Performance anxiety...

What's Hot
stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
edited December 2014 in Making & Modding
With child 2 imminent, my social life and financial freedom are about to take a hit- I need a project! A HOME BUILD! I've seen you guys building and producing pretty awesome stuff from the Gear4Music kits. (I'd MUCH rather do this than mod a Squier for example- I want the natural finish & stripping poly doesn't appeal!)
I'm looking at this:

I'm planning a tele (the simplest option) with oiled plain wood finish (again, hopefully the simplest option)- aiming for a natural finish means that I'm planning the Ash rather than Basswood kit- it's only £10 more & hopefully will be a nicer bit of tree. Ideally I'll be going for a Bruce Springsteen- Born To Run vibe.
I have a few queries... 
1. Barring my own mess ups, are the finished guitars generally decent (frets, nut etc)? I'm pretty handy with most things- woodwork/finishing/soldering etc, but levelling frets and cutting nuts :0 are outside my skills. 
2. Is it relatively simple? (Reassure me that I won't balls it up!)
3. Are the routes for neck & pups standardised? So IF I do a decent job and eventually decide to upgrade the pups/ replace the neck with a Warmoth (for example) it'll all fit.
4. Are Gear4Music kits the best option? I'm operating on a fairly tight budget... so a bespoke one is out!

Amazingly "She Who Must Be Obeyed" doesn't HATE the idea- She likes the look of natural telecasters & is reassured by the fact that it'll be "relatively" cheap (I have the tools I THINK I'll need etc) and that I can gradually add bits as needed later- providing a source of potential birthday presents etc for her to buy me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi, @stimpsonslostson

I think you'll be very pleased with the kit.  The experience we've all had is that they are perfectly playable with no major modding at all - just need a decent set of strings and a basic set up approach.  The frets will probably be a bit uneven but, to be honest, that will probably simply result in the need for a slightly higher action than optimum.

If you read @WezV's thread from the 2014 Challenge, he starts off building his as is, before then taking it apart again and doing his magic with the mods.  His thread is here

I think the routings are standard size so you shouldn't have any difficulty for future upgrades.

Keep us all posted!

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Just get it bought. I'm sure if you have ANY difficulty, there's a reasonably timely and responsive online resource you can rely on to 'sort it' for ya...
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Mine needed (and still needs really) quite a bit of fret work due to a low point on the 3rd fret causing a lot of buzzing on the G and D strings as they clatter against the 4th fret when fretted at the 3rd. 

However, I think I'm the only one who had such problems so I think I was a bit unlucky.  I'm still considering buying another kit to do something a bit more adventurous with.