New Jam Night on the cards - input wanted

BilliBobBilliBob Frets: 19
OK guys,
been approached to facilitate a new Jam night.
I am considering doing 2 a month, 1 acoustic and the other fully electric.
There are a few within 20miles, but they are all more leaning to the open mic side rather than actually getting random peeps up alongside other musicians and literally Jamming it along with commonly known numbers.
Few questions which may help me get the format right and hence build a successful regular session attended by some quality musicians.
1.  Best night of the week?  Dont want to do either Friday or Saturday as we will be gigging then.
2.  What is it that good quality musicians are looking for in a Jam night?
3.  Suggestions on format, ie 2 or 3 songs played by my band followed by changing musos for individual instruments.
4.  Best way of finding out what are the best songs to have them Jam?
5.  Do I post up 1 month what the Jam songs will be for the next one?
I am initially going to be doing this for fuel costs only.  If it turns into a well attended regular session a reasonable charge will apply, clearly it has to be financially viable for the Landlord.
I havent been to a Jam/open mic night for a fair while now, due to the formats used and the huge ego massaging nature of the guy running the local one,  Its just a look at how cool I am sort of thing for him to revel in his own amazing ability(At least he thinks so).  He is threatened by people who are more talented than him(to the degree of turning you way down on the PA so you cant hear a thing, on the acoustic numbers).  Hence why quality musos dont bother going.
I really want to foster an environment where the really good musicians who live close by look forwards to getting it going with other musicians for fun, in a relaxed friendly atmosphere.  What suggestions do you have to help me deliver this kind of event?
All responses are appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The Cambridge jams run on a 3 song basis. So 3 songs, change musicians. This changes to 2 songs on very busy nights. Drummers and Bassists may be playing 2 sets on the bounce, depending on how many of them turn up.

The usual format is 2x guitar, bass drums, sometimes a keyboardist will turn up, let them have their go.

The jams are usually blues-based, but Hendrix, Pink Floyd etc turn up semi-regularly. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom