Trinity exams

daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684

Does anyone have any expeience of the Trinity guitar grade exams? One of the complaints I get about Rockschool (particulalry from kids) is the somewhat cheesy original pieces, whereas the Trinity has known songs.Could be a better bet but wated to get some first hand advice. Anyone?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Call them cheesy if you like but they are a good general purpose introduction to a genre (and the grade 4 blues piece is a lovely bit of music in its own right), and they always have a subtle twist which makes you work at it instead of just playing what you think comes naturally.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Call them cheesy if you like but they are a good general purpose introduction to a genre (and the grade 4 blues piece is a lovely bit of music in its own right), and they always have a subtle twist which makes you work at it instead of just playing what you think comes naturally.
    Is this the Rockschool pieces?
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited September 2013
    daveyh said:
    Call them cheesy if you like but they are a good general purpose introduction to a genre (and the grade 4 blues piece is a lovely bit of music in its own right), and they always have a subtle twist which makes you work at it instead of just playing what you think comes naturally.
    Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear

edit. the RS pieces are always good for jamming over as well. I tell pupils at grade n to revisit the stuff at grade n-1 and jam their own stuff over it. It helps with their improv. I'm not sure, but would that be so easy with the "known songs"?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    daveyh said:
    Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear

edit. the RS pieces are always good for jamming over as well. I tell pupils at grade n to revisit the stuff at grade n-1 and jam their own stuff over it. It helps with their improv. I'm not sure, but would that be so easy with the "known songs"?
    I'd say probably not, but I'm mostly looking for something to inspire the younger ages a little more.