Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gilmour - great live moments trib thread

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    Could someone tab that lick in CNumb Live 8 22.20 onwards?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah the Live 8 set was exceptionally good and I actually forgot about that.   Them bends do particularly stick in my mind to.  Was going through a really shit time at the time of Live 8 and ended up stuck in front of the box watching the entirety of the whole mixed affair and then balling my eyes out like a dumped teenager when they came on.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Also- this- Cnumb on a Gretsch, no delay.

Great tone.

• Gassage said:
    In C Numb and OTTA the trem control is frightening.
    That's one of the things with Gilmour.  I'm love trem technique and it is for that reason that a strat is MY guitar.  I have spent years incorporating different variants into my playing and then when I see someone just going wobble-wobble-wobble on the trem arm it puts me right off.  My favourite aspect of the guitar is the amount of ways you can approach the same note.  Rather than use a trem arm as another way of approaching notes, with the vast amount of players you see it becomes like a fall back trick or a way of finishing a phrase. 
    I completely agree with you regarding people using vibrato systems. Jazzmaster/Jag players are the worst. 9.9 times out of 10 its always a shity chord progression with a little vibrato flutter on the last chord. I hate this people. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    There is a little trick to the Gilmour trem set up - 3 springs, custom strings, short arm and 1/8 tone pull up

• For me, the Pulse version of the C Numb solo will never be bettered. It's note choice in the most perfect form. I'm all for fast solos and technical wizardry, but that performance ticks every box for me.

I've listened to it probably more times than any other single solo. Sublime.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5164
    Yep I use the Gilmour 3 springs in triangle, Gilmour strings but prefer 64 callaham length arm 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5164
    @Gassage
    Can you recommend some Gilmour gear on a budget?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    Here my last- go to 18:35 for the bluesy outro-orgasmic Do listen

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My Favourite performance is from Earls Court 1980, The Wall.

They are all on fire especially Gilmour. The digital remastered album is available, it's called 'Is there anybody out there'.
    It came with a book that explains how the original show was put together from the live sound to the actual construction and engineering behind the actual wall, with a really nice piece by Phil Taylor who says that while David was stood atop the wall playing the solo from Comfortably Numb, the platform he was stood on was so precarious that Taylor had to stand on a lower platform holding his ankles.
    They had over 100 'Out's' from the stage to the desk and honestly when i listen to it, it's just alive with energy. SO much more enjoyable than the polished studio version of 'The Wall'. His playing is nigh on perfect and his sound, considering he was still using the Black Strat is about as perfect as i've ever heard any strat - very different to the Red Strat sound on 'Pulse' (Obviously due to EMG's but i can see why he eventually had the Black Strat recommissioned for the 'On an Island ' Tour - it's so much more natural sounding).

There is little or no footage of these shows and what i have found has been terrible sound quality but if you can get hold of a copy of this performance, it is to my mind and ears, Gilmour and indeed Floyd at their very best.
    What i personally love about this show is that by the time it came around, Richard Wright had already been 'Sacked' but insisted on and agreed to playing all the live shows as it was him that wrote all the piano / keyboard parts and a lot of the input in a lot of the songs. When you listen to this recording from Earls Court, you can REALLY hear him musically sticking two fingers up to Roger Waters because he plays his bloody heart out, especially on tracks like 'Nobody Home'..........it's almost orchestral.

David Gilmour has provided a soundtrack to all but the first 8 years of my life and in all honesty i can;t think of a single guitarist that has had more of an impact on me or who's music has meant more to me.

If he likes to smoke a joint then good for him, it certainly doesn't affect his playing and if it weren't for the pressures of the life i have to live these days, i would be joining him and lighting one up myself.
    tone1 said:
    @Gassage

Yes-ask away- I'm good at this

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Budget, and existing gear ?

• tone1 said:
    @Gassage
    Dude, you simply can't talk to Gassage about budget.  It's like talking to a Rabbi about pork joints.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh era too

edited December 2014
    I'll do it anyway Cheap Cs2 Rat Ts9 Zcat qmod Carbon copy Dd2 More dosh Demeter comp Skreddy lunar Euphoria Tc scf T. Rex replica or prov chrono. If you need a vibe the bbe is great as is voodoo lab

Amp -sf twin reverb or at a push blues deluxe. Deluxe reverb fab too

• I still think single coils and a hiwatt give you so much of gilmour's sound.

but sadly thats not so cheap :-(
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Twin is very good

Oh the black strat bridge pup- the uber rare SSL1C made by Seymour. I know where to get them but they only made 150. It's sublime

• Gassage said:
    Twin is very good
    I agree, I have 2 :-D

but in terms of a beautiful, almost sparkly amp with lush tones, Hiwatt Custom > Fender Twin

and I say that as a former die hard fender clean fan boy.