Bridge doctor type remedies...what's the best?

What's Hot
I have a Tanglewood TW47 which is my keeper guitar.

I wan't it to last and have been doing a bit of reading about the JLD Bridge Doctor. I have also read that a number of manufacturers are fitting these from new.

Is the JLD the best? The patent has run out on the JLD and there are other variations on the same theme. Are there other more improved versions?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I just ordered one from Stewmac.com. I may have a go at fitting it myself.
  • I am having one fitted to an old acoustic in an attempt to resurrect it. I'm leaving it to the bloke who takes care of my guitars. He told me that there is a company that fits them from new. Can't remember who though
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    I am having one fitted to an old acoustic in an attempt to resurrect it. I'm leaving it to the bloke who takes care of my guitars. He told me that there is a company that fits them from new. Can't remember who though
    Larrivee.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    Breedlove.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My mistake, sorry. Breedlove and Larrivee are my two desired guitars and I picked the wrong one!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Not sure why you'd want to fit one to a guitar that doesn't need it.

I don't agree with the claim for improving sustain and tone, having once removed one from an old Martin (the owner had bought it like that, but didn't think it was necessary) and having the tone and volume improve dramatically.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Not sure why you'd want to fit one to a guitar that doesn't need it.

I don't agree with the claim for improving sustain and tone, having once removed one from an old Martin (the owner had bought it like that, but didn't think it was necessary) and having the tone and volume improve dramatically.
    The early stages of bellying are becoming apparent. About three weeks ago, I noticed that the action was very slightly high and took a look at the body profile and it's not flat and the bridge is very slightly canted forward.

Fitting a Bridge Doctor at this stage will quickly remedy any mild fault rather than leaving it until later. 

I have hit a number of forums and sites. The general consensus is that it certainly cures the problem that it is designed to solve. Additionally, there are reports ranging from those that didn't notice a change in tone to those that claim that their guitars have never played so well. Many claim that the BD adds bass. For £22 it's an easy decision to make. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    I agree it could be a good idea if the guitar has started to belly already.

I don't doubt that it makes the guitars play better - that's the whole point. What I doubt is that it improves the tone or sustain - it inevitably inhibits the movement of the top to some extent, and the idea of transferring vibration to the endblock - the part of the guitar least likely to have anything to do with the tone - is tenuous at best.

Removing the BD from that old D-35 noticeably increased the volume and improved the tone, particularly the bass response - at the expense of a much higher action, so it is possible that the two were related... since a higher action can do those things anyway. But I don't think it was just that, the sound just seemed less 'restricted' without it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GruGru Frets: 339
    Fitting a bridge doctor to my old accoustic transformed it from high action and dead sound to playable and lively again. Whilst fitting the bridge doctor I also found one of the braces had split. I can't actually remember if I fixed the brace or not.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited December 2014
    I have recently fetched my old Saxon acoustic from having it's JLD device fitted. Tone and sustain are improved :)

After finger picking for a while I tried the plectrum. When I hit the strings hard with the plectrum, there is a bit of a rattle, similar to the one that made me realise the guitar was bellying to start with, but nowhere near as bad. You wouldn't notice it with fingerpicking 'cos you'd never hit it that hard with your fingers. AFAIK the JLD has a tightening screw on it. Should that be tightened up a little more, or should I accept that there could be other parts inside the guitar that have come loose which the JLD cannot cure, and save it for fingerpicking only?

EDIT in my case the soundtable had definitely parted company with the brace that goes across the body, under the bridge. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4196
    edited December 2014
    Just a little interjection to say, as it hasn't come up yet, that in and of itself bellying is absolutely fine. Norman Blake has been quoted as saying "never trust a Martin without a belly" because presumably it indicates an over-braced top.

If the action can be lowered at the bridge to compensate for the belly, without losing too much break angle then problem solved.

If lowering the action to where it needs to be would lose too much break angle, and the guitar wasn't valuable enough to warrant a neck reset then I guess one of these devices could be the ticket.

Interesting that Breedlove fit them from new. I suspect they use light bracing and the cost of sticking a bridge doctor in is less that the cost of having to do the occasional warranty neck reset if a guitar's top settles into a belly that can't be compensated for with a set up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    The device is now fitted. It's a great job with no obvious change in tone either way. It was very easy to fit too.
  • jamiejamie Frets: 3
    My old Trinity River had one, my Breedlove doesn't. I installed one in a 30 year old Washburn that had developed a belly and it certainly fixed the problem. The improved sound was probably due to the bridge and deck being flat again, I noticed no perceptible increase in sustain. It will take about a week after you installed it before it finally settles in but it really does make a difference in a guitar that needs it. I would never put one in a guitar that didn't need it, it would make little difference in an otherwise healthy guitar.
  • BTNMICBTNMIC Frets: 0

Just to let forum members know that we have started stocking the JLD Bridge Doctor in the UK (both the Screw Mount and Brass Pin Mount versions) and you can find both on our eBay shop at: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Better-Than-New-Drums/Accessories-/_i.html?_fsub=12133918010

We are also in the process of developing some bespoke strings to use in conjunction with the Brass Pin version of the product.

Paul Storrie

Better Than New Musical Instrument Company Ltd.

020 8252 1034 ext 201
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    BTNMIC;681199" said:
    Just to let forum members know that we have started stocking

the JLD Bridge Doctor in the UK

(both the Screw Mount and Brass Pin Mount versions) and you can find both on

our eBay shop at: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Better-Than-New-Drums/Accessories-/_i.html?_fsub=12133918010

We are also in the process of developing some bespoke

strings to use in conjunction with the Brass Pin version of the product.

Paul Storrie

Better Than New Musical

Instrument Company Ltd.

8252 1034 ext 201
    Many thanks for the heads up. It is certainly something I would use again if the need arose.

Just to highlight two points above. In my and one other case in this short thread, the cause was with a brace splitting and bracing coming lose.

On a more expensive guitar I would certainly have the problem fixed rather than a bandaid. In the case of my acoustic, it was all laminate and cost £85, thus didn't warrant the cost of a luthier looking at it and certainly not a neck reset.
    Long term opinion of my Bridge Doctor is that it's very stable, doesn't affect the tone as far as I can tell.

• milomilo Frets: 0
    I know this is an old thread but thought I would add my experience for those looking to remedy high action due to increase in belly. I have installed a couple and found that:

1)  they are excellent for stabilize guitar tops that are on the thin side or have light bracing.
    2) They do not lower action height due increase in belly, or if so only 0.20 mm or less at 12th fret.
    3) If installed correctly they do not adversly affect the guitars sound, they do seem to add a LITTLE more sustain.

Some advice when installing.
    1)Take strings off.
    2)Install Bridge Doctor so there is space between the dowel and the guitar end block.
    3)Adjust the screw so that the dowel JUST touches the end block. Then give 1/8th turn of the adjusting screw.

DO NOT keep tightening the screw hoping to lower the action, too much tension on the screw kills the sound of the guitar, dead as a brick, adjusted correctly seems to add a little sustain.

Overall I think they are excellent for guitars that need a little support because of thin tops and bracing. This is the reason that Breadlove use them in their guitars and I think they really work well for this purpose.

• bugilemanbugileman Frets: 56
    I have recently fetched my old Saxon acoustic from having it's JLD device fitted. Tone and sustain are improved :)

After finger picking for a while I tried the plectrum. When I hit the strings hard with the plectrum, there is a bit of a rattle, similar to the one that made me realise the guitar was bellying to start with, but nowhere near as bad. You wouldn't notice it with fingerpicking 'cos you'd never hit it that hard with your fingers. AFAIK the JLD has a tightening screw on it. Should that be tightened up a little more, or should I accept that there could be other parts inside the guitar that have come loose which the JLD cannot cure, and save it for fingerpicking only?

EDIT in my case the soundtable had definitely parted company with the brace that goes across the body, under the bridge. 
    Rattling to me sounds like a loose or cracked brace?