Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What makes an audience take note of your band?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ^^^ If ever a comment needed pic's...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoANjAmMoANjAm Frets: 12
    So basically you guys could play like wank and no one would notice?!

Genius. I'll run it past our singer, see what he reckons to it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    edited January 2015
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    edited January 2015
    MoANjAm said:
    So basically you guys could play like wank and no one would notice?!

Genius. I'll run it past our singer, see what he reckons to it...
    We were a tight band, got loads of gigs and plenty of functions etc however, there were plenty of drunk blokes in pubs who would clock her and quite happily stand there whilst nursing their pint and staring at her tits for the rest of the night. 

Every little helps as Tesco always say :D

That band died 3 years ago as I did all the work and basically had enough of doing the work and playing a set list that was very middle of the road so I jacked it in and joined a Sabbath tribute band instead. They never bothered trying to keep the lineup going, she doesn't play in a band anymore and the bassist and drummer are off doing different things as well. 

I'd still talk to your singer about having a tit job though :p
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Roland said:
    Your singer is a bit of a MILF Roland but definitely needs to lose the music stand, it's not a good look......
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    It really does come down to the singer, that's the focal point for most people watching (unless you're a fellow muso checking out what pedals the guitarist uses).

A charismatic front person is the difference between a band a perfectly good band and a great band.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    The covers band I'm in is not the last word in raw talent, slickness, and artistic ambition, we don't by any means suck at what we do (I at least wouldn't be doing it if I didn't think we were cutting it at some level) but we're aware of our limitations, work within them (while seeking to push them as hard as we can and extend them) and there are definitely bands on the local "circuit" who are technically "better" than us. 

We do however look, sound, and act like we enjoy what we're doing, enjoy doing it together, enjoy doing it for/with an audience, and generally give a damn about it[1]. This I believe is why we get more and better gigs (and more positive reaction from audiences) than some technically "better" bands who just roll up, plug in, and play the songs with no obvious sign of engagement with the audience, the material, or indeed in some cases each other...

[1] Because we actually do. Well duh...!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    fastboy said
    Your singer is a bit of a MILF Roland but definitely needs to lose the music stand, it's not a good look......
    As of January she is no longer with us
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I certainly agree with putting on a bit of a show. A lot of movement from the band is good pref supported by a lot of lights, lazers, smoke etc. People remember the bands that try a bit harder and put more into it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Danny1969 said:

People remember the bands that try a bit harder and put more into it. 
    I do wonder how Oasis made it. They always looked like they'd rather be somewhere else when on stage.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Danny1969 said:

I do wonder how Oasis made it. They always looked like they'd rather be somewhere else when on stage.

God yeah, they literally just stand there. Love the songs but so dull to watch
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Danny1969 said:
    Danny1969 said:

God yeah, they literally just stand there. Love the songs but so dull to watch
    This had a massive part to play I think! 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    But just standing there is cool to the right audience. The same audience would have treated you with disdain for trying to entertain them.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The really funny thing is that I can't stand Oasis, and it's because of the songs, Liam's voice and Noel's guitar playing… *not* because they didn't put on a show - I'm one of those who thinks that's cool and that leaping about putting on a 'show' is not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoANjAmMoANjAm Frets: 12
    Re: Oasis. How the hell can you stand still and play tunes like Slide Away or Acquiesce?