of each system saved me weight but I'm a couple of stone heavier to start with lol...
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    I suspect it depends on the hobby (some hobbies probably do require very little kit), but any that do require lots of kit, I suspect it's the same.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22978
    edited December 2014
    I'm interested in some of these things but I don't get obsessed with them like I do with guitars.

Home audio/video for example.  When I need a new TV or Blu-ray player or something, I'll spend a few weeks intensively researching it and get the very best I can in my price range.... but once I've got it I keep it until it breaks.  And only then do I go through the process again.

• Definitely. I know a gunsmith (officially an arms dealer, actually, just a legal one) who makes really high-end gun parts. He can charge up to £15k for a trigger mechanism or precision rifle barrel, and he's not even at the very top of the price range for that sort of thing.
    <space for hire>
  • Absolutely, yes.

Some time ago, I used to be a major collector of vintage coin-op video games:

At one point, I had over 60 in the house/gamesroom/workshop, with numerous other stored all over the place (at work, in friends garages, barns, etc).

I regularly used to travel all over the UK, picking up machines, plus imported them from Europe, USA, etc. GAS was a major factor.

I've only got about 15 now, plus a few pinballs - all in storage.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Hillman Imps.

I've owned more than 160 of them.

Yes, really.

I need a life...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    My partner and daughter have a horse each, plus a shared one. Food, hoof care, rugs, saddles, bridles, trailer for transporting horses, decent vehicle for said trailer. Endless money pit.
  • Richardj said:
    My partner and daughter have a horse each, plus a shared one. Food, hoof care, rugs, saddles, bridles, trailer for transporting horses, decent vehicle for said trailer. Endless money pit.
    My sister spent so much on horses she started her own business selling stuff to horsey people...!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    impmann said:
    Hillman Imps.

I've owned more than 160 of them.

Yes, really.

I need a life...

I really can't guess where your username came from....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Then you can apply it to any obsession you like!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Cycling for sure, for a start you need more than one, they wear out so you regularly have a need to upgrade bits. The bits get increasingly blingy and of course that makes you go faster! Then you have the summer kit, the winter kit and lights and cameras and gps and heart rate monitors. worse than guitars? For me probably.

• I was going to say that surely this is more to do with just being a bloke. But then I remembered handbags and shoes. People just want. MORE.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4711
    One word

Porsche

Gave them up two years ago and actually have cash now.  My last one - Mk1 GT3 - went in for service and was going to cost around £500.00 as there was so little to do - except maybe the oil leak which would be an engine out job but, while the engine was out, we could fix whatever else we couldn't easily see now.

£5500.00 later I drove it home..............
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3627
    I think anything men get involved with has a GAS attachment!

I don't do it but people I know spend a grand on a fishing pole and are forever buying bits and pieces.

My other hobby is wristwatches, I have bought a lot over the years but fortunately I have a good profit in all of them as interest has increased over time. 

I did swap one that cost me £140 for my Les Paul standard. 
    ;)
  • my correlation is the more I gig and jam and get out and actually play the less interested in gear and GAS I am. when im not gigging is when I start looking at equipment and trying to spend money
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544
    S&M and other fetishes can really start to rack up the equipment.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Neil said:
    I think anything men get involved with has a GAS attachment!

I don't do it but people I know spend a grand on a fishing pole and are forever buying bits and pieces.

I do, but I only get the stuff I'll actually use. I see little point in carrying 8 rod etc the the lakes and using the same one every time.

Last "big spend" (£500) was 2 new pike rods, reels and kit, cos some thieving fuck nicked my last lot from my shed. That was 3 years ago.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)