Great Looking Offset for just £97 !!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• They have some really cool looking guitars in the HB range- I particularly like the Mosrite styled ones, the "Prince" Tele and the Brian May guitar.

However, I struggle to convince myself that they're an exception to the rule that you get what you pay for. Thomann have a fantastic photographer who can make cheap stuff look like a million dollars, so even if you can gut the guitar and replace all the stuff they cut corners on to make a guitar that retails for under a ton, the pay for the setup/fret dress etc. I suspect they'll still look and feel cheap in real life, and you'll be out the sort of money that could have bought you a nicer guitar to start with.

...at least that's whay I'm telling myself.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    english_bob;479486" said:
    They have some really cool looking guitars in the HB range- I particularly like the Mosrite styled ones, the "Prince" Tele and the Brian May guitar.

However, I struggle to convince myself that they're an exception to the rule that you get what you pay for. Thomann have a fantastic photographer who can make cheap stuff look like a million dollars, so even if you can gut the guitar and replace all the stuff they cut corners on to make a guitar that retails for under a ton, the pay for the setup/fret dress etc. I suspect they'll still look and feel cheap in real life, and you'll be out the sort of money that could have bought you a nicer guitar to start with.

...at least that's whay I'm telling myself.
    sorry to upset you but they're good guitars, no worse than squire or epiphones (prob same factory as other brands). Someone on here has the price Tele, the rosewood one and a 335, and was happy with them.

So best go buy some :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Alnico said:
    underdog said:
    You can also have a 335 type, or an explorer for about the same. Tempted by the explorer.
    That explorer is a set neck isn't it?

That being the case it's just a mission to replace cheap hardware and there's a great guitar for buttons !

EDIT: Yes it is a set neck..............
    Set neck explorer for 76 quid... something's got to give! (preferably not the set neck)

I'm still skeptical about the quality. One little thing can ruin a guitar for me, like imperfect string alignment or the wrong neck curve profile leading to incurable fret buzz. This usually means it will be immediately relegated to the unplayed pile, and I would have wasted the money (however little) I spent on it.

I cannot help but think buying one would be a huge risk as obviously not a lot of money has been spent on quality control and I'm not convinced the employees care enough or are allowed to throw duds in the furnace rather than the shipping container.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Thomann are great with returns and their customer service is excellent - if the guitar ca,e out of the box like that they would accept it back and send another one without delay.

I would risk it with Thomann knowing how good they are.
    Yup 30 days to return to them for refund. And one huge area of saving costs for the manufacturer is Labour, why a Korean or Indonesian factory worker is less likely to align a bridge correctly than a factory worker in the US or Mexico i don't know.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    And this?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Maynehead said:
    Alnico said:
    underdog said:
    You can also have a 335 type, or an explorer for about the same. Tempted by the explorer.
    That explorer is a set neck isn't it?

That being the case it's just a mission to replace cheap hardware and there's a great guitar for buttons !

EDIT: Yes it is a set neck..............
    Set neck explorer for 76 quid... something's got to give! (preferably not the set neck)

I'm still skeptical about the quality. One little thing can ruin a guitar for me, like imperfect string alignment or the wrong neck curve profile leading to incurable fret buzz. This usually means it will be immediately relegated to the unplayed pile, and I would have wasted the money (however little) I spent on it.

I cannot help but think buying one would be a huge risk as obviously not a lot of money has been spent on quality control and I'm not convinced the employees care enough or are allowed to throw duds in the furnace rather than the shipping container.
    Given you a wisdom for the one little thing can get it relegated to unplayed. I wouldn't say it's a massive risk though, since it's not a massive amount of money as guitars go (okay, could be a lot of money for someone buying it on the basis of cost alone) and sounds like you wouldn't have much trouble returning it if there was an obvious problem. (DSR should let you return it at cost of shipping only even if there isn't)
    I do wish they wouldn't sell guitars so cheap though, as I have nowhere to put them all.
    If you can do a reasonable set up and can use eBay I bet you could turn that £75 guitar into something you could reliably gig for not much money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think i have spending money towards the end of Feb into March so the one in my OP am pretty certain i am going to get and test the water with.

As a base for Mods i think it's excellent value.

Hey now there's an idea for a competition for 2015.........

A Modified Harley Benton Guitar Competition..................

Same brand with loads of choice of models and MEGA low prices. With some thought i think these guitars could be as challenging and rewarding as the Kit built guitars and it would be a unique end result.

Dead easy to get hold of Really good returns policy and customer service, no need for bulk buying and proper fun for everyone to get stuck into.

What say you ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    If you can do a reasonable set up and can use eBay I bet you could turn that £75 guitar into something you could reliably gig for not much money.
    I agree entirely. I've estimated mine at £200 Total.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    /\ now that is a great idea.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    I'm so buying that explorer and probably a 335 alike (you know to save on postage :D)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    I'm so buying that explorer and probably a 335 alike (you know to save on postage :D)
    Yes i'm fighting off the urge to get the explorer as well, "To save on postage"............

That's what i'm telling her anyway and i'm telling her YOU said it first and people here should know not to put these idea's into my head so it's not directly my fault !!!

Sorted.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Alnico said:
    I think i have spending money towards the end of Feb into March so the one in my OP am pretty certain i am going to get and test the water with.

As a base for Mods i think it's excellent value.

Hey now there's an idea for a competition for 2015.........

A Modified Harley Benton Guitar Competition..................

Same brand with loads of choice of models and MEGA low prices. With some thought i think these guitars could be as challenging and rewarding as the Kit built guitars and it would be a unique end result.

Dead easy to get hold of Really good returns policy and customer service, no need for bulk buying and proper fun for everyone to get stuck into.

What say you ?

I could maybe get behind this if time and funds allow. I've got a couple of other projects to finish off first though.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

I was thinking 6 months time frame ?

Maybe set the closing date for the Comp around July 1st ?
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Waaay too soon for me! I'd be more comfortable with a closing date around Sept 1st.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

hobbio said:
    Waaay too soon for me! I'd be more comfortable with a closing date around Sept 1st.
    I can't see that ending the world. 

Lets see what 'Asgard' thinks about it ?
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1302
    I've been looking for a reason to get an HB 335 type to "Cornell"ify.  I'd be game if you lot are.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    I had one and thats what you get .It looks great and is very well made and sounds good .Nice neck but  lethal hand ripping fret ends .after some file work a real steal .It didnt need a fret level though ..I loved it but its also heavy for an old git like me it had to go .If it was lighter I would rip it from your cold dead hands .I unscrewed the neck and sold both for more than I paid for it .Sweet.I love Thomman cheapies but they all weigh too much .,,,,,for me .
    Alnico;479599" said:
    underdog said:

Yes i'm fighting off the urge to get the explorer as well, "To save on postage"............

That's what i'm telling her anyway and i'm telling her YOU said it first and people here should know not to put these idea's into my head so it's not directly my fault !!!

Sorted.
    I'm good with that, because then I can tell my misses you gave me the idea when you bought yours :D