Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Erm fickle bunch aren't we

What's Hot
There was a discussion a few months ago about the pro's and cons of putting a fender sticker on a custom build in this thread about Ransoms http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/26337/how-to-sell-a-guitar-lesson-1-insult-the-customer/p1  and now @gassage is selling his Nash http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/29603/fs-bill-nash-relic-strat-very-early-model#latest which lo and behold has a fender sticker on and attracting great comments on how nice it is!

PS NO MALICOUS INTENT TOWARDS GASSAGE just making a general point

PPS If I had the money would buy it!  
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sshhh, we're all waiting to take advantage of more clearout bargains!!!! We can complain afterwards! :D
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I'll go first then.....

It's a fake!

It can only say Fender if it is one and if it isn't it is in breach of their copyright so illegal too!

(unless it is a genuine Fender neck on an aftermarket body and then it's a parts caster.

OK, happy now?  :)

Still looks nice though....  Just have to sort out your feelings on using other peoples trade marks on your own products.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    My personal opinion is that everything with a Fender logo (or any other company) on it should have been made by that company. Replicas etc are fine, but chucking a Fender logo on the headstock is more than a bit dodgy unless Fender made it (or at least the neck!) in the first place.

I think the Nash is probably better than anything that came out of a Fender factory anyway, so putting that Fender logo on there doesn't do it any favours either.

For what it's worth, if I had the cash I'd have the Nash and I don't think I'd remove the decal but I certainly wouldn't have built it or specced it that way.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I'm past caring about the issue now. Much more important things to worry about. Can't see Fender rockin up at my back door with a writ concerning a partsa I've nay intention of selling.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I am interested in the guitar, but the Fender decal is the one thing putting me off, if it said bill Nash I would have no hesitation buying, but the thought of having to explain what it is every time someone asks at a gig (and they would) would get tiresome, plus I agree with what is said above, if it was not made by Fender then it shouldn't really have a fender decal, if it said bill Nash i would respect it alot more than I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Erm if it's got a Fender sticker on it you can't sell it on here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    mrchi said:
    I am interested in the guitar, but the Fender decal is the one thing putting me off, if it said bill Nash I would have no hesitation buying, but the thought of having to explain what it is every time someone asks at a gig (and they would) would get tiresome, plus I agree with what is said above, if it was not made by Fender then it shouldn't really have a fender decal, if it said bill Nash i would respect it alot more than I do.
    I think it would make quite a statement if you literally cross out the Fender Logo with a Sharpie !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • and here we go again...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    and here we go again...
    Wis'd.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LOL'd
  • (..Hoping for a free wow fret) :)
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Boss, surely that only applies if one's trying to be a snidey git and not declaring? @Gassage is being nothing if not 'above board'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27497
    edited December 2014
    Richardj said:
    It can only say Fender if it is one and if it isn't it is in breach of their copyright so illegal too!

(unless it is a genuine Fender neck on an aftermarket body and then it's a parts caster.
    I thought that the Bill Nash stuff was partsocasters - his value add being his "finishing".  In which case, it's entirely possible that it IS a genuine Fender neck ...

TTony said:
    its entirely possible that it IS a genuine Fender neck

@Gassage can probably bring this discussion to a prompt close!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    (..Hoping for a free wow fret) :)
    Nah, ye can fck off, you've more numbers than me fella  ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbay;445844" said:
    Fuggit.
    TTony;445853" said:
    Richardj said:

I thought that the Bill Nash stuff was partsocasters - his value add being his "finishing".  In which case, it's entirely possible that it IS a genuine Fender neck ...

monquixote said:

TTony said:

I always thought Nash used licensed bits :) hence all above board.
    guitarfishbay;445844" said:
    Fuggit.
    TTony;445853" said:
    Richardj said:

monquixote said:

TTony said:

I always thought Nash used licensed bits :) hence all above board.

You gave a free Wow? 

Whore  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    edited December 2014
    jd0272 said:
    Boss, surely that only applies if one's trying to be a snidey git and not declaring? @Gassage is being nothing if not 'above board'.
    No, because it's illegal to sell anything pretending to be something it's not - full disclosure at the point of this sale doesn't mean that the next guy won't get stiffed. This isn't just a rule we made up; it's UK law.

In any case...yes, to my knowledge Bill Nash uses only licensed parts in his builds, so - legally speaking - at its core this is a Fender that's been worked over.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    That's a totally different kettle of fish then.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited December 2014
    To be fair the finish looks amazing it really does, and tbh the legality part is not a prob to me (I feel Fender are not the same company as they used to be so are only an official copier in my eyes) it's again the fact that it takes away from the work that bill Nash does, and having to explain what it is and why it's not a fender to every guitar geek who asks would put me off........
    But then again these sort of things should really be a non issue, I shouldn't be bothered by how it looks or what name is on it I should be bothered by tone craftsmanship and playability.
    If someone slapped a Honda badge on my yamaha r6 i wouldn't give a toss as it would still ride and go as quick as an r6, so why do I see it so differently with guitars!? My life would be so much easier as I could buy a £800 guitar and be happy but it's not like that is it :-)
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    In any case...yes, to my knowledge Bill Nash uses only licensed parts in his builds, so - legally speaking - at its core this is a Fender that's been worked over.
    Meanwhile, in a far, far away thread from another galaxy:
    I have an email somewhere from Fender's own legal team.

A guitar, made from official fender parts (everything - necks, pickups, wiring, pots etc etc all bought from Fender) is still not a Fender guitar. It is a guitar assembled from Fender parts.

That is the proper state of the law.

http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/395003/#Comment_395003

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom