Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who uses a slide?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22978
    edited December 2014
    So what would ou all recomend for someone with sausage fingers?

A wider nut - maybe a modified 12-string neck?

Sorry.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Most local shops have a selection, try one that feels right for you, no hard and fast rules.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5419
    edited December 2014
    Working in a lab, I get suitable glass sample bottles regularly, but find they can get sweaty. I generally use a Joe Perry Boneyard ceramic. It's VERY thick, but plays great- I have an ancient acoustic adapted specifically for slide.
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340

Did someone say slide? Lance does! FF to 2:30 for awesome sauce!

http://youtu.be/0rJumySTfuc?t=2m17s

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know one of the peeps behind www.diamondbottlenecks.com and he said he had got me something made of glass for my birthday.

Turned out to be a bottle of wine. :o3 Anyway, you can't get better than one of those for a slide!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I much prefer glass.  But don't get a clear glass one - I can never find mine.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    Zodiac51 said:

Did someone say slide? Lance does! FF to 2:30 for awesome sauce!

Enjoyed that! Great playing and tasty tones. 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    edited December 2014
    I try every now and then but haven't the patience or time to really get it...I need to learn how to play the thing normally first! I've had metal and glass slides, the glass is much more comfortable for me but like others have said try a few out. They're relatively inexpensive anyway so if you find one doesn't suit then you an just get another.

I'd love to be able to do this:

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    edited December 2014
    I'm shit at playing slide but find playing live with an EVH half stack and a PRS singlecut glass seems to work best for me -but I keep stomping on em and braking em when they rattle off the top of the amp and land on the floor-so glass for playing and brass for stomping on!
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I use Jim Dunlop short brass slides, mostly in standard tuning although I occasionally drop the top string to D to give me 4 strings of open G at the top. Mostly little finger, sometimes 2nd finger when I want to angle across strings. Here's 12 bars of me soloing, suffering from the usual problems with tuning accuracy!

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited December 2014

I really like that Lance Keltner video.

I use a glass slide from Diamond Bottlenecks. I've had several from them, and the one I have now is the best. It's slightly tapered so it fits fairly snugly on my fourth finger, then I can still use the other three for other stuff. If you order from them it's best to be very specific about what you want, I've sent a couple back as they just haven't been right. For me, glass sounds good and is easier to handle than brass or steel. Don't put them on top of your amp while you're playing loud though, I lost a couple when they fell off because of the vibration and smashed..

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    Glass or brass.. There's a company on eBay that do hand cut slides very cheaply ie about £6 and the one I have is very good.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited December 2014
    mart said:
    /\

Ah, BUT - you really need to use a compressor on your slide to get that sust-a-a-a-a-a-ain.... weeeee!

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/snotmale/Webhosting/SlidewithCompression_zps191d8dc7.jpg
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Personally, glass on acoustic / resonator and metal or ceramic on electric (tend to find metal better with distortion, ceramic without) - and my glass ones too are from Diamond Bottlenecks, top guys who when I went to the workshop gave me nearly an hour trying out different glass types and sizes (and genuinely, there IS a difference in sound between different colours of glass! Not so much that you'd notice unless you were critically A/B-ing, but it's there nonetheless...)
  • Roland said:
    The type of slide you want depends on what you're going to play with it. Years ago I decided not to deviate from standard tuning, which limits my slide playing. I suppose I could change that decision, but I don't play enough slide to merit it. I've got three different slides for different purposes. Heavy brass for the lower strings, and when using overdrive. A light weight, short length chrome which I use just on the top two. Being a short length I can also play some chords whilst wearing it. Lastly I've got a glass slide, which has a sweeter tone, and suits cleaner tones.

My advice is to get several different slides and try them over a couple of weeks.
    This. If you've never played slide before you are going to want to try out various types. After YEARS of playing with my ring finger I've suddenly developed a penchant for using my middle digit (frees up the ring and pinky for playing).
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau