Fender Pro Junior

What's Hot
JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
Went to the afternoon clam bake at Ain't Nothing But ... yesterday.

The guitarists all used a Fender Pro Junior, and it sounded bloody fantastic - a lot cleaner than the Blues Junior. Lovely break up when gunned, but good cleans. All sorts of HB/P90/SC pickups and ranged from 335 to some really skanky looking things.  Only pedal used was an MXR Carbon Copy for slap-back or reverb effects.

Very impressed indeed
Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The Pro Jr is a really great little amp, often misunderstood because it is very much not just a simplified Blues Junior - it's a completely different amp, much more open and natural-sounding.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30916
    The original usa ones are fetching silly money

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    The original usa ones are fetching silly money
    A triumph of guitar-world "early-ism", or possibly subtle racism, over build quality...

OK, the originals had the alnico Eminence speaker, but you can put something even nicer in a new one very easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have a tweed covered USA one and very nice it is too

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a639/matthew_goodwin1/imagejpg1_zps924f75f3.jpg

Very nice basic sound that you can then dress up how you like, but a good quality even sounding tone is pretty much standard.

Loud as buggery though if you turn it up high

So, this silly money for USA made ones... Ha ha
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Just had a look on ebay this morning - there aren't any (US or otherwise) - 100s of Blues Juniors in contrast.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I guess that's the point, less sold new but more retained as they are good. I think the Blues Junior sells well because of that misunderstanding that the two amps are the same but the BJ appears to have extras (verb, bigger speaker and master vol), which as stated above is not the case.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Fantastic little amp, totally revised my opinions on what you did and didn't need for great tone.  Less really is more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a tweed covered USA one and very nice it is too

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a639/matthew_goodwin1/imagejpg1_zps924f75f3.jpg

Very nice basic sound that you can then dress up how you like, but a good quality even sounding tone is pretty much standard.

Loud as buggery though if you turn it up high

So, this silly money for USA made ones... Ha ha
    I had one of those but stupidly sold it to a MR forumite in Scotland.

I bought a Tweed Champ though which has a great tone.

Pro Juniors are great amps. Jeff Beck used to gig with two as a stereo rig.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Yeah i got mine from here, for quite a bargain I'd say to be honest. When i move in with my lady friend i might need to either hide it away or sell it on (she doesn't like its styling...) but for a quality amp at all volumes suitable to play outside of the cave it can't be beaten
    When i move in with my lady friend i might need to either hide it away or sell it on (she doesn't like its styling...)
    What? Ditch her before it's too late - that sounds like a lifetime of incompatibility to me. I can understand a woman objecting to something like a Marshall stack, but not liking a neat little tweed amp like that is taking things too far.

• Yeah i got mine from here, for quite a bargain I'd say to be honest. When i move in with my lady friend i might need to either hide it away or sell it on (she doesn't like its styling...) but for a quality amp at all volumes suitable to play outside of the cave it can't be beaten
    Bollocks to that!
    :-O

Cover it in a piece of 'acceptably' patterned cloth/throw when not in use as a compromise?
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited January 2015
    Well all the houses i am putting forward for us to look at have a small extra bedroom, and I've agreed to be responsible for the decor of one room...man cave :)

On tother hand, selling that would give me some gas funds to furnish said room with
  • Tweed wallpaper?
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tweed wallpaper?
    ;)
    I was thinking more of this, courtesy of my favourite restaurant in Brum:
  • But back to the Pro Junior, it is a most excellent base amp. With others I've had, certain drive flavours into it havent quite sounded right but with this one, it brings most things out well (as long as you're not after brutal metal). Also it responds well to different pickups, though I've not got a humbucker guitar to test that
    steamabacus said:

Cover it in a piece of 'acceptably' patterned cloth/throw when not in use as a compromise?
    If you're going to cover it in something, do it properly...

http://www.conceptmusic.com.au/product_images/y/363/blues-junior-fsr-black-paisley__16453_zoom.jpg

:)

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9619
    When i move in with my lady friend i might need to either hide it away or sell it on (she doesn't like its styling...) 
    Would madam find this more acceptable?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd hope not...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Tweed wallpaper?
    ;)
    I was thinking more of this, courtesy of my favourite restaurant in Brum:

Wheres that then?
    Never quite convinced a PJ is giggable without micing up and if you need two (a la Jeff Beck) then why not just a bigger amp to start with?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited January 2015
    Turtle Bay, Caribbean restaurant nr the Alex theatre...very tasty. Has recently overtaken Bodega for me

Anywho, the PJ. Yeah you might need two in stereo to gig, but a bigger amp for the same money wouldn't give you stereo or sound as good with so little tweaking needed. They are also much lighter, i managed to carry mine all round London when i bought it from the nice chap down there. I couldn't have done that with my old hot rod deluxe! Which cost me exactly twice what the PJ cost me