My never ending quest for a new guitar

Having sold my Yamaha Pacifica I am now *shock horror* down to one guitar, an ESP LTD M50, cheap and cheerful knock around.
I was considering n ibanez for a slimmer neck profile then tried a PRS Santana SE in my local shop which felt nicely balanced even though the neck wasn't what I was looking for.
Scouring through eBay brings up loads of different models for PRS nd it's become a bit confusing. So budget £400, which models to look for and a rough price would be useful. Local shop has an emerald green Custom 22 SE for £349 but other than that I'm stumped on prices.
If only Santa had read my list.....
Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Cu22 and cu24 have different neck profiles, the 24 is more ibanez like the 22 fatter
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    @hubobulous has a very nice Ibanez RG for sale on here for £150. Real bargain

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• grungebob;456126" said:
    Cu22 and cu24 have different neck profiles, the 24 is more ibanez like the 22 fatter
    Thanks, compared to an Epi LP the PRS felt a bit lighter and better balanced, not sure what it is with Epi but something just doesn't gel.
    FelineGuitars;456137" said:
    @hubobulous has a very nice Ibanez RG for sale on here for £150. Real bargain
    Damn right, if I hadn't picked up the PRS that would have been a top candidate.
    With PRS I'm a bit clueless about the range, different signature models etc so a small minefield if going down the eBay route.

This is one of the 2 in the shop

http://www.theguitarworkshoponline.co.uk/prs-se-custom-22-hardtail-electric-guitar-emerald-green-5392-p.asp

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Epi's seem to fall into 2 catagories, awesome, or not right. The one I had was awesome, just me and Les Paul's don't really get on. It could be that with you.

I'd be seriously looking at the £150 RG, mine's awesome, well worth the more dollar I paid a few years ago.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l;456211" said:
    Epi's seem to fall into 2 catagories, awesome, or not right. The one I had was awesome, just me and Les Paul's don't really get on. It could be that with you.I'd be seriously looking at the £150 RG, mine's awesome, well worth the more dollar I paid a few years ago.
    The RG is nice but a bit pointy hence the new love for PRS

I get what you're saying.

I did once play a £3000 PRS, and hated it, totally not for me. Yet my ex-teacher who's it was absolutely loved it.

A friend had an SE which felt great to play.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• No idea if the YouTube video works as I'm on my phone and it's not a plug for said company but it really explained a lot for me

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited December 2014
    The se cu 22/24/tremonti all have 25"scale, the se tremonti and cu22 have the wide fat neck and the 24has wide thin (ibanez wizard3 like). The single cuts also have wide fat as do most of the soapbars. The 245 singlecut has 24.5" scale length not sure what the newer Santana model has(there's Been 3 different models). All have 10" radius boards. Typically all 22 fret models have hardtail and 24's have trems. Newer model cu22/24's have bird inlays and a beveled top older models have dots and a flat top.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    mike_l said:

I did once play a £3000 PRS, and hated it, totally not for me. Yet my ex-teacher who's it was absolutely loved it.

There are a LOT of £3,000 PRS, the model is as important if not more than the price.  Do you remember which ones you liked and which one you hated?
  • grungebob said:
    The se cu 22/24/tremonti all have 25"scale, the se tremonti and cu22 have the wide fat neck and the 24has wide thin (ibanez wizard3 like). The single cuts also have wide fat as do most of the soapbars. The 245 singlecut has 24.5" scale length not sure what the newer Santana model has(there's Been 3 different models). All have 10" radius boards. Typically all 22 fret models have hardtail and 24's have trems. Newer model cu22/24's have bird inlays and a beveled top older models have dots and a flat top.
    Im slowly getting a grip now, as in the video they explain SE 245 means 24.5" scale etc. Im waiting for a flood of used stuff to come on eBay which doesnt seem to be happening or its miles away from me and collection only. Think my local shop opens up again tomorrow so I'll be back in with a bit more knowledge to take a look at the 2 in there.

mike_l said:

There are a LOT of £3,000 PRS, the model is as important if not more than the price.  Do you remember which ones you liked and which one you hated?

I much preferred the singlecut SE, to the Birds inlayed expensive one.

Having said that I'm not really a PRS fan, so I'll not be spending any of my hard-earned there in the near future.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    edited December 2014
    mike_l said:
    mike_l said:

I much preferred the singlecut SE, to the Birds inlayed expensive one.

Having said that I'm not really a PRS fan, so I'll not be spending any of my hard-earned there in the near future.

The birds I can give or take, as with their 10-top, once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I love how resonant they are, easy to play, the belly cut and overall balance of the guitar.

My "£3,000" PRS is a single cut with no birds either :)