NPD (Vintage Boss Content)

not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited January 2015 in FX
Thanks to @robwright I've got this to play with, and it sounds great through my THR10 so I'm looking forward to playing it loud at our next rehearsal. http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/not_the_dj/65EB93C2-4605-4F43-A7B0-CC9804E9E88A_zps3wbxzw74.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Best

Pedal

EVER.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeaaaah! Cool pedal, I love mine.

I'll warn you, mine actually didn't like the blackstar ht metal. Even with the ht metal off, it ended up kinda harsh... Take that out of the signal chain and it was back to massive sounding, thick, slightly fuzzy distortion :) so in other words, try it on its own then see if other buffers screw it. I have an almost fully buffered board and only that one made it weird...
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    Only run it on it's own with a battery so far. From what I understand I need to have it daisy chained as it needs the old ACA PSU. @ICBM is that correct?

I use a Diago Powerstation daisy chaining between pedals. 

Current gigging board looks like this: 

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj563/not_the_dj/AA9FDEB9-616F-426C-B091-2ACECE442AD6_zpsltefffye.jpg
  • Very nice. Happy NPD.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Dare I ask are these valuable now?

I bought one in the mid-80s to dirty up a Music Man combo I gigged with. It did the job very well but I sold it (probably for not very much!) when I bought a channel switching valve amp.
    edited January 2015
    I paid £85 delivered on here, which compared to some ebay prices looks to be a bargain....especially as this is an early Super Distortion & Feedbacker instead of the later Super Feedbacker & Distortion (same inside but Seymour Duncan had dibs on the Super Distortion name)
  • not_the_dj;473207" said:
    I paid £85 delivered on here, which compared to some ebay prices looks to be a bargain....especially as this is an early Super Distortion & Feedbacker instead of the later Super Feedbacker & Distortion (same inside but Seymour Duncan had dibs on the Super Distortion name)
    Yeah, I got mine for 35 quid but it had a broken volume knob (still works, I'll fix it eventually) and is the super feedbacker and distortion.

Mine just powers with a regular PSU.
    Only run it on it's own with a battery so far. From what I understand I need to have it daisy chained as it needs the old ACA PSU. @ICBM is that correct?
    Yes, but you can change the pedal to a PSA input extremely easily by bypassing the extra resistor and diode - with one small blob of solder, if I remember rightly. Most of them are like that, the two components are laid out in series doubled back on themselves so you just need to join the two 'in' and 'out' ends. You still have the other protection diode to prevent reverse-voltage damage.

...especially as this is an early Super Distortion & Feedbacker instead of the later Super Feedbacker & Distortion (same inside but Seymour Duncan had dibs on the Super Distortion name)
    DiMarzio. Like they have trademarks on the term 'PAF' and the double-cream humbucker, even though they neither invented them or used them first.

I prefer the Super Distortion & Feeedbacker (I have two already, or I'd have wanted this one as well!) purely because it pissed off DiMarzio :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Only run it on it's own with a battery so far. From what I understand I need to have it daisy chained as it needs the old ACA PSU.

I use a Diago Powerstation daisy chaining between pedals. 

The old ACA power supply (not the new version) was actually unregulated 12V (approx) and some isolated multi- power supplies have an output to cater for this. Daisy chaining with another pedal is the easiest option, though.

There's a good explanation of exactly what's going on with ACA/PSA Boss supplies here.
  • @ICBM am I powering mine wrong? I'm using an isolated 9v supply from the powerplant junior, just like any other pedal...
    @ICBM am I powering mine wrong? I'm using an isolated 9v supply from the powerplant junior, just like any other pedal...
    Unless it's been modded for a PSA, you'll be underpowering it. It will still probably work fine and may not sound any different, but it's worth comparing it to a battery just to be sure.

• ICBM said:
    @ICBM am I powering mine wrong? I'm using an isolated 9v supply from the powerplant junior, just like any other pedal...
    Unless it's been modded for a PSA, you'll be underpowering it. It will still probably work fine and may not sound any different, but it's worth comparing it to a battery just to be sure.
    Ooo I'll pop a battery in and report back.  It'll be interesting if it does sound different but I prefer it running 9v!

How long can I expect a battery to last? 
    edited January 2015
    How old is yours @ThePrettyDamned? Google tells me this;

The first DF-2s was labeled "Super Distortion & Feedbacker" while the later ones was called "Super Feedbacker & Distortion". DiMarzio had already registered the name "Super Distortion" so Boss was forced changed the DF-2's name. The change took place around serial number 500000 (January 1985). Production moved to Taiwan late 1989 and was modified for the PSA adapter from early 1991.
    It'll be interesting if it does sound different but I prefer it running 9v!
    I thought that too :).

Ages. Can't remember the current draw but it's probably in the 10mA range.

• ICBM said:
    It'll be interesting if it does sound different but I prefer it running 9v!
    I thought that too :).

Ages. Can't remember the current draw but it's probably in the 10mA range.
    Sweet, I'll give it a punt. 

I *love* it already, but actually that may explain why it didn't play nice with the blackstar.  Not important - I'll never put the strat through the blackstar anyway, but the prs does... And sounds nice and squishy with the DF-2. Maybe it'll be less squishy. 

I discovered that a strat bridge pickup into a lower gain fuzz and the DF-2 makes me sound pretty much the same as Matt Bellamy. And I've pretty well not touched anything since...