A 2015 mod a Harley Benton guitar challenge?

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Post a full review when you get it please! I was so tempted to get one myself. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    do you realise that that has got a ridiculous number of strings for guitar let alone a bass?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    BigMonka said:
    do you realise that that has got a ridiculous number of strings for guitar let alone a bass?
    oops!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    BigMonka said:
    oops!
    You could always convert it into a 6 string for people with fat fingers. Or a 5 string for people with very fat fingers. Or indeed a 4 string for people with outrageously fat fingers... Might make an interesting project.  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    For Surfing rather than playing ? ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I am thinking of using guitar strings for the top 3,
    Maybe use tape wound on the bottom 4
    Could use piezo on top 3?

tuning could be in 4ths, 5ths or modal

also the control cavity probably needs screening

• That beast is bound to weigh a ton! 7 string bass. Holy crap!
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    I am thinking of using guitar strings for the top 3,
    Maybe use tape wound on the bottom 4
    Could use piezo on top 3?

tuning could be in 4ths, 5ths or modal

also the control cavity probably needs screening

say what??????  lol
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • My big pile'o'stuff has arrived from Thomann… time to get some reviews written (& vouchers earned)!

I'm sure I can be quite eloquent about the Bad Monkey pedal I ordered, but how much is there to say about a patch cable, a strap, set of strings? Time to get creative!

I've heard that the vouchers on offer vary according to the "quality" of the review… any guidance to maximising my returns would be appreciated! 
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    They'll be getting a few long reviews about 15cm patch cables. And 30cm patch cables. And cables. Lol.

@stimpsonslostson there's a bar at the bottom of the screen when you're writing the review. Don't stop until it's in the "Long" section and you're golden.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

Hertz32 said:
    Hertz32 said:
    ToneControl;491139" said:
    Hertz32 said:

I played the HB 7 string bass in Camden guitars a while back. I tried to quiz him on where they got it from, seeing as its a Thomann only brand. He was quite tight lipped about it, so I think they bought it at retail and added about £100 to the price!

If I'm hinest, I came across as being priced alright, had I not known about Thomann.
    hmmI wonder: If I put guitar strings in the top 3 or 4 courses, I could make a very wide range instrument, and active EQ looks good for that
    Maybe... The ball ends on Guitar strings are far snaller than Bass ones. You can get bass strings that thin though. Let me know if you qre serious about doing itband I can point you in the direction of places that do it.
    They are BEADGBE stock, I'm tempted to go F#BEADGB with one. P
    ta

actually now I think about it, 35 inches would be long for a guitar string
    I can get them to fit 30 inch instruments, but 35 would probably be very long

the HB has these fitted: 17-25-40-60-80-100-130
    so 17 is the E an octave below a guitar top E

at that same tension,

with a 12, you get A (220Hz)

9 gets you to D or E

Can you get bass strings as thin as that?

Mate, You can get .070 to .008 bass string sets :) You have to order from the US at $31 a pack + shipping + import BUT they are nice as all hell and will last ages as long as you get the right ones. 
    In a month or two's time I'll be putting an order in for a bunch of 8 string sets for my Agile, and @Is_Ser_Fluffehh 's Schecter. If you fancy them, let me know and I'll order it all together and save a bit on import and shipping. I'll post them on to you when I get them, If you want them that is :)

Here's the page with all their 7 string bass sets. They do Balanced, Traditional, Drop tuned and Fifths sets of strings. Use the little drop down menu thing at the bottom left and it'll see you right. 
     http://circlekstrings.com/store/7-strings.html
    their site says they are incompatible with through-body stringing. Are they just covering themselves?
  • Erm... I've just done a quick ebay search for Harley Benton, everyone's favourite resident luthier seems to be favouring them for his own modifications. Hope we're not going to be cutting in on his action! http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mdphillips1956mark/m.html?item=191492553033&hash=item2c95d87949&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    DannyP said:
    Aw, man. I've got about 4 or 5 ideas now that I can't decide between:

1. Keef Micawber Tribute
    2. ES355 style with a bigsby
    3. Carve some body contours into a Tele, paint it Ocean Turquoise and stick a p90 in the neck
    4 - 5 Take a LP Jr. type or a JM type and turn it into something akin to a Fano Alt De Facto type guitar. I mean, what's the difference between this

...and this...

CLUE: about £2.5K!!!
    I actually prefer the neck on the HB - looks better with binding and block fret markers!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    You know what....I chose this one ^^^^^ as my modified project guitar but i'm going to have to change my mind.
    It actually looks so nice, i would buy it and do very little to it.

Back to the drawing board !
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27476
    Still zilchy contact from Thomann, which I'm a little disappointed with, tbh.

:(

I *could* try DV247 (who have a similarly cheap range, though not quite as extensive) or Gear4Music, or even try people like GAK / Andertons / etc to see whether there's a range that they could supply us with and do us some sort of favour in return for the publicity that they'd be getting.  Or we could just go with Thomann.

Views?

I'll create a new section under the m&m section (like with the kit builds last year), and then everyone who's playing in this challenge can start a new thread for their own project in that section?

Lots of pics, vids and soundclips would be great.  If needs be, I'll sort a proper theFB channel for YT and SoundCloud?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2015
    If no major supplier / shop is prepared to acknowledge our awesome presence then one idea could be to make it so we can use any brand and any shop but it must have an brand new initial cost of £100 or less. (Or another amount that we can all agree on).
    The idea being that you can take a very cheap guitar and make it something special.

This could then include a lot of makes and models.

• Something that would be possibly pretty cool, which is pretty unlikely considering ALL our different tastes, but is sorting out a run of something cheap and Chinese, and see what we all do with them? It would mean the same shape, so not really going to work, but it's a pretty cool concept!
  • TTony said:
    Still zilchy contact from Thomann, which I'm a little disappointed with, tbh.

:(

I *could* try DV247 (who have a similarly cheap range, though not quite as extensive) or Gear4Music, or even try people like GAK / Andertons / etc to see whether there's a range that they could supply us with and do us some sort of favour in return for the publicity that they'd be getting.  Or we could just go with Thomann.

Views?

I'll create a new section under the m&m section (like with the kit builds last year), and then everyone who's playing in this challenge can start a new thread for their own project in that section?

Lots of pics, vids and soundclips would be great.  If needs be, I'll sort a proper theFB channel for YT and SoundCloud?
    Also, I've just tweeted them again, and included the @the_fretboard twitter account :) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27476
    Something that would be possibly pretty cool, which is pretty unlikely considering ALL our different tastes, but is sorting out a run of something cheap and Chinese, and see what we all do with them? It would mean the same shape, so not really going to work, but it's a pretty cool concept!
    I really *do* like that as a concept.

I'd absolutely hate to try and organise it though ...
    :D

@Alnico - that's a good idea too.  Maybe set the purchase cost at £150 for the (new) base guitar?  At least it means that Thomann wouldn't benefit from all of our business.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.