Let's Talk Germania

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854

I now have my dream rig, but when I had an old Marshall Valvestate, I used to want to acheive certain tones. I didn't realise what a good tube amp sounded like back then, I knew literally nothing about gear back then.

Although I am still ecstatic with my new rig I just had a GAS memory from when I was tonaly befuddled.

Thing is, I realise I still want one of these now, I might even NEED one for certain sounds/situations I have in mind.

Quick rundown of current rig:

I have the Bogner Goldfinger 45 Head and Cab(Closed Back) and for addition OD options on the Pedalboard I have both Bogner Red and Blue Ecstasy Pedals and a VFE Scream, which is kind of TS type pedal. I don't know how this rig sits in a live mix because I don't gig YET.

I remember with my old cack set up of seeing demos for Treble Boosters and thinking "Yes, this is the answer to my cack tone" when all along it was mostly down to having a 20 year old Solid State Amp and not knowing any other thing.

I saw a demo from Brian May using his Treble Booster and he did an A/B with his Vox AC30 and the difference was very noticable.

Anyhow, I don't GAS often and have attained most of my "Tone Chasing" needs but I love this particular pedal, only thing is they don't seem too available and the ones I find on Google searches look the same but have different colour casings ie, they never look the same as the one in the vid even though they seem to have the same functions, just seems unusual.

Were they a limited run or Something?

Next Question. One of the tones in question that mysteriously would not come from my MV SS Amp at the time was the tone in the opening chuggy riff to this song you all know.

Am I a million miles out with my ears here with this tone? Do any of you use T.B's and have they revolutioised your cutting through the mix? Is that pedal much different from, say, a Fulltone OCD. I guess Germanium transistors are the clue, lol.

Sorry about the lengthy post but just still a bit confused on certain aspects of gear and tone acheivement.

Thanks guys.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'm no expert but I think there is a certain sound to germanium transistor pedals that is common to both treble boosters and fuzzes.  I think you're on the right track and the sound is very different from say an OCD. Before you buy, however, there are a number of considerations: 
    1. The line up of the band.  You might choose a fuzz over a treble booster if you are the only electric guitar player for example, as it will be easier to cut through.
    2. How well it plays with you amp and other pedals. I've got both an analog man treble germanium treble boost and a fuzzy lady germanium fuzz, both of which I love to bits and sound godly. Yet Neither are on my gigging board.  The tb because of reason 1 - I don't need it to cut through, and the fuzz because it sometimes gets moody and doesn't play nicely with other pedals or if I end up using a borrowed amp.

My favorite treble booster sound (which may not be a tb boost at all!) is the solo from bright eyes' 'devil in the details'.  Ymmv!

• @midiglitch

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know what band mix I will end up in, if ever, or even if I will have problems cutting through, but regardless I really need to fulfill my GAS requirements and the Fuzz/Treble Boost has been something I have been pondering on for a bit.

Not sure which I want but will have to check out the demos of the ones you mentioned.

Interesting you said the Fuzz would cut through easier than the T.B or did I misunderstand that?

I know it's hard to tell but do you think the opening riff of "Blockbuster" above is a TB, it has a great crisp, crunchy punch too it, but also sounds a bit "Fuzzy" in places too?

As for the Bright Eyes track, it was hard to tell really, couldn't make my mind up.

:)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Before you buy, however, there are a number of considerations: 
    1. The line up of the band.  You might choose a fuzz over a treble booster if you are the only electric guitar player for example, as it will be easier to cut through.

This is so true. I went from being the lead guitarist in a two-guitar band to the sole guitarist in the band - with the same drummer and bassist, even - and the sounds I'd used before which cut through so well and fitted perfectly with the other guitar suddenly became uselessly thin and lacking in sustain, so I had to rebuild my entire sound from scratch almost.

midiglitch said:

My favorite treble booster sound (which may not be a tb boost at all!) is the solo from bright eyes' 'devil in the details'.  Ymmv!

I'm not sure - it's barely fuzzed at all and might be amp breakup pushed by a boost, but it's hard to tell. (That's another Bright Eyes album I'll have to get by the way! Just have Lifted and Wide Awake at the moment. Hadn't heard that song before.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Look into the EHX germanium muff thing. Enormous, but it's a fuzz od circuit that boosts and adds a hint of dirt followed by a germanium distortion which has plenty of fuzzy goodness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Look into the EHX germanium muff thing. Enormous, but it's a fuzz od circuit that boosts and adds a hint of dirt followed by a germanium distortion which has plenty of fuzzy goodness.
  • (That's another Bright Eyes album I'll have to get by the way! Just have Lifted and Wide Awake at the moment. Hadn't heard that song before.)

Amazing album. Of all the music I've ever heard in my entire life that's the one that speaks to me the most. It's the album I wish I had written!
  • @midiglitch

Thanks for your reply.

I don't know what band mix I will end up in, if ever, or even if I will have problems cutting through, but regardless I really need to fulfill my GAS requirements and the Fuzz/Treble Boost has been something I have been pondering on for a bit.

Not sure which I want but will have to check out the demos of the ones you mentioned.

Interesting you said the Fuzz would cut through easier than the T.B or did I misunderstand that?

I know it's hard to tell but do you think the opening riff of "Blockbuster" above is a TB, it has a great crisp, crunchy punch too it, but also sounds a bit "Fuzzy" in places too?

As for the Bright Eyes track, it was hard to tell really, couldn't make my mind up.

:)

Sorry, I meant that you might not need the cut of a treble boost if you are the sole guitarist. Between the two the treble boost will definitely cut more and is the ticket if you need to cut through another electric guitar. As for blockbuster, I'm really not sure. I think you could get close to that sound in a number of ways. For the exact recipe I think you'd need to look into what gear they were using at that time. If you're not playing in a live situation I think a fuzz might be a better starting point because treble boosters generally make things very loud!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @midiglitch  ; Ahh, I see waht you mean, thanks.

@ThePrettyDamned  ; Nice one, I'll check it out :-)