songsterr

Anybody else use this? I think it's great and the "free" version is great. Hope the site never goes down!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Yep, another happy user here. The tabs aren't perfect, but it's a very handy resource. Unfortunately since I downloaded the app they seem to have changed the terms. My son downloaded it, and it seems he has to pay a regular subscription in order to have the access that Ive got.
  • Is the paid version any better?
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    I use a bit, but for learning song material nothing clan beat iReal pro. If you're learning a solo or complex passage I imagine it could be quite useful.
  • Need an iPad/iMac for that?
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Is the paid version any better?
    I'm pretty sure I paid for my copy, although I can't get iTunes to tell me for definite. And judging from the most recent reviews the only payment option is a £3 monthly subscription, without which you get no songs.

I just had a look at iReal Pro, and it looks a very different beast, and very much slanted towards jazz rather than pop/rock which is where songsterr seems to be aimed. iReal seems to provid a good backing track to jam along to, whereas the sounds in songsterr are a joke.
    Need an iPad/iMac for that?
    I use it on an iPad yes. You get very clear transcriptions that are either self-written in an editor or downloaded from the public domain. Fortunately they're usually pretty good and you can change the key to whatever you want on the fly. I play in a couple of cover bands where the sets change with perplexing regularity and requests are pretty common too. This app has bailed me out countless times.
  • Damn, I've not got apple devices. Are the songs covered pretty good (wide range etc compared to songsterr)?
    songsterr does sound naff and the tabs aren't perfect but they're a great start. I don't pay for it. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    iReal pro is on android as well.  Unless it's changed from when I used it it's just chord sheets which can be handy but finding songs could be a pain (unless it's a jazz standard - they were plentiful) and I found entering my own chords sheets a frustrating experience so went back to pen and paper.
    There's quite a few pop standards on there these days. I guess a lot of function band players must have adopted this app. It's definately worth noting that there's no notation or Tab just chord charts but I find these much more useful for what I do. Much better than those God awful lyrics sheet with the chord symbols above the text.
  • I found that it's alright, but I prefer Guitar Pro 6.  With GP6 I can download tabs and mess about with them a lot more.  This includes such things as correcting tab and slowing them down to learn licks.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Has anyone had any experience with the GP app for iPad?

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Yeah I use it all the time
    d8m said:
    Has anyone had any experience with the GP app for iPad?

• sunshinewellysunshinewelly Frets: 731
    edited January 2015
    is the free version still available on the ipad

also whats the GP app?
  • GP = Guitar Pro
  • @sunshinewelly, here a link for the trial version of GP6.
  • cheers for the link,

seems that songster on the ipad is no longer free