line 6 MM4 - should I buy if at the right price?

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
I'm moving away v slowly from my GT-8 based rig coz I just use it as a bunch of stomps and it is a ballache to fiddle with live.  It has enabled me to work out what I use the most (in the current band).  so I'm using wah, volume, compressor, delay and a tad of chorus at the mo.  all my distortion comes from the amp (but I do have a nice bad monkey begging to get used)

anyway - on to the question

I'm tracking a currently cheap line 6 MM4 modulator jobbie.  Do you recon this would be good as part of a reasonable quality pedal set up? - As I don't use flange/phase/chorus too much , I'm guessing that I can save a bit of board space and get some good models to use when I need them from the Line 6 but in an easier setup than the GT-8.

ta

Nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    I'd be inclined to buy a Zoom G3 or a Line6 M5
    Those four button Line6 boxes are getting long in the tooth.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    These Line6 boxes don't have a good reputation for reliability - most of the complaints are about the DL-4 but I can't see any reason the others should be any different, I think it's just that the DL-4 is by far the most common.

It doesn't save much board space either - it's huge... about the size of three Boss pedals (including the spaces between them), so you're probably better just getting two or three standard pedals. It does have some cool effects that you probably wouldn't want to dedicate a space to on the offchance that you'd want them occasionally, but for almost the same footprint you could have a Zoom G3 which does far more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I found there was a volume drop issue on mine when I had it. Sold it 'cos I couldn't live with it etc. Read on other forums that was a known issue
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    nice one guys - thank you - have googled the volume drop and reliability issues.  sod that....etc (irrespective of price).  also rules out the DL4 for similar reasons.....

I'll have a look at the zoom unit - thanks for that (fairly cheap too!).  The M5 isn't quite versatile enough whereas the Zoom's ability to have three stomps and put them into banks looks pretty good conceptually.  And as I won't be using the compressor, delay or drive then I guess the other models will be good enough to cover the rest of it.

cheers

nick
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Either a G3, or individual stompies.

I have both.

The G3 is dead easy to use, even for a multi F/X noob like me.

The advantage of individuals is you can change a single pedal for a different flavour. IE you could use a Boss instead of an MXR.

The G3's advantage is it's a whole lot of F/X in one.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I like my G3 i have to say, it's currently sat in an fx loop with 6 reverbs set in the available spaces (didn't know if you were aware it does 6 simultaneously not 3, if you update the firmware) and its great just don't use their presets.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    I like my G3 i have to say, it's currently sat in an fx loop with 6 reverbs set in the available spaces (didn't know if you were aware it does 6 simultaneously not 3, if you update the firmware) and its great just don't use their presets.
    you like your reverbs!!
  • Ha i don't have all six on at once, that would be an interesting experiment though eh! Normally only one or two at once, the Air one, then Spring+Hall.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    You could have a look at the Source Audio Orbital. Almost no chance of finding one used (as they are a new product) but versatile modulation and two presets on a small footprint pedal.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.