Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Critique your own band

What's Hot
Like the other thread what do people like about your band, what is the area you need to improve on most?

For mine, it's singers lack of repartee with audience and my lack of guitar ability to play more complex tunes. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Singer- sing the correct fckn words, to the correct song,  at the correct times.
    Singer- don't miss entire verses.
    Singer- be aware when you come in.
    Singer- be aware when not to come in ie; when there's two bstrd solo's not one.
    Singer- don't insist on tracks just cause "Your Lass" likes them and it'll get you a shag even though it's way out of your range ie; sounds horrible.

Drummer- stop dropping/letting go of yer sticks so they fly past me at dangerously close distances mid track.
    Drummer- keep the right fckn tempo.

Lead Guitarist- listen to me in rehearsal when I tell you 'we' are playing it wrong, even if it is in the correct key, it is being played wrong. Even IF 'we' have reconstructed the song to suit, it may still not be 'right' the way you insist on playing it. Just because you know more 'stuff' doesn't mean you know the 'right stuff'.
    Lead Guitarist- fast is not always 'good'.
    Lead Guitarist- if you must play fast, play in the right fckng key.
    Lead Guitarist- if you use digital, it will go wrong mid-gig, several times (it's ok, I'll cover...)
    Lead Guitarist- get a reliable tuner, stop bunking on mine.

Bassist- stop being so bloody talented.
    Bassist- stop fckng making me piss meself laughing mid-track when gigging.

Me- get the fckng clean/rawk levels sorted pre-gig.
    Me- get to the Dr's so I can resolve not being able to hear meself playing when gigging.

Aside from that, we are fckng Golden.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a long post ready here, but then it occurred to me that my band may actually end up in here at some point.

We're all aware of the issues (mostly), but I'm not sure they'd appreciate a public critique ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Lol I am reading this sat at the drift bar in Portsmouth, it's 20 minutes to show time and there's about 9 people here so mine would be :

Need to be able to attract more people to come see us on a shit cold Sunday Christmas night
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I had a long post ready here, but then it occurred to me that my band may actually end up in here at some point.

We're all aware of the issues (mostly), but I'm not sure they'd appreciate a public critique ;)
     They already know   ;)
  • Well as I'm solo...I'll speak to myself as if I'm a band

Vocalist - you need to learn to sing better. Projection is not the best and the only song you can really do high that people like is "Be your husband". Stand up more and talk to the audience, rather than hiding behind the guitar or piano - yes it might suit the act but doesn't help the projection or image of confidence!

Guitarist - don't forget to set the DI up to "post" not "pre" on your back up zoom g3. Have some lessons so that you might play in time, or at least close enough to call it jazz timing. Easy with the octave up.

Pianoist - easy with the chords where you hold the fifth then play the 2nd then 3rd underneath it like suspension to resolution. I know your classical piano teacher told you that's what they do in jazz but its not the only thing they do...

To the whole band - nobody everybody enjoys white stripes covers as much as you do....

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 363
    edited December 2014

Me:

Learn the chords, learn the big signature lead parts, learn the words, get an amp you can settle on for 5 minutes.

Drummer:

Bring another tom tom, one gets boring, get the tempos right in your head before counting us in too slow/too fast.

Bass:

You can sing harmonies but say you can't while playing bass, practice it so you can.

Keys:

Don't dress like a dork, smile occasionally.

Female singer:

Move more, entertain the crowd both during and between songs.

Koneguitarist knows all these people so keep shtum mate, I don't want to get kicked out just yet!

• Pretty much agree with you on those Paul, I am sure you will learn the chords to smoke on the water ..........eventually ;)
  • Pretty much agree with you on those Paul, I am sure you will learn the chords to smoke on the water ..........eventually ;)

Yes, I remember that stand in gig. It was also the one where you loved the Les Paul tone I got from my Mesa but it was actually my DG Stomp pedal DI'd. How we hear with our eyes sometimes eh? ;-)

• Yep especially as it was my Variax you were using!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    I'm really happy with my band ATM so I'd have minimal criticism. 

Vocalist - Great singer, great performer, but I'd like her to have more confidence in her high range. 
    Bass Player - Epic musician possibly more moving on stage and more confidence to solo 
    Drummer - Again top musician, but needs to relax a bit and not tighten up when he makes a mistake.

Me - Stop swapping your kit about and learn to get the best out of what you've got. Don't resort to "safe" solos when playing live. Don't sing so hard you blow your voice, learn to sing harmonies. 

I don't mind it being up here as I'd say it to their faces (and have).
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    First off the management have been utterly utterly remiss in getting any sort of gig for an age now.
    The singer clearly doesn't practice or learn the frickin lyrics, the bass player is staggeringly unimaginative and is constantly falling over the rhythm guitarist... the lead guitarist either plays nothing at all or gets lost in a blur and everyone else has to stop...

the drummer ... where to begin... I wish he knew.. keeping time would be good, setting a groove would be great..

I don't mind writing that here, I'm a one-man-band with a looper.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited December 2014
    Quick critique of the (on a break) cover band

Bone idle. Can sound awesome when match fit. Not often match fit. Drummer - too feckin loud.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

As I'm not in a band some slf criticism.

1. Learn more songs, including solo's.

2. Be more confident when playing out.

3. Learn the songs/parts properly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Group therapy this!!

Singer - when i say I'm setting the gain for soundcheck dont whisper into the fecking PA, and then belt out the first song in a big distorted mess
    Singer - if you play your poofy tanborine play it in time
    Singer - you can't read them on stage so lose the lyric sheets

Drummer - it is not necessary to hit your cymbals so hard they travel back in time
    Drummer - dont end every song with ker der boom.
    Drummer - learn the tempo of the songs we play......i know you hate some of them but try!!

Bass Player - smile a bit mate
    Bass Player - learn what the EQ knobs do on your amp - just cos you play bass dont neglect the mid and high knobs

Guitar (me) - your kemper is wonderful but nobody gives a fuk if your 78 marshall profile is better for the song than the 68 one.
    Guitar (me) - turn it down
    Guitar (me) - not every solo needs a wah pedal
    Guitar (me) - stop perving at the girls in the audience - you're not in steel panther

Whole band - learn to moderate the volume
    Whole band - your lightshow is awesome but perhaps a bit over the top for tiny venues
    Whole band - when you head outside for a fag after the show dont leave the haze machine on!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l said:

Question: why aren't you in a band yet? I'm curious :)

Anyway, #3's irrelevant when in a band, 'cos it doesn't need to be as perfect as you always think it does at home. #2 would come naturally after playing for a while. #1...can't help you there...
    <space for hire>
  • Drummer: tempo is YOUR dept, learn to click us in
    Bassist: you're awesome mate
    Singer/rhythm guitar: nothing wrong with how you sing & play, but as you're bandleader as well could you
    • stop offering to do gigs for nothing or a paltry sum?
    • take the 1970s stuff out of the set 'cos it doesn't sit well with the 1958-1962 pop in the rest of the set?
    • get your finger out and learn some Shadows number?
    Me: learn the songs instead of being dependent on chord charts
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I'm really happy with my band ATM so I'd have minimal criticism. 

Vocalist - Great singer, great performer, but I'd like her to have more confidence in her high range. 
    Bass Player - Epic musician possibly more moving on stage and more confidence to solo 
    Drummer - Again top musician, but needs to relax a bit and not tighten up when he makes a mistake.

Me - Stop swapping your kit about and learn to get the best out of what you've got. Don't resort to "safe" solos when playing live. Don't sing so hard you blow your voice, learn to sing harmonies. 

I don't mind it being up here as I'd say it to their faces (and have).
    But @monquixote, all you have to sing is "one, two", then the rest of the band goes " Woah, freakout!".  Stand back and enjoy the coolness you're exuding. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Basically we are rubbish. We don't play live. It would be difficult as I play guitar, bass, keyboards and drums for the band. I don't sing. We don't have a singer.
    David5150 said:
    Group therapy this!!

Singer - when i say I'm setting the gain for soundcheck dont whisper into the fecking PA, and then belt out the first song in a big distorted mess
    Singer - if you play your poofy tanborine play it in time
    Singer - you can't read them on stage so lose the lyric sheets

Drummer - it is not necessary to hit your cymbals so hard they travel back in time
    Drummer - dont end every song with ker der boom.
    Drummer - learn the tempo of the songs we play......i know you hate some of them but try!!

Bass Player - smile a bit mate
    Bass Player - learn what the EQ knobs do on your amp - just cos you play bass dont neglect the mid and high knobs

Guitar (me) - your kemper is wonderful but nobody gives a fuk if your 78 marshall profile is better for the song than the 68 one.
    Guitar (me) - turn it down
    Guitar (me) - not every solo needs a wah pedal
    Guitar (me) - stop perving at the girls in the audience - you're not in steel panther

Whole band - learn to moderate the volume
    Whole band - your lightshow is awesome but perhaps a bit over the top for tiny venues
    Whole band - when you head outside for a fag after the show dont leave the haze machine on!!

We gig to perv. Just saying.
    mike_l said:

This is why we have lead guitarists. Learn the 'odd' solo. That's what I do. Just get a few 'in the correct key' tracks going on and twat it.