I need *something* for live sample playback

Looking at people like @danny1969 here, but others feel free to chime in! I'm at a bit of a loss...

I just ordered an Akai MPX16, but I should've read reviews... apparently it's really shit; build quality and software issues and it is limiting in that your sample bank is limited to 60mb, and it takes AGES to load the samples when switching banks. So it will probably end up going back.

So I'm after something standalone to playback samples with. They don't necessarily need to be played rhythmically, although our drummer will be doing the triggering. It's mainly for segue noises in between songs and a few atmospheric sounds during quieter bits of our tunes.

I'd love a Roland SPD-SX, but damn ... they're nearly £600. I aint spending that much! Doesn't seem to be much else about.

iPad isn't really an ideal solution either. I don't mind combining a regular sampler with a pad controller of some kind, but portability and cheapness is the overall aim here.

I do have access to a Mandala pad, which might do the trick in terms of triggering. But I'd still need to solve the sampler aspect of it; and it needs to allow as long as you like samples (in practice probably no longer than 2 minutes will be required)

Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Oh... and I don't want to use a laptop. I want a standalone solution.
  • Why not a laptop? Reliability?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Not just that, although it is a factor. But with a laptop you'd need a soundcard and a controller... and I just want to keep it the least bulky as I can.

It is an option I suppose... but I'm going to treat it as a last resort. My laptop is pretty reliable, but I've never used it in a live capacity before.
  • Is it just one long sample played at a time? Or do you NEED drum pad triggers?

Something like a JamMan looper springs to mind. You can scroll up/down through patches with a separate footswitch, the downside being you've only got a numerical display (no patch name, etc).

I have a mate who's done whole gigs using a JamMan as a sample player (replacing the laptop/ableton setup he was using). to play backing tracks.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    How about an iPhone? If you own one you're sorted. Loads of samplers in the App Store - just buy a clip on put it on a mic stand.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Hmm... I don't NEED drum pad triggers, but I was hoping for polyphony. Mainly for future proofing... right now it just needs to be one sample at a time I suppose.

I'll grab the JamMan manual and see what it does!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    These are quite good .. about £115 ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    These are quite good .. about £115 ..

That's what I just bought, but the reviews are terrible, and by all accounts I am expecting to hate it!
    Damnit... should've got the JamMan Stereo. Will have to try and cancel this Akai POS before they ship it on Monday morning!
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    It's a bit spendy, but an Akai MPC will do everything you need and is pretty bulletproof on the reliability front. The MPC 500 can be had for a few hundred quid used. I went through a similar exercise with a band I tech for who wanted to replace a laptop-based set up for something simpler and more reliable. Initially set out looking for something lower budget but nothing else seemed to tick all the boxes.