Compressor? Whirlwind Red Box or Dyna Comp Script etc?

What's Hot
ellangusellangus Frets: 250
I'm looking for a reasonably priced compressor. (£35 - £70 max)

Looking into Dyna comp of which there seem to be about 3 different ones (Normal current version, 76 Re-issue, Custom comp and Super Comp).

Also I've now had the Whirlwind Red Box thrown into the mix (Supposedly a contender to the MXR 76 Re-ssue).

Anyone got any thoughts

Thanks
Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Strongly recommend the Love Squeeze, selling for 90 in the classifieds. Didn't like the standard DynaComp I had, it was too noisy. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited January 2015
    If you also need a TS I'm selling a Visual Sound Route 66 within your budget (£45 delivered), it has a modified Dyna circuit on one side and a modded 808 on the other. A bit cosmetically marked but works fine http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/27303/fs-ft-visual-sound-route-66-ts-and-compressor#latest
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    If you also need a TS I'm selling a Visual Sound Route 66 within your budget (£45 delivered), it has a modified Dyna circuit on one side and a modded 808 on the other. A bit cosmetically marked but works fine http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/27303/fs-ft-visual-sound-route-66-ts-and-compressor#latest
    Thanks but Just bought a maxon od9 last week!!
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    The Whirlwind is an updated script logo comp which I found was slightly quieter than my old script one. I also found it didn't colour the sound like the mxr. Having said that, I've not tried the dynacomp reissue only an original script logo. Plus you can power the whirlwind off a power supply. The reissue only takes a battery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Not a fan of the regular dynacomp. Noisy and harsh sounding.
  • I've got a big silver Biyang compressor. It's a 1:1 Ross clone and sounds good. It's fairly quiet by all accounts and new they're around £40, and about half that second hand.
  • My favourite compressor is the DOD FX80B, they can be picked up for peanuts (less than 30 quid) on ebay.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    I've got a big silver Biyang compressor. It's a 1:1 Ross clone and sounds good. It's fairly quiet by all accounts and new they're around £40, and about half that second hand.
    Wow so some lasted long enough to be sold second-hand?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited January 2015
    Dave_Mc;472753" said:
    NervousJohn said:

I've got a big silver Biyang compressor. It's a 1:1 Ross clone and sounds good. It's fairly quiet by all accounts and new they're around £40, and about half that second hand.

Wow so some lasted long enough to be sold second-hand?
    And had survived a year or so of some clown (me) stomping on it as well :)

I took mine to bits for a nosey to look for any weak spots, and to be honest it's better designed than the Joyos. And a lot of the boutique stuff.
    It may well be. But I had several and several of them died (not the compressor, to be fair). Including one of the replacements being dodgy out of the box.
  • Dave_Mc;473923" said:
    It may well be. But I had several and several of them died (not the compressor, to be fair). Including one of the replacements being dodgy out of the box.
    I vaguely remember you mentioning. Did you ever find out what happened?

edited January 2015
    I suspect possibly just the switch (at least on the tubescreamer clone), though the phaser (IIRC) had a weird ticking on one of the settings so I'm not sure what that is. The muff clone still works but the little miniswitch can crackle if you fiddle with it too much.

It may have just been a bad batch, I got them all more or less at the same time. But I still figure I'd rather warn people, since they aren't *that* cheap and you can get reliable stuff for the same money or not much more.

EDIT: Just to clarify how bad it is, both the phaser and muff I mentioned there are replacements for the originals which died. :))