Did a rehearsal with an iPad + JamUp Pro/Bias, and...

robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
... it was pretty good!

I need to work on setting up some presets, and I might buy a bluetooth foot switch unit to switch patches, but it was one hell of a lot easier to take a guitar and iPad to the rehearsal room then two guitars, a 4x10 valve combo, a PedalTrain Pro board in a flightcase, plus a large box of leads, stands, etc. :)

R.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kinkin Frets: 1015
    what did you use with it ? Straight to P.A ?

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    Wow, can you give any more details on the setup, I've not used it before but it sounds like it could take a decent amount of hassle out of gigging! Are the amp models believable enough and do you get the same sort of 'connection' you get with an amp?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406

I've seen a couple of guys gig with laptops running Amplitude. One had the laptop on a chair next to him which looked a bit shit but soundwise it was ok

If you have a digital desk with firewire or USB returns you can run Amplitude or 11 or whatever from the desk and just plug into the multicore via a di box on the stage
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Does it not feel like you're cheating? (on your amp) I think I'd feel dirty after a rehearsal like that! Saying that my amp/pedals stay in our rehearsal room so I may feel differently if I was lugging it about all the time.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    The setup was guitar -> Focusrite iTrack Dock -> PA

I'm using an iPad Air 2 running JamUp Pro XT with BIAS amp modelling.

The amp emulations vary but are generally very good. Some of them clean up when you roll off the volume, etc.

I found it absolutely fine for general rehearsal, but I'm not sure I'd use it for a gig yet without a dedicated monitor so I could attempt to get the same sustain/feedback as I get with a real amp.

R.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited January 2015
    I've done POD gigs before. It (can) sound fine, the real issue is that it places you at the mercy of the venues PA system and particularly the monitors as your singer will murder you if you fill the monitor mix with guitar.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    hugbot said:
    I've done POD gigs before. It (can) sound fine, the real issue is that it places you at the mercy of the venues PA system and particularly the monitors as your singer will murder you if you fill the monitor mix with guitar.
    Hence my comment about using a dedicated monitor :)

R.