Thinline project

What's Hot
Earlier this year I put together a thinline tele http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/AndyP335/Thinline project/Thinline0814.jpg and then demounted it again to paint the body...
"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited December 2014
    The hardware is basically Eldorado but with a (quality) gold tuner set (the brand will come to me) http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/AndyP335/Thinline project/Eldradotelehardware.jpg  
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    wow!

no pearloid tuning buttons?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    frankus said:
    no pearloid tuning buttons?
    You are right, especially as I have a (quirky) pearloid-type pickguard somewhere in my workshop, all ready to cut back.  Also I have not been able to gold plate the hardware as intended because I cannot get the neck pup cover off!

So if anyone wants to offer me a decent set of pearloid tuners, I am all ears...
    edited December 2014
    Anyway @sinbaadi has done the  paint job for me -using...wait for it...

Ronseal!
    edited December 2014
    Yes, that is a maple top and a mahogany body. 

Anyway. one of the reasons I wanted a thinline was  to generate some 335-style harmonic feedback from a tele.  Sadly instead what I am getting is some nasty squeaking :( 

Any suggestions from the pickup experts ? 
    Hang-on lets fire up the @TheGuitarWeasil sign...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, I've got some @TheGuitarWeasel pups unused, wondering if I might swap in, but same problem, can't get the neck pup out...
    ah ... mispell - I am a plonker :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10563
    tFB Trader
    You need to 'unpot' a tele neck pickup to safely remove the cover. Un-solder the 'earth link' wire, straighten the mounting tags then heat the pickup using a hairdryer to melt the wax that is locking the cover on. Otherwise send it to me ... and I'll soak it in a potting bath and do a cover swap for you.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks as always for the offer - may take you up on it down the line.  However, is changing out the pickup going to help with the squeaking issue ?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Not sure a cover swap is what @Fusionista had in mind ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    edited December 2014
    I think what Ash is saying is that the engraved cover needs to be earthed and potted when it's fitted.

if the cover has been put over an existing pickup that may be the issue (but I might be misunderstanding Ash)
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1307
    Just wanted to say it has been a great pleasure doing this for Andy, and a real privilege to work with what is obviously a great guitar in the making.  I'm no professional by any standards, and I made that as clear as possible from day one, but Andy has been a real gent, very patient, and never made me worry too much that he's expecting more than I can deliver.

I've learnt a lot about the process, and most importantly I've learnt that it's so much more worthwhile putting in the time and effort when the wood is as beautiful as the maple and mahogany on Andy's guitar.  I won't be buying another cheapo kit guitar as I had previously intended. 
  • Anyway @sinbaadi has done the  paint job for me -using...wait for it...

Ronseal!

That's my boy! ;)
    edited December 2014
    Haha, thanks to @Andyjr1515 too :)
    edited December 2014
    Decided when I re-build it this weekend I will sub the gold Gotoh 510's for a set  of these

edited December 2014
    Tuners still not arrived, couldn't wait. Crap photo will do another when they do.  Replaced the bridge pup with Oil City Wapping Wharf 'Custom' from  @TheGuitarWeasel  
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Looks great - I do love that engraved hardware. Everything works together, nice choices. Looking forward to the "proper" photos though. :)
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Beautiful. Really love the finish by @sinbaadi. Is it ronseal over ink? Would you mind if I asked which ink you used, please?
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

Looking good Andy :)

@dchwhite. http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product-type/dyes
    The blue is the water based dye, red is a solvent one because of the grain filler. Many many thin coats of ronseal hard glaze over the top. I did experiment with the tinting the ronseal red, since it is a solvent based dye, and I think it would work quite well, but given how dark the mahogany is, for Andy's guitar it would have been hard to notice.