Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rockett Archer returned. Need new overdrive advice.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
Just returned the rockett archer to Guitar guitar for a refund. Great pedal but not for me. Looking for suggestions for a replacement. I am looking for a drive pedal that's transparent and will give me rich thick lead tone at low to medium overdrive with no fizz. I am quite a fan of wampler pedals, so any from them would be good. I have a euphoria that's superb, so something completely different from that.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Timmy?
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 146
    theres the forum favourite - subdecay liquid sunshine
    might be worth a go, its got switches on the inside for bass boost and treble cut that might help tailor the sound 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    What was wrong with the archer?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Xotic AC. I think it's a very underrated pedal that can be low gain, high gain, bright, thick and everything in between all of these. 
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    thorpy6;467869" said:
    What was wrong with the archer?  Great pedal with my strat  on low drive. But didn't like the sound with my Prs SC58 and the gain high. Much prefer my euphoria.
    From a quick look on youtube, the timmy sounds good.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30930
    If you really want what you say with price not too much of an issue, the Pete Cornish CC1 is the best pedal he's ever made. It's mindblowingly good. And you'll get one in 2 weeks off chandlers.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    edited January 2015
    Have you looked at the Emerson Em Drive or the Greer Lightspeed? There's a lightspeed just come up on eBay for a decent price (you don't see them often over here). Failing that you could always pick up my JHS Double Barrel in the classifieds ;)
    Something I'll look at thanks.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    This sounds like a job for the Timmy.  (there is a Tim going in the Classified) 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    ....or the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent OD. A Timmy without the price tag. Might not be your thing visually, but too many people concur that it sounds exactly the same ;-) I have one and really like it.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    The egnater goldsmith is particularly good!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • What about the Euphoria set to either smooth or open? Works great for me
  • So rich and thick, but transparent?

Are you pushing an amp or using the drive in the pedal into a clean amp?

I don't think you can get rich and thick unless it's colouring the sound . I didn't particularly think much of the timmy, nice enough I suppose but bland - kinda the point I guess.
    I run my pedals in to a clean amp. My Hughes and Kettner puretone has quite a high headroom.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11883
    The problem with these threads is that you will get every OD under the sun suggested, everyone thinks differently and so will you.

So you just got to try them all !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • markj;468420" said:
    I run my pedals in to a clean amp. My Hughes and Kettner puretone has quite a high headroom.
    For adding a bit of grit, the timmy is good, but if you want something that sounds warm and thick, I don't think you'll get it. People say it's transparent, and it can be, or not, but it doesn't do thick and smooth I thought (which is what I like in a lead sound).

I associate those tones more with fuzz, but I'd actually have suggest the wampler euphoria - it sounds like it could be the sound you're after and you already have it! :)
  • One pedal I was really surprised and pleased with is the Zvex super duper clone I have - the drive it can give as opposed to boost is really nice, warm and thick with my Marshall on clean!

But I'll say again, I think your Euphoria can more than likely do the job for you! It's a fantastic OD pedal (as you will know)
    I contacted wampler for some advice. they said I should try a plexidrive. Would this work?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27134
    Have you tried a tubescreamer?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom