Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you think other hobbies have GAS like we do?

What's Hot

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    rossi said:
    juansolo said:
    My main hobby is running cars around race tracks... We're way beyond Dumble money... Started off in an MX-5, went to Westfields/Caterhams, then to a Radical, now to a Juno.

Which is why now I'm not working, I'm selling up.

The secret of  making money from motorsport is to run someone else .its safer too .

Well I'll be helping run the car even when I've sold my half, with the option of hiring it should I wish to have a go at any point.

Only ever crashed properly once... Then again I've started navigating for a friend in rally so chances of that have increased exponentially.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    Alnico said:

The 1989 Mercedes 190E was going to cost £7k in parts alone and then i sold that to buy a Porsche 924S...............

I still have a Merc 190E, it's my daily driver and there's a 1938 Rover 10 Coupe (one of only 5) in the garage. Though that's not mine.

Some time ago, I used to be a major collector of vintage coin-op video games:

I want to be your friend (grabs a stack of 10ps)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    juansolo said:
    Alnico said:

The 1989 Mercedes 190E was going to cost £7k in parts alone and then i sold that to buy a Porsche 924S...............

I still have a Merc 190E, it's my daily driver and there's a 1938 Rover 10 Coupe (one of only 5) in the garage. Though that's not mine.
    @juansolo, Were you part of 'That Forum' around 2005-2009 ?
    edited December 2014
    Alnico said:
    juansolo said:
    Alnico said:

Yeah, I've had the 190 that long easily too ;) The Porsche came a little later... It's a weakness... Though I've been entertaining selling that recently and just buying myself I nice little MX5.

Edit: Actually that depends which forum you mean...
  • TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Richardj said:
    My partner and daughter have a horse each, plus a shared one. Food, hoof care, rugs, saddles, bridles, trailer for transporting horses, decent vehicle for said trailer. Endless money pit.
    My sister spent so much on horses she started her own business selling stuff to horsey people...!
    Missus has a horse. End of.

juansolo said:
    Alnico said:
    juansolo said:
    Alnico said:

Yeah, I've had the 190 that long easily too ;) The Porsche came a little later... It's a weakness...
    Well then there is a very good chance you know my old car..........
    i will see if i can find a photo of 146 PMJ
    I lurked on the 190E forum. Only think I ever posted once...
    impmann said:
    Hillman Imps.

I've owned more than 160 of them.

Yes, really.

I need a life...
    You are my hero!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My other hobbies don't require much kit- 
    Running= trainers, shorts and t-shirt… maybe a small jacket & hat if its REALLY cold (I'm in Scotland so that's a possibility 363days a year)

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu= I have a couple of Gi's (grappling pyjamas) and a roll of sports tape for when I inevitably stave my finger etc.

On the other hand I have a three year old and another baby due in March- THOSE are expensive and require an unbelievable number of accessories!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    edited December 2014
    Tropical Fish, although the GAS/FAS doesn't last too long as you can overstock the tank so once it gets to a nice balance of fish / room in the tank the GAS disappears 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Fountain pens...i have 50 odd...vintage, new, cheap and expensive...plus a bunch of parts and nibs...and like guitars it doesnt stop at the pen...there's paper and ink too...i think i have over 100 bottles of ink in all kinds of colours. Some are limited editions which i havent opened.

My brother has the same GAS when it comes to vintage watches and photography.

My dad has the same GAS with pens and electronic gadgets.

I think its a male thing, we never get past having toys to play with...the attitude is the same...but toys gets more expensive!
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    like @juansolo, @Alnico, @impmann and @rlw I have spent much more on my car than on music gear - though a grand on suspension, another on more power, and the costs of a number of trackdays per year seem positively minute compared to what others spend on their petrolheadedness. 

Thanks for making me feel better about it! ;)

• I mean, are bakers forever changing bread makers or amateur dramatic-types regularly swapping cravats? Is GAS most prevelant in us, the unwashed, antisocial guitary-types?
    Yes. I am a mountain biker. Stems, Seatposts, Saddles, Brakes, Gears, Carbon options, pedals, pads, tyres tubes can all be swapped out upgraded. then there is Hardtail, Full suss, Enduro, All mountain... on and on and on.... Then there is protection and clothes... Jeez.

Just like guitars some bikes are just works of art and have that droooooool factor :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    MazzaG said:
    Men who love anything generally buy every gadget going.
    Fixed it for you ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    impmann said:
    Hillman Imps.

I've owned more than 160 of them.

Yes, really.

I need a life...

A good friend of my family, used to buy stacks of cars, always changing them, apart from his "keeper" a VW Karmann Ghia.

One of the coolest cars he brought around to show us was a brand new Hillman Imp Sunbeam Stiletto in metallic blue.

160 though!   

:D

• gubblegubble Frets: 1750

So the morale of this post is.....

Guitar playing and collecting is rather inexpensive compared to other hobbies (esepcially motorsport).

I would suggest we all print this link and show it to our over halves when they moan about how much we are spending.

I've noticed that the amount we 'loose' on re-selling etc is much less than on classic cars / bikes etc.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Now i've been thinking about this, i've remembered some more of my motorised money spending madness........

Suzuki Katana GSX1000 (Slide carb model). Blew the engine so replaced it with a GSX 1100 EFE engine which was rebuilt to 1230cc (Wiseco) and tuning work done by Pip Higham of the now defunct 'Village Bike Shop' in Walkden, Manchester. Engine assembly was done by a Genius called Martin in Coventry who was an ex Suzuki Works Racing Team Mechanic and all ran from a set of Monster Carbs he sourced and the obligatory 'Harris' exhaust. The engine work included Gas flowed head, replaced valve seats and bigger valves, HD springs, High lift cams, Piston Kit, Welded crank, HD clutch - it just goes on and on and the engine rebuild alone cost.......
    GULP.......£4k.
    I did however have the only Old model Katana (at that point in time) round our way that would do 185mph (crouched down behind the tiny screen praying !).
    If anyone was ever at 'The Waterman' pub in Leamington around '97/'98 you might remember this bike - ridden by me wearing at the time a simpson RX8 airbrushed with the obligatory Monster head and snarling teeth and the name 'Scouse Vader' written down the side of the bike.
    At the end of summer '98 i crashed it at 100mph after getting camping gear caught in the rear wheel and locking it solid. Miraculously i walked away completely unhurt but the bike died that day.
    I managed to sell the scrap for £2k as the engine was relatively unhurt and the front end didn't bend so the rare forks, clocks and expensive engine paid for the next bike, sort of......

There were Ducati Monsters, Triumph's.............

God almighty the money i've wasted is now starting to dawn on me and it's frightening.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    It's not much different in recording land with plugins and whatnot. 

this is more where I am now.. endless GAS.. all loooodza bux..

play every note as if it were your first