Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amp lifting

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Just took my blackstar down to the car. The hardest part was lifting it off the ground, from there I carried it with two hands in front of my chest and then used the trolley. I know you're supposed to lift with your legs but I can't help but feel that for that initial lift off the ground I'm not doing my back any favours. Tips?
    Get a lighter amp.

You sound like you are about to cripple yourself and it is honestly not worth it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e said:
    You can't feasibly squat a wide amp off the ground if you're holding the side handles, cos your knees are against it......you can only do it by bending your back and it's not good.........better to get a second pair of hands
    Haven't read the whole thread but this seems the best bit of advice so far. Got some help last night and it made a world of difference. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Voxman;451431" said:
    Just a thought...shouldn't this thread be best in the amp forum?
    There is already a thread in 'Amps' about how hard @thomasross20 finds it to lift his amp....

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/29573/amplifier-mistake-blackstar/p1

I thought this was maybe worthwhile of a separate thread but maybe merge?

Neil, I'm still in two minds about it. I might end up getting head & cab, just need to decide yes or no on that point..!
  • It's much harder to lift an amp over the lip of a boot, than to put it straight into an estate too. Maybe avoid this by sticking it on the back seat.

In fact after years of lugging tons of gear around, up and down stairs and into vans. The only time I ever had something go in my back was leaning over to put my baby daughter in her cot.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    paulmapp8306 said:

The guide (I believe) is up to 15Kg is fine for one person.  Anything over that up to 35 Kg is really a two person lift (or multi person lift).  Anything over 35Kg shouldnt be lifted manually - but lifting aids should be used. 
    lol

Is this serious? What have we become…?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• you can get those dog things for car boots, like this http://www.groomers-online.com/shopimages/products/extras/deluxe-car-boot-cover.jpg Not exactly the same thing but if you are wrestling something over a car boot lid stops you scratching up the car.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited December 2014
    Voxman said:
    Just a thought...shouldn't this thread be best in the amp forum?
    I dunno ... have you ever played a 70s Les Paul Custom?
    ;)

ICBM said:
    paulmapp8306 said:

The guide (I believe) is up to 15Kg is fine for one person.  Anything over that up to 35 Kg is really a two person lift (or multi person lift).  Anything over 35Kg shouldnt be lifted manually - but lifting aids should be used. 
    lol

Is this serious? What have we become…?
    Very litigious, it would seem.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• There's no doubt about it now. I feel the pain in my lower back returning after just lugging my Blackstar back up the stairs and into the flat. I have to get something lighter - I'm just not built to be lugging heavy things around and I think I'm doing damage.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Zt plus small, light 1x12 and a bunch of nice pedals. Sorted
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I'll check that out. Other recommendation I'm getting is a Victory head... and since I like Blackstar, a Blackstar head (the less valves the better IMO!). 

Good gig last night :). Shame I couldn't hang around for the second set, but you played well and the amp sounded good - was that just clean with the pedals for dirt?

Either way an ID60 and a 1x12" (either the combo or a head and cab) would be plenty loud enough, going by that - you weren't even remotely pushing it. The combo can't be much more than half the weight of the 260, since it's basically got half as much in it! A head and cab would be slightly more in total, but split into two would probably feel even lighter.

I have realised one thing though… you're a tall chap, and my lack of height might (surprisingly, until I thought about it!) make it easier for me to lift heavy things without so much risk to my back - I can probably bend down to amp-handle height much more easily. The handle on something like a Fender Twin isn't actually a lot below my hand height when I'm standing next to it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Buy a smaller amp and a better PA ! ;)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited December 2014
    1nten5e said:
    .....better to get a second pair of hands
    THIS.
    Wisdom awarded.

If it's a struggle then it's not worth struggling with (or alternatively you're too proud/ in a hurry/ to admit it's a struggle). 
    Get a second pair of hands; don't stuff up your back.  Or you'll end up seeing a physio for loads of treatment which will cost you a fortune...

However... my accountant says you are all pussies and that lunking Ampeg 8*10's single-handed is the only way to show just how rock n roll you are.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, ICBM!
    The sound was clean channel + pedals, riot reloaded for distortion.

Yeah, I have to bend quite a bit to get down to the amp!

Head and cab sounds good. Will check all the blackstar options.
    Grunfeld said:
    However... my accountant says you are all pussies and that lunking Ampeg 8*10's single-handed is the only way to show just how rock n roll you are.
    They're actually not too bad if you plan ahead and only move them on the flat by yourself. The built-in trolley makes it pretty easy to push them, and they're so tall that getting them into a car is OK, provided there's no rear lip - just tip it in and slide it. Stairs… no. Minimum of two people, and even then they're heavy.

The Mesa Powerhouse cab I had was far worse, even though lighter. It went out of the house twice… once to a band practice, then once when I got rid of it having decided that was the only option! The size of a large fridge, 135lbs, no tilt-back wheels, and the worst side handles ever designed - almost guaranteed to break your wrists.

• Our bassist has an Ampeg SVT II head and it is comically heavy. It is 4U rack mounted so when you lift it you dont expect it to weigh EIGHTY POUNDS. No idea what's in there, depleted uranium transformer cores or something. I think the first time I lifted it off the top of the cab I had to check it wasn't fastened on! That's the price you pay for the growl.

FWIW my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is loud and can actually be easily carried with the top handle.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • I used to work with a bass player who had an SVT/8x10 set up. It gave the best bass sound I've ever heard - effortless power and warmth.

It is one of those things which fully justifies its reputation. A true classic.
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    I find it easier to sling stuff like that over my shoulder - like you say; lifting from squat can be awkward as knees interfere... With something relatively small but too wide to throw my arms around comfortably, I'll put it on it's end, squat down, drop it onto my shoulder and squat up from there supporting it with both hands... Head is flightcased; that's a prime example as it's too bloody wide to lift comfortably!
    Obviously not an option if it's really bloody heavy though :D
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    My old singer in a previous band pulled muscle in his arse lifting my '70s Marshall JMP 2x12 into the back of his car.

I laughed a hell of a lot.

Had previously warned him that it had its own gravitational field, but he wouldn't listen.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom