Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Delays with programmable settings

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @Si, have you tried an Axe-FX II.  It has a delightfully wide variety of delays! :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I've heard of the AxeFX but not really tried one...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    ChrisMusic;46038" said:
    Does anyone know if any or the pedals here have the ability to separate the wet / dry signals?I'm really looking for one where I can choose to get the wet / delay signal only if I want.

Cirrus said:  ...(eventually I went back to the DD-20 via an ill advised foray into racks)...

Why was rack mount gear a problem?  Not sure I understand the rack vs pedals issue.

The DD-20 also has seperate dry/wet ins and outs, I'm going from memory here but I THINK on startup there are options for how you set up the pedal: -10/+4db, and stereo or wet/dry on outputs 1 and 2.

As for the rack gear thing, The rack delays I had were awesome, really enjoyed them. What I didn't enjoy was having a 12u box that weighed more and was bigger than my AC30, which I was completely incapable of lifting without help. I didn't enjoy that half the units in the setup were solely there so I could use the other half - power supplies, switchers, tuners, foot controlers and expression pedals. I didn't like that making a new sound became a science experiment every time we started jamming a new idea, and I certainly didn't like that when something went wrong I was crawling about in the back of a massive flight case looking for loose connections etc. Eventually I realised that for my style, tap dancing stomp boxes was better. If I had roadies, I suspect I'd still have the rack. As it is, I've got a medium sized pedal board that gets me the same variety of sounds.

When the other band members of the band started calling it "the Maiden", I knew it was time to give in.

Rest in Pieces, Maiden.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    spacecadet;45717" said:
    There is of course the Eventide H9. Not out yet but should be here in a couple of weeks. I have my eye on that one.
    Perfick !  Thanks.

Shimmer effect is awesome !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I run a Nova Delay into the front of my amp and haven't noticed any noise particularly, I've had mine for a few years, a couple of times I've wanted to swap it as switching presets is a bit of a faff and also even when the effect is switched off the signal is still going through the ad/da conversion which I didn't like the idea of (though it doesn't sound bad in anyway that I can tell).  But I just can't see anything that will do what I want it to (eg global tap tempo, presets that are easy to change) without it being a lot more expensive.  

I do like the idea of the visual sounds dual tap delay, though that's only got two 'presets'.  Haven't managed to find one to try though!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    What about the Line 6 M5? I've just got mine, plenty of Delays in there that you could store as presets, and its got tap tempo.  Then there's all the other effects and a tuner as a bonus.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    I notice that the vox delay lab and line 6 DL 4 have been mentioned above but they don't seem to be getting the "love"...why not?

three three that were on my list were the delaylab, DL4 or the x4 flashback - but more likely to be the DL4 as there is a sporting chance of getting one s/h.  The delaylab at about £150 seems good value (relatively) and endless presets.....
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    My DL4 died. Went horribly hissy even on bypass and a repair wasn't worth the hassle. That's when I got the Timefactor and the DL4 really doesn't come close to that in features or sound quality.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • There is of course the Eventide H9. Not out yet but should be here in a couple of weeks. I have my eye on that one.
    I was looking at that myself a while back, and I thought it looked pretty interesting. Now that I've seen the eye-watering price, I'm officially changing my mind...nearly £500 for a single stomp is definitely outside the bounds of reasonable expenditure for me ;)

If it could run multiple algorithms in a chain, then it might be worth it. However, it doesn't - and I can't find a list of downloadable algorithms anywhere (which you have to pay for on top of the painful purchase price).
    If you download the app you will see everything thats available.

Price wise it does seem like a chunk of money but when you consider what you are getting it's ludicrously cheap. Looking at an Eclipse (same processors/ fx) they are £1800. I agree with the no more than one effect at once gripe but I'm certain enough people will moan and they will do a range of multi effect algos to download.
  • The
    Does anyone know if any or the pedals here have the ability to separate the wet / dry signals?
    I'm really looking for one where I can choose to get the wet / delay signal only if I want.

Cirrus said:  ...(eventually I went back to the DD-20 via an ill advised foray into racks)...
    Why was rack mount gear a problem?  Not sure I understand the rack vs pedals issue.
    The tc doesn't do wet/dry, though my laymans guess is that it would only take a software update to do it. 

Someone asked why no love for the dl4, well when you look at the pedalboards of the pros - particularly big delay users, it's a staple, so i guess that says something...  The x4 is pretty new to the scene, idk if it will take off in a big way
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Cirrus said:
    ChrisMusic;46038" said:         Cirrus said:  ...eventually I went back to the DD-20 via an ill advised foray into racks...
    As for the rack gear thing, The rack delays I had were awesome, really enjoyed them. What I didn't enjoy was having a 12u box that weighed more and was bigger than my AC30, which I was completely incapable of lifting without help. I didn't enjoy that half the units in the setup were solely there so I could use the other half - power supplies, switchers, tuners, foot controlers and expression pedals. I didn't like that making a new sound became a science experiment every time we started jamming a new idea, and I certainly didn't like that when something went wrong I was crawling about in the back of a massive flight case looking for loose connections etc. Eventually I realised that for my style, tap dancing stomp boxes was better. If I had roadies, I suspect I'd still have the rack. As it is, I've got a medium sized pedal board that gets me the same variety of sounds.
    Quite an awesome looking rack I have to say @Cirrus, like the pedal tray too, but I can see why you might have an issue with weight, and I didn't even think about the reliability and trouble shooting concerns.  Definitely one for roadies and guitar techs on the crew to lug and maintain I think.
    This whole thing will take some research and getting my head around.  Thanks for sharing your experience, and that photograph too.

midiglitch said:   ...The tc doesn't do wet/dry, though my laymans guess is that it would only take a software update to do it. 
    Thanks for the info @midiglitch, that is a shame as it looks like a great unit, and I have a lot of respect for TC.

• Cirrus said:
    ChrisMusic;46038" said:         Cirrus said:  ...eventually I went back to the DD-20 via an ill advised foray into racks...
    Quite an awesome looking rack I have to say @Cirrus, like the pedal tray too, but I can see why you might have an issue with weight, and I didn't even think about the reliability and trouble shooting concerns.  Definitely one for roadies and guitar techs on the crew to lug and maintain I think.
    This whole thing will take some research and getting my head around.  Thanks for sharing your experience, and that photograph too.

midiglitch said:   ...The tc doesn't do wet/dry, though my laymans guess is that it would only take a software update to do it. 
    Thanks for the info @midiglitch, that is a shame as it looks like a great unit, and I have a lot of respect for TC.
    The TC Flashback won't do wet/dry but it WILL do effect only. There's a small 'dry kill' switch inside the battery compartment.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    steamabacus said:    The TC Flashback won't do wet/dry but it WILL do effect only. There's a small 'dry kill' switch inside the battery compartment.
    Wow, thanks for that @steamabacus, it feels like Christmas just might have come early this year. :)

• The Flashback is a great delay pedal - stereo in/out, true or buffered bypass, handles line level, analogue dry-through, excellent sound quality. I'm very happy with mine.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited October 2013
    The DD-20 is still the one I keep coming back to.  Pretty much what's been said:

Use it with that Roland non-latching foot switch for the easiest tap tempo I've ever used.

Most of the gig I have it on the Manual setting, and like's been said, I love the DD-20 analog setting -- it's just so usable for live.  I have it in the loop of the JVM at +4dB.

And 4 echo memories which I've set up to cover all the other bases I want live:
    1)  Slap back
    2)  Reverse
    3)  Dotted 1/8
    4)  King Tubby

It's just a great pedal.  Boring in a way but such a good work horse.  If it died I'd have to get another.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389

:\">

RTFM time - that button marked Preset on the TC NOVA Delay stores up to 9 presets.  Plonker ! :-B
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    nickp;46272" said:
    I notice that the vox delay lab and line 6 DL 4 have been mentioned above but they don't seem to be getting the "love"...why not?

three three that were on my list were the delaylab, DL4 or the x4 flashback - but more likely to be the DL4 as there is a sporting chance of getting one s/h.  The delaylab at about £150 seems good value (relatively) and endless presets.....
    I'd have replaced my Carbon Copy and Deluxe Memory Boy with an x4 by now if you could enter the tap tempo while the unit was in bypass, mega dealbreaker for me. I almost went for one when they were giving away a free polytune mini with them recently and that was the only thing that stopped me.