N12stGD

What's Hot
ajaxajax Frets: 76
edited December 2014 in Guitar
Having asked opinions about 12 strings (Ricky vs Danelectro) someone mentioned the Italia Rimini.

So>>

Good points:  Plays great. Stays in tune (arrived in tune). Sounds great, especially treble p/up (which is what it's going to spend 99% of its time on)
Meh:   Weird lack of p/up switch (2 volumes). Needed a slight truss rod tweak (allen key provided). Nut is a bit high so a bit high action on low frets & a bit sharp on fret 1. No case. Back edge is very un-rounded so digs in sitting down.

Overall for £475, really great. Don't know if it's as good as a Ricky, but it absolutely does what I wanted it for.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Nice :D

When I read the title I thought it meant 12 stone :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Dave_Mc said:

Me Too !!!

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Serious question.........

How much fun is a 12 string electric to play ?

(and which is more difficult to avoid,.........'Maggie May' or '8 Miles High' ?)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    HUGE fun. They sound like grand pianos.

But if you buy a good one and turn the gain up... Fucking huge riffola.

I have owned electric 12s since 1990 - and they are just ace. I don't know how to play the songs you mention - nor care - as I find loads of inspiration for original stuff when playing my 12.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I'm not sure if I need a 12 string but those Italias look the business.

If a used one in mother of toilet seat finish comes up on eBay at a good price I would be very interested.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7914
    I picked up an early black pearloid one (with P90's) for £250.  Cracking guitar.  It's the easiest to play 12 string I've ever tried, and has a wonderful jangle to it.  Very 'ricky' like.

Some people convert them to a single volume control, and add a switch.

Marlin :)
    Wow, i've never considered one before and now i want to go try one.............

Now look what you've done ! :)

Happy New Guitar Day
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Alnico;439387" said:
    Dave_Mc said:

Me Too !!!

:)
    Yeah me three. I expected this to be another new Les Paul thread.

Nice guitar!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Love it!

I'll take credit for recommending italia... ;) well it sounds like something I'd do, I was very impressed with the 12 string I tried.
    I have always wanted the twin neck SG that Jimmy Page uses on Stairway to Heaven but the price of the Gibson is just so much.

Yes there's an Epiphone but it's got two bolt on necks which kind of puts me off straightaway and it's going to end up wanting decent pots and switches etc which is fair amount on top of the £750 price tag !

I think what you've got there @ajax is a really good guitar and i am gong to look into something like this after New Year.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I'm in love with my godin a12, they sound so full, riffs you have got bored of gain a new lease of life, and the inspiration I get from mine really has transformed my waiting love of the guitar. Get a good one and you will not regret it,..... However get a bad one and it will be the most frustrating guitar you wil ever use!
  • ajax said:
     someone mentioned the Italia Rimini.

Wrong forum, try goggling Rocco Siffredi, what he doesn't know about Italian Rimming ain't worth writing about.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Skarloey said:
    Yeah me three. I expected this to be another new Les Paul thread.
    LOL

I've never tried a 12-string either. They're meant to be hard to restring... I struggle enough with normal restringing that I don't want to buy something which I know going in has a bit of a rep of being a pain to restring... :))
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2169
    edited December 2014
    I always think John McLaughlin when i think 12 string.

Congratulations looks lovely :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Dave_Mc said:
    LOL

They're meant to be hard to restring... 
    Not really. Just a bit longer.

The Rickenbacker 12 has a reputation for being a pain with it's 'awkward' tailpiece. However, this is easily remedied with a capo and a bit of common sense!
  • @Ajax - glad you have a guitar you like.

@Alnico - As I mentioned in @ajax's last thread my main guitar is a Rickenbacker 12 string, and really it's no different to any other guitar associated with a particular sound. It's there if you want it just as Strats have that position 2 and 4 quack, but you can make whatever noise you want. If I want Byrds I have a compressor and I can get start to emulate Roger Mcguinn but he is really overlooked in terms of sheer technique and to get close requires an awful lot of work. A capo up high can get a little mandolin-ish so it's rare I do that.

To me every other guitar sounds a bit weedy, and while double stop bends are out, it just means for solos I need to do something else. I slide more than bend for example. And every chord ever sounds huge.

So yes twice as much fun as a six string. And restringing is a chore but not as bad as the moaning Minnies make out. Takes me about an hour including cleaning and resetting the bridge.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I think Rickenbackers are slightly more limited in what they can do than other electric 12s, simply because they are Rickenbackers. 
    I'm not knocking the Ric's abilities to be versatile (I will argue the case for a my 360 6-string in every department apart from stuff requiring a tremolo arm!), it's just the Ric 12's neck and frets don't allow it to be as lead guitar-friendly as my Fender XII or the DeArmond I used to have.
  • I really want a 12 string. I've only heard positive things about the Italia Rimini, nice score. 
    dogload said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    LOL

They're meant to be hard to restring... 
    Not really. Just a bit longer.

The Rickenbacker 12 has a reputation for being a pain with it's 'awkward' tailpiece. However, this is easily remedied with a capo and a bit of common sense!
    I don't have any common sense. At least when it comes to anything mechanical. :))