Something I noticed since getting proper monitors@

What's Hot
Is it possible that some speakers show greater timing detail than others? On the monitors that I just purchased from our very own @BluesyDave I noticed that I can hear timing discrepancies between the left/right channel on fast doubletracked parts far more easily than I could through my previous setup (which was a yamaha hifi amp and some monitor audio bookshelf speakers).

Makes me want to go back and retrack a bunch of my old reaper projects :D

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17607
    tFB Trader
    It may just be the additional clarity giving you better separation between the parts
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Are you new monitors powered?

When I switched from speakers with a Hi fi amp to HS7's, I noticed a difference in clarity which I suppose could be perceived as timing,  , 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Yep they're powered
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2015

It depends what exactly and how much timing details you notice but to an extent the answer is yes.  In tight percussive music like metal or dance the transient speed on the monitor can be really noticeable.  When people go on about the success of the NS10 for various reasons, one they often overlook is just how fast it responds and in doing so highlights every transient and timing detail more so than some bigger monitors.  It can become essential not just for key percussion like snares, but for compressor settings (especially release) on almost anything.

EDIT - Looking at what you bought, the KRKs have a fibre glass cone and as such are very tight, plus they are relatively small so the response will be more noticeable especially compared to bookshelf speakers.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad you like em Buddy  :)

....even though they are creating a bit more work, lol.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    What you say @PolarityMan is exactly the reason monitors are rarely used for listening to music (for enjoyment). Monitors are very good at revealing faults in the playing and timing......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• It depends what exactly and how much timing details you notice but to an extent the answer is yes.  In tight percussive music like metal or dance the transient speed on the monitor can be really noticeable.  When people go on about the success of the NS10 for various reasons, one they often overlook is just how fast it responds and in doing so highlights every transient and timing detail more so than some bigger monitors.  It can become essential not just for key percussion like snares, but for compressor settings (especially release) on almost anything.

EDIT - Looking at what you bought, the KRKs have a fibre glass cone and as such are very tight, plus they are relatively small so the response will be more noticeable especially compared to bookshelf speakers.

Sounds like this what's going on, it's on tight fast palm mutes where I most notice it. I guess I should have played it tighter the first time round!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

The "speed" of any system, be it a speaker or a robot servo, simply depends on the passband of said system so if all speakers can "do" 50Hz to 20kHz say, they are equally "fast".

What better systems WILL have is better damping so that they stop quicker and do not "ring" thus not "smearing" the transient.

Passive speakers with high level crossovers will always be inferior to active, bi or tri amped speakers at any given price point.

And I know I am being contrary but! I really enjoy music on my Tannoy 5As...Mind you! Most of my listening is to Radio 3 HD.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • it's on tight fast palm mutes where I most notice it.
    Is it against programmed or real drums?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • this particular one is against programmed drums but its def the guitars because i solo'd them. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ